Author Topic: New graphic engine?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: New graphic engine?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »

Arma 3 has a 10km vis range, I'm down for that in AH.  :)

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
It would be nice to see the terrain mesh itself given a bit higher resolution, that would help with features like hills and mountains.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

What's the framerate like when you get 50 or so planes onscreen though?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »
What's the framerate like when you get 50 or so planes onscreen though?

Wiley.

I don't know, depends on your PC.  ;) And Arma 3 on low still looks 10x better than AH on max. I'd rather have the option to go max than none at all.

semp

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »
I'm not so bothered by the terrains as I am the office I spend all my flight time in. Frankly the original Mario and Donkey Kong wouldn't be out of place in many of the cockpits, and even the newest cockpits come off antiquated (graphically not historically).

Additionally some effort needs to spent on optimizing self-shadow. I've noticed I do get flight attitude and performance information from the shadows by just using them peripherally while scanning for or tracking a target. They just look awful and appear to suck up more video computing then the rest of the game together.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
I was a Warbirds customer for a very long time. When they decided to upgrade to a new graphics engine the FM's did not port over. All that hard work by the programmers was lost forever. Customers left in big numbers. I don't want to see that happen to AH. it is a great sim.  There is allot to do, whether you like tanks, fighters, pt boats, bombers, or WW1 planes..........there is always something to have fun with. I have a really good graphics card with everything set to max and it looks better than most of my son's Xbox games.

:salute

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »
Also, keep in mind we JUST got specular and bump mapping on aircraft and vehicles, and not all the skins have been updated to take advantage of that yet (speaking of, need to get to work on upgrading my Corsair skins...) That will make a HUGE difference once more of the skins have those maps applied.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:14 PM »
. . . and in specular mapping alone the artists have just scratched the surface on the potential.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »

Are you sure about that? In real life I consider 6.2 miles a very very hazy day.

All images at 14600
default ah

10Km

default ah

10Km

HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
bbbuurrrrnnn

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »
Are you sure about that? In real life I consider 6.2 miles a very very hazy day.
HiTech

I agree with HiTech. If you fly VFR on a day anywhere close to minimums (3 miles) it feels like you're flying in a little claustrophobic sphere. 20 mile visibility is a common day in the Great Plains but a rarer clear day you can see substantially further (~35 miles).
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »

All images at 14600
default ah

10Km

default ah
10Km

HiTech

Sure, if it means closer distance between bases and more fights, why not? At the same time allowing a ton of better visuals, damn, hook me up. AH has two thing that I like, big amount of players and realistic flight models (how realistic, I can't say because I never flown, but it sure feels more challenging). If any other flight sim pops up in the future with these two qualities and with graphics like the ones in the Arma 3 screenshot, I'm out.

It wouldn't have to have an objective, beyond shooting down other players. A DA lake sized map with those 2 qualities and I'm in flight sim heaven.

semp

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »
It would be nice to see the terrain mesh itself given a bit higher resolution, that would help with features like hills and mountains.

+1

AH textures, plane models, and even buildings and trees are first rate.  The coarse polygonal terrain, however, detracts from the immersion.  The terrain polygons are triangles 0.5 mi x 0.5 mi x 0.707 mile.  The new AH terrain screen shots in this thread look really good, but those fine scale erosion features are just part of the texture; if you fly down low they are part of the flat terrain polygon face and don't have any relief. 

However, AH must always fight the fact that the terrains are huge and so are the view distances, so there must be trade offs.  For example, if you made a modest improvement in terrain resolution down to 0.125 mile that would mean 16 times as much elevation data in terrain files and 16 times as many terrain polygons to render in a view.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »

All images at 14600
default ah

10Km

default ah
10Km

HiTech

How long did it take to earn all those stars?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
Cyan gunsight I see...  smart man.   :aok