Author Topic: Ki-84's and extreme diving...  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: Ki-84's and extreme diving...
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
Manual trim has been my friend with the 84 at high speeds.

I fly 109s at high speeds with manual trimming (especially when near compression in a dive), but not the Ki...I'll give it a go tonight or tomorrow.
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
Hmmmm....I don't remember a tail hook on the N1K2 (tho' I fly it so seldom it could be there for all I know)  ....guess they didnt really have any CVs by the time it was introduced so why bother!

The Navy wasn't just using CV's. They had a huge land-based component as well (just as the Army had actually a few aircraft carriers of their own). See the G4m "Betty", a land based bomber, but a plane of the IJN. An IJA counterpart to that one would be the Ki-48, for example.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »
Hmmmm....I don't remember a tail hook on the N1K2 (tho' I fly it so seldom it could be there for all I know)  ....guess they didnt really have any CVs by the time it was introduced so why bother!

n1k was intro initially as a boatplane... so there goes its navy origins.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 11:13:46 AM »
Hmmmm....I don't remember a tail hook on the N1K2 (tho' I fly it so seldom it could be there for all I know)  ....guess they didnt really have any CVs by the time it was introduced so why bother!

apparentyl the army had their own cv's and the n1k was just a land based plane operated by the navy.
Navy gulfstreams don't have tailhooks...
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »
Manual trim has been my friend with the 84 at high speeds.

its annoying (but it sure does keeps me in one piece piece now) when i have to override auto trim @ 400 ias ias extreme dive and set it neutral..... nose up effect kicks in as mitsu said a pg earlier so it doesnt break up comically.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »
Army planes are always Ki-x.

Navy planes are always LetterNumberLetterNumber.

The first letter is for the plane's role.  A = carrier fighter, J = land based fighter, N = float plane fighter, D = dive bomber, B = carrier based level/torpedo bomber, G = land based level/torpedo bomber, H = flying boat

The first number is how many such have been in service. For example the A6M was the sixth carrier based fighter in IJN service.

The second letter is for the plane's manufacturer.  A = Aichi, D = Douglas, K = Kawanishi, M = Mitsubishi, N = Nakajima, Y = Yokosuka

The second number is the mark number.  For example, the A6M3 is the Mk III of the A6M.

A lower case third letter would be a sub-varient of the mark.  For example the A6M5 also had the A6M5a, A6M5b (the one in AH) and the A6M5c.

A dash and a letter would mean that the original design had been modified to a new role, with the new role's letter being placed here.  For example the N1K2-J is the Mk II (2) version of a land based fighter (-J) based on the first (1) float plane fighter (N) in the IJN and was built by Kawanishi (K).

N1K1 Kyufu "Rex":

N1K1-J Shiden "George":

N1K2-J Shiden-Kai "George 21":
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, Karnak. I knew Army planes had the "Ki", but had never seen the naval system explained.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)