Author Topic: new joy... stick  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Re: new joy... stick
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
I've had my CH stuff since around 2003.  The Fighterstick and Pro Throttle do everything they originally did and I have no regrets in dropping the money on those.

The only issue I had was with the pedals, which I no longer use (although I still have them).  The wiring inside was a little shabby.  After about the first year of use I started having problems getting them to work.  After opening up the unit I could see the wiring had not be down well or secured away from the moving parts.  This combined with the poor design of the USB cable connecting point to the pedal base really disappointed me.  I fixed it a couple of times, but it just really stopped being worth it to me.  So, I just use the little joystick on the Pro Throttle to control the rudder and I have the brakes programmed to the hat switch (which works perfect).

The only thing I could say I would love to see improved is the spring in the Fighterstick to be a little tighter (or at least allow for an adjustment).  It centers fine it is just a preference thing (I would like a little more resistance).

I know they are not for everyone and not everyone's experience will be the same, but I recommend the CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle.  They have been worth everything I paid for them!
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 12:36:01 PM »
My 52 Pro is a few years old and controls are like new.  I did have issues with an X52 setup that was plagued with issues from birth, but I also have (my son still uses) my original X52 set from 2005 or so that is still flawless.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
Blammo, Dragon thank you for your opinions. It's very nice to hear from real device owners.

For now I'm leaning to CH FighterStick + CH Pro Rudder + Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals combo. At least I can always buy x52 pro, but I can't get CH stuff for life here. The only concern are potentiometers in CH products. I had negative experience with pots in TM TopGun stick. Saitek's are a lot better but they are spiking heavily now after about 5 years of mild usage. Also now CH ceased to ship components for end users and repairs only under 2 years warranty. It's a shame for such famous company, I think.
AH: impulse9

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 07:14:53 AM »
My X52 is as good now as it was 4 years ago - no center slack.  I have heard more than a few here tout a combination of ch stick & throttle with saitek pedals.  I like the Saitek pedals - a bit wider than ch.  I only used ch pedals once so not enough to say if they're better in the game.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »
Blammo, Dragon thank you for your opinions. It's very nice to hear from real device owners.

For now I'm leaning to CH FighterStick + CH Pro Rudder + Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals combo. At least I can always buy x52 pro, but I can't get CH stuff for life here. The only concern are potentiometers in CH products. I had negative experience with pots in TM TopGun stick. Saitek's are a lot better but they are spiking heavily now after about 5 years of mild usage. Also now CH ceased to ship components for end users and repairs only under 2 years warranty. It's a shame for such famous company, I think.

I've had my CH stick for more than 5 years and have only calibrated it a few times. No spiking that I can notice while flying but with the "raw" view up you see a bit. Of course I don't fly hundreds of hours any more so that might help it hold out longer. I do hope that some day someone comes up with a kit to switch over the pots to Hall Effects Sensors.

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »
CH FighterStick + CH Pro Throttle + Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

I'm happy    :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FA_Refugee

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
My Thrustmaster 16000 has proved to be a good choice for about the last 18 months.  My first stick was a 3D Pro.  I never could get a comfortable grip and had to build up a soft grip with a medical grade bandage to use it.  The 3d pro started spiking after about 1 year so I returned it and took the 16000.
I'm going to get another just to have as a backup.
Weizel

"Vodka without beer and truffles is like throwing money in the wind."

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »
I had my TM cougar, for 8 years , now switched to TM Warthog.

Sensor hall pots lasts probably 4ever

only programming the script editor is a PITA. GUI programming for simpler tasks are ok.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
So...
While being on business trip to states I bought CH FighterStick, CH Pro Throttle and Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals combo.

Need to say that I'm a little bit disappointed with pots quality in those products. There is constant spikes in throttle axis and in rudder. Also left toe break axis do not return to zero if released gently.

Anyway I'm happy with my new toys for now and getting used to them in offline flight. Wish me luck setting up (and remembering) those insane amount of buttons :-)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »
So...
While being on business trip to states I bought CH FighterStick, CH Pro Throttle and Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals combo.

Need to say that I'm a little bit disappointed with pots quality in those products. There is constant spikes in throttle axis and in rudder. Also left toe break axis do not return to zero if released gently.

Anyway I'm happy with my new toys for now and getting used to them in offline flight. Wish me luck setting up (and remembering) those insane amount of buttons :-)

I've had spiking problems until I started running my joystick and pedals off of a powered USB hub.  That solved it.  (My motherboard USB's power transistors just weren't up to it.)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »
I have never had a spiking issue with either of my CH Sticks.  I have always ran them on a powered USB Hub, so that may be the difference.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »
make sure your dials are centred,  powered USB hub. 

I've had mine near 6 years and they might need the odd calibration but you would have to prize them out of my cold dead hands before I use any other crap on the market.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
guys who have had ch sticks for years and years hardly have any problems.  while those who bought in the the last few years have problems.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
Hello.

Thank for comments everyone. I've just picked up dlink powered usb hub (7 port DUB-H7). Spiking on throttle in full backwards position almost gone. But nevertheless axis value jumps a little bit (by 400-500 in AH map controllers menu) when I have my hand on throttle and try to move it around in that position. As for saitek pedals that  plugged in the same hub, spiking in central position persists. I think that it's because saitek installing toejamty pots in their "pro" products.