Author Topic: Bomber Formations  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Onyx13

• Zinc Member
Bomber Formations
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »
How about the ability to change the formation of Bombers. Line, Line abreast, or echelon. You could use dot comands to change.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Bomber Formations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Ever seen a "line abreast" bomber formation?   ;)   However, I do wish players could change the distance between their drones and themselves.  Maybe a +/- 100 yards from default.  Me thinks the Mossi B Mk 16's would be further apart with their cookies than a flight of B17's dropping 250 lb bombs on an industrial complex. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »
What about changing the "convergence" between the bombers' bullet streams?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
What about changing the "convergence" between the bombers' bullet streams?

would like to know how you would set convergence first.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
one way might be in the hangar like you would in any other plane except in a bomber formation the convergence would be for the 3 aircraft. The other way might be the way we set the range on 88s with the c/v keys.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
one way might be in the hangar like you would in any other plane except in a bomber formation the convergence would be for the 3 aircraft. The other way might be the way we set the range on 88s with the c/v keys.

in a fighter the guns are fixed while in a bomber they move independent of each other.   it was a trick question.

you can't set convergence in a bomber.

semp

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »
in a fighter the guns are fixed while in a bomber they move independent of each other.   it was a trick question.

you can't set convergence in a bomber.

semp

Why not? My meager programing knowledge tells me that HTC probably uses an algorithm with a variable in place of a fixed range, both for the gun positions on the single bomber, and for the drones. Giving the player control of the variable that they use to set convergence range would allow it to be quite easily.

It would have to be a dot command though because while the convergence of a singe bombers gun positions could be set in the hangar, the drones would need to be set in flight.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »
I said you can't meaning you shouldn't.  guns in bombers...   forget it you won't understand.

semp

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »
"You won't understand." I hear that a lot. I wonder why people need to think that a concept is more complex than it actually is.

This is a simple idea, you set the convergence for the guns on your bomber, you then set the convergence for the guns on the drones. You tower out and the changes take effect. Players should be able to set their guns to kill a target at the range they feel comfortable with. If they want to set it for D400, then let them. The bad guy can sling taters at him from D600 and wreck his plane in safety. It's a learning process that all players go through.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
"You won't understand." I hear that a lot. I wonder why people need to think that a concept is more complex than it actually is.

This is a simple idea, you set the convergence for the guns on your bomber, you then set the convergence for the guns on the drones. You tower out and the changes take effect. Players should be able to set their guns to kill a target at the range they feel comfortable with. If they want to set it for D400, then let them. The bad guy can sling taters at him from D600 and wreck his plane in safety. It's a learning process that all players go through.

Ok .... think about this. How did they set convergence for bomber formations and how do you expect to mimic that through coding again?  :lol

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
to simplify in a fighter you set convergence by aiming each mg to hit at the same distance  then you stop the mgs from moving or the convergence is gone.   normally they set up a can or water jug to mark the distance,  they raised the tail as to make the plane level. then each mg is adjusted individually.

in a bomber it can't be done as each mg is not fixed and moves independently of each other not taking into account that drones sometimes don't follow you at exact same distance and heading.

and you are right it is possible to code so the convergence is the same regardless of movement but that wouldn't be realistic as in ww2 it wasn't possible.

sorry if I don't make sense but I'm celebrating, my girlfriend sat at the wrong slot machine in Vegas and won 2000 bucks   :cheers:.

semp

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

that's amazing, perhaps you could explain to the rest of us how one would adjust guns bolted down on unadjustable mounts. i'm surprised it wasn't possible to adjust convergence any of the gun positions on b-17s, you were born too late.
perhaps you have figured out how you would adjust the convergence on a gun position with a single gun in it?

the last twin m2 mount i got to play with didn't have a convergence adjustment (horizontal or vertical) on the mounting plates. it just pivoted.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »
I remember something about adjusting the guns on the B-17 turrets. As I recall they were set to converge at 1000 yards. Only makes sense that they could be adjusted, you would want both guns hitting where the sight was pointed.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
that's amazing, perhaps you could explain to the rest of us how one would adjust guns bolted down on unadjustable mounts. i'm surprised it wasn't possible to adjust convergence any of the gun positions on b-17s, you were born too late.
perhaps you have figured out how you would adjust the convergence on a gun position with a single gun in it?

Your sarcasm has been noted, but not well received. I have a growing list of personal problems right now that is souring my mood quite rapidly. I'm asking nicely to please be respectful, I don't appreciate being talked down to.

As for the topic, I read somewhere on the forum before that there are three separate convergences for the bombers. Convergence for the guns in each position, convergence for the different gun positions on the plane, convergence for the drones. This is set D700 dead six on the lead aircraft. I fail to see where I talked about adjusting the convergence of the guns in a single position. I stated that the convergence for the gun positions could be given to gunner control (bottom and tail converge at D400 instead of D700).

Thank you Semp for clarifying, your side of the argument makes more sense now. I do agree with you that while the convergence adjustment could be done, it should not. Heavy bombers are deadly enough as it is, let alone someone like 999000 getting their hands on something like that.

As for the OP:

-1 for different bomber formations, I feel it brings nothing to the table tactically.

However,

+1 for changing the following distance of drones. This could add better bomb/damage dispersion among some of the bombers.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
Y'all are forgetting that for each individual gun station, you have a virtual little person there using his own virtual brain and virtual muscles to make the virtual mental calculations regarding firing from a moving target, at a moving target, with moving projectiles.

The fact that our 'bullet streams' from bomber formations converge at all is almost a miracle.

Quit asking for more.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok