Author Topic: P38L Dive Flap Sound?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
P38L Dive Flap Sound?
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
I would assume HT would have to make software changes to incorporate the L's dive flap operation sound since it is not a listed sound in the "Advanced" sound section.

If I remember right the P47s with dive flaps don't make a sound either in AH.

I will add it to the wish list if there is not already a way to add this sound.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: P38L Dive Flap Sound?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »
Not sure if you'd be able to hear it.  Sounds pretty quiet from this video.

Dive flaps are shown around 3:15  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nddCJbcdI
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
I would assume HT would have to make software changes to incorporate the L's dive flap operation sound since it is not a listed sound in the "Advanced" sound section.

If I remember right the P47s with dive flaps don't make a sound either in AH.

I will add it to the wish list if there is not already a way to add this sound.

You wouldn't hear it over those Twin Allison's   :cheers:
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:40 AM »
You wouldn't hear it over those Twin Allison's   :cheers:

I t would be helpful to hear a confirmation sound though when in a tight situation.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »
I t would be helpful to hear a confirmation sound though when in a tight situation.

Dive flaps are not used in a "tight situation". They are deployed BEFORE your dive run and retracted as soon as possible once you have dropped.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »
Dive flaps are not used in a "tight situation". They are deployed BEFORE your dive run and retracted as soon as possible once you have dropped.

"Tight situation" in this context is  a dive albeit I have been experimenting with them in different situations.  The 38 is complex and I have yet to master all of its performance features.

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:36:45 AM »

Dive Flaps if deployed in a turn will pitch the nose up as I believe it moves the centre of pressure rearward on the wing. 

<S>
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:03:26 AM »
Dive Flaps if deployed in a turn will pitch the nose up as I believe it moves the centre of pressure rearward on the wing. 

<S>

They might add a certain degree of instantaneous turn rate at high speed but the effectiveness of the dive recovery flap drops significantly as speed drops. At normal turn speed use of the recovery flap world provide negligible results.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
If HTC gives us a dive flap sound someday, Fruda's flap sound in his effects package might be real close.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »
If HTC gives us a dive flap sound someday, Fruda's flap sound in his effects package might be real close.

It's obvious from this video that the engine sounds are spot on. ;)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »

<S>

They might add a certain degree of instantaneous turn rate at high speed but the effectiveness of the dive recovery flap drops significantly as speed drops. At normal turn speed use of the recovery flap world provide negligible results.

You both are correct, the dive flaps are useful in helping in a high speed turn if you're above 350mph IAS but below that speed, useless.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Combat Trim will greatly influence the effect of the dive flaps, or so I've heard or read.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
Combat Trim will greatly influence the effect of the dive flaps, or so I've heard or read.

Corrrect. When using them together CT will tend to negate the effect of the recovery flap by compensating for nose level. You don't want this to happen. You want the recovery flap to give you nose up, which it will do if used by itself at higher speeds. You just have to remember to toggle it BEFORE you pick up speed. Once you're too fast it's not gonna have much of an effect. The reason is the airflow you're trying to re-direct with the flap will already be messed up and because of that you'll lose pitch authority. So have a switch mapped to it for when going nose down.

CT isn't really much of a help in the 38 as you don't have anything going on in the yaw or roll planes due to the lack of torque with the counter rotating props. It seems to cause a lot of bounciness that messes up my already pathetic gunnery! I'll use it as a sort of "quick trim" at a given speed. Toggle it on and then off right away and you're good to go until you change speeds. I prefer a bit nose down normally and adjust for that with elevator trim. But when I need to avoid augering--I need to avoid augering! CT will only help you hit the ground better in the 38. I spaced that out once last night and became one with a hill!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
I keep flip-floping back and forth on CT.  I think I got lazy.  I had not thought about CT trim effect on the dive flap.  I will start toggling it off more often Drano and Fuseman.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
I keep flip-floping back and forth on CT.  I think I got lazy.  I had not thought about CT trim effect on the dive flap.  I will start toggling it off more often Drano and Fuseman.

That was just a moldy synapse that fired for the last time. Take my advice and listen to me less!!!
On the other hand, Drano is a more well versed P-38 driver than I could, or will, ever be.
And yes that is driver, not pilot.

Here's a 'z' in case you need one.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54