Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 755 times)

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
Re: Ticks
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »
I have had good luck with vicks vapor rub, or Vaseline, as said earlier it smothers them and cant breathe.  I have used vicks probably a dozen or so times and Vaseline a couple.  have also used a lighter, a match, tweezers.  they also make a tick remoal kit that has a tick remover.  looks like a wonder bars nail puller hole

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »
Rock paper scissors as to who is gonna suck the poison out  :O
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
Rock paper scissors as to who is gonna suck the poison out  :O
NOT IT!! :neener: :lol
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Don't smear some stuff on it and wait for it to let go. The longer it's on you the better chance you get a tick bourne illness.

Just grab it as close to the skin as possible with tweezers and pull it straight out, don't twist it one way or another.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
enjoy lyme disease

My son had it once. fortunately we caught it pretty early.
I have a customer who's wife ended up suffering neurological damage because it went undiagnosed for so long
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
Talk about consumming hot sauce, I wonder if hot sauce directly on the tick will do anything?

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
Don't smear some stuff on it and wait for it to let go. The longer it's on you the better chance you get a tick bourne illness.

Just grab it as close to the skin as possible with tweezers and pull it straight out, don't twist it one way or another.

yup as far as lymes disease goes, I have read both 48 and 72 hours it takes for the tick to transmit the disease. Just get tweezers and pull it out.Thats what I do anyway.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »
My son and I picked up some ticks riding horses though a rainforest a couple years ago while on vacation.  They can drop down from the trees and you don't feel them. Put a hot match near their abdomen and they will pull out. My doctor put us on antibiotics for a week as a precaution. The bites did swell up and it took about two weeks to go away. When you travel abroad you need to check the horse carefully before going for a ride. Have your doctor give you an antibiotic as you never know what disease they might be carrying.

<S>

There are tons of species, this just one found on dogs.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:06:29 PM by Mano »
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
Two years ago I went camping on Memorial day and was bit by a tick that was infected with rocky mountain spotted fever bacteria.  About a week later I suddenly started getting VERY sick and had an extremely itchy red rash break out all over my body in the space of a couple of hours.  I had a bite on my forearm that didn't swell but got deeper and deeper purple and the ring of color grew to about the size of a quarter and itched like crazy.  I thought maybe it was a spider bite and I was having a severe histamine reaction.  The ER doc said, that doesn't look like a spider bite at all, but have you been bitten by any ticks recently? 

They gave me the specific antibiotic to knock out the bacteria, but it can be a deadly illness.  Even with the antibiotics, the rash and incredible itch lasted two more weeks.  I couldn't even sleep with a blanket on, felt like it was made of sandpaper. 

My point here is use Off, use the hell out of it, and reapply. Some things ticks have can very literally kill you.
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
I get that you don't want an open flame near your arse.... Hell I think most people would agree on that  :bolt:

But the best thing IMHO is heat. If you don't have the steady hands or a significant other for this grooming process, simply use a heated paperclip or other small metal object like the handle of a utensil. Heat it up until the metal is red hot and then simply hover the heated object over the tick (to avoid burning yourself) but even better is touching the tick with the heated object as they will react immediately, by releasing their bite.

The reason heat works better is the tick will pull it's head out of your skin due to the heat. If you pluck or pull ticks, there's a chance that their head will remain embedded in your skin, effectively increasing the odds of a tick borne disease.

Best thing to do is to ensure you do a "tick" check if you have been in areas known to the parasite. Like a few people said, the little buggers are not easy to detect and doing a thorough self-examination is key.
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »
"Prompt removal of ticks decreases the chances of getting Lyme disease. The proper and easiest method is to grasp the tick with fine tweezers, as near the skin as you can, and gently pull it straight out. Be careful not to squeeze the tick when removing it which could result in more bacteria being injected.

Do not try to remove the tick with your fingers or attempt to remove with lighted cigarettes, matches, nail polish, or Vaseline. Doing this causes the tick to regurgitate its stomach contents into your bloodstream. "

http://www.lymeticks.org/if-bitten

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 03:04:50 AM »
"Prompt removal of ticks decreases the chances of getting Lyme disease. The proper and easiest method is to grasp the tick with fine tweezers, as near the skin as you can, and gently pull it straight out. Be careful not to squeeze the tick when removing it which could result in more bacteria being injected.

Do not try to remove the tick with your fingers or attempt to remove with lighted cigarettes, matches, nail polish, or Vaseline. Doing this causes the tick to regurgitate its stomach contents into your bloodstream. "

http://www.lymeticks.org/if-bitten

Was just about to write that - it's the worst possible idea to try to suffocate the tick unless you especially want to get sick.

They sell tick lasso's which work very well for tick removal, even better than tweezers. You lasso the head of the tick, spin it around a couple of times and yank it off.

Oh and be sure to use home test kit for lymes disease or take it to the doctor to find out if you need antibiotics. Some ticks also carry a nasty meningitis virus which can either kill you or leave you paralyzed for life. My whole family was vaccinated against this this summer.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:07:27 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone