Author Topic: Solociting HOTAS/gear recommendations  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: Solociting HOTAS/gear recommendations
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »
I use a Logitech G940.  It has some issues, and logitech has abandoned it, but the force feedback is invaluable.  I've been flying nearly 3 years with it no problems.

Same here.  Lovely idea mixed with bad engineering.  I am having hard time imagining myself without force feedback now. 

Please don't break any further G940.   :pray
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
Not even bad engineering, just version 1.0.  80% of the issue was the drivers, 20% could have been solved with hall effect sensors on the throttle and pedals and another half-inch of wire in the throttle wires, and hall sensors on all axis would have made it perfect.  However they were slow to fix the initial driver problem, took a lot of flack on it, and dropped the product rather than deal.

There's a great market opportunity out there for an FFB startup.

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:12 AM »
Not even bad engineering, just version 1.0.  80% of the issue was the drivers, 20% could have been solved with hall effect sensors on the throttle and pedals and another half-inch of wire in the throttle wires, and hall sensors on all axis would have made it perfect.  However they were slow to fix the initial driver problem, took a lot of flack on it, and dropped the product rather than deal.

There's a great market opportunity out there for an FFB startup.

I modded my G940 by rewiring all of the axes on the throttle and pedals to a separate "Bodnar" controller board.  It made things amazingly better - even with reusing the factory pots.

The problem with the stick (aside from the cheap wiring in the throttle) is all about the programming in the firmware.

A couple links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZlUWwOJUN0
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3323724/G940_MOD_Warning_large_picture.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:22:51 AM by LCAMerciful »

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 05:01:30 AM »
@ LCAMerciful - Thanks for the links, I've seen the simhq thread before - the issue is just time to do the mods.

Back when the stick was new I told logitech I'd rewrite their code free (I've got a lot of background in signal processing), but that got the predictable lack of response.  Le sigh...