Author Topic: Solociting HOTAS/gear recommendations  (Read 1218 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Solociting HOTAS/gear recommendations
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
Hey folks,

After flying a bit I have come to realize that not only am I rusty (just plain suck),  I am at a severe disadvantage with my $25 logitik joystick.

So I am in the market for a gear upgrade. Any recommendations are appreciated.

My PC is running Windows 7 64 bit.

- Radeon 6950
- Asrock Extreme MB
- I-7 OC'ed to 4.3 Ghz
- USB 3.0

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:19:19 AM by -ammo- »
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Solociting HOTAS/gear recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
On the budget side the current must have among AH'ers: Thrustmaster T-16000m. Smooth, highly accurate, inexpensive ($50 or so).

Read down this forum to find opinions about this and other sticks/Hotas systems, plenty of threads during the last few months alone.

I don't quite understand why you gave the specs of your puter, but a) it is and will be a high end rig concerning AH for many years from now and b) any current USB joystick or other gaming device is fully compatible with it.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »
Thx Biz.  

The reason I gave the pertinent specs I honestly am not sure if its applicable - better to give it now if it helps.

I used CH analog devices when I was previously active in AH.  Also, an old squaddie have me a CH fighter stick (USB) and I couldn't get it to work.  Could be me or the stick/computer; not sure.

I'm not terribly worried about money, but I do want value. I want a combo that works well with AH with a minimum of tweeking or fuss.  I want rudder pedals and a quality stick at a minimum.  Plenty of POV hats and enough buttons for quick trimming in flight.

I have seen some TM and Saitek HOTAS over $400 and have to wonder if its worth it for a WWII sim.

Lastly,  thanks for replying and invite others to share their experiences with equipment as well.  I'll quit being lazy and do some searching.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:13:45 AM by -ammo- »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »
I have all USB CH products, fighter stick, pro throttle, and pro pedals. I've had them for years with almost zero issues (had one direction hat switch go, replaced it from my old analog set). The only think I'd like to see is a Hall Sensor kit for it. From what I've read hall sensors are much more accurate with less chance of the inputs jumping around.

$400 for a setup is worth it for some people for a WWII sim/game. All you have to decide is if your one of those people  :devil

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
I have the X-52 and saitek pedals.  Used them with a powered usb hub from day one with no problems.  Now 4 years old.  No problems with hardware and works flawlessly in AH.  Lots of buttons and hat switches with 3 modes on the stick that can give each button different functions.  There are rotary buttons that can be assigned to trim.  My set up - non pro version - was about $100 less than a full ch setup when I bought it.  Still happy with it.  I have nothing against ch.  Just a satisfied saitek user.  You pay your money and take your choice.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:15:08 AM »
I have full CH USB, the TM Warthog, and Saitek Combat peds.  I think the Saitek Combat pedals are the best bang for the buck, I find them more comfortable than the CH pedals, as they are wider apart, and have a sturdier construction by a small margin.  As for sticks and throttles, I've tried my bro in laws Saitek X52Pro, and it's decent enough, better than my old X45, but I still think that the CH Fighter or Combat stick more precise and smooth, and the best choice for WW2/AH2 where aim is critical.

For other sims like Jet sims from DCS, I use the Warthog, as being spot on with gunnery isn't nearly as important.

I would avoid the Saitek X65 for WW2 sims myself.  I know some noted sticks in the game like S-Hawk have figured out how to make them work, but they are counter intuitive for precise aiming IMO and take a lot of effort and time to get used to, as it's a stick that works like the real life F16 and F22, by sensing pressure and not moving more than a couple milometers if at all.  Plus it's very expensive and prone to problems from the tech support boards I've read.  Every manufacturer you can read horror stories about, I know that the TM Warthog has a bad rep for certain parts failing too.  That said, CH seems to have the best overall rep for longetivity and sturdiness.  I've had 2 full sets of CH USB gear in the last 11 or 12 years, and one set came as a review freebie back when I did some reviews for a website on hardware, and all three units still work great on a friends system all these years later.

So, since you said $ isn't an issue, but value is, going with the CH stuff IMO is the best route to take.  You can even get by with just picking up each part of the stick/rudder/throttle a unit at a time if you can't afford the 300+ it'll cost, but if that isn't an big deal to you, I'd just get the CH stick and throttle, and buy the Saitek Combat pedals to go with them.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
Gman - et al,

Thanks for the replies.

I dropped a considerable amount of coin on CH equipment today.  Pro pedals, fighterstick, and pro throttle.  Should be here NLT 4 May.. to say the least, I am a bit excited!

ammo

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »
Gman - et al,

Thanks for the replies.

I dropped a considerable amount of coin on CH equipment today.  Pro pedals, fighterstick, and pro throttle.  Should be here NLT 4 May.. to say the least, I am a bit excited!

ammo

Coolio! Good to see ya back! :salute
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:55:59 AM »
Coolio! Good to see ya back! :salute

Danke Sehr!  See ya in the arena.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
I have all USB CH products, fighter stick, pro throttle, and pro pedals. I've had them for years with almost zero issues (had one direction hat switch go, replaced it from my old analog set). The only think I'd like to see is a Hall Sensor kit for it. From what I've read hall sensors are much more accurate with less chance of the inputs jumping around.

$400 for a setup is worth it for some people for a WWII sim/game. All you have to decide is if your one of those people  :devil

Is the CH fighterstick compatible with Windows 7?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »
If it's USB, it should be. If it's a gameport model, a gameport to USB converter cable might work, or then again not.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »
Gman - et al,

Thanks for the replies.

ammo

You've made the right choice by selecting Ch.  My pedals and throttle are over ten years old.  In that span I did have to replace my Ch fighterstick 7 years ago.
All are USB...and some advice.....use a powered USB Hub.  Less wear and tear on the PC.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »
Is the CH fighterstick compatible with Windows 7?

absolutely :aok

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »
CH stuff  :aok

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 11:18:55 AM »
I use a Logitech G940.  It has some issues, and logitech has abandoned it, but the force feedback is invaluable.  I've been flying nearly 3 years with it no problems.