Author Topic: Step into the wayback machine.  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
Re: Step into the wayback machine.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »
Deathstars weren't hard to shoot down in AW, as long as the bomber was flying realistically but that never happened with the bombers in AW.  The bombers in AW were actually amongst the best turners in the game, with the B-17 probably being the best one as it was able to out turn/stall fight a Zeke.  That's what made the Deathstars fun to fly, getting into a massive turn fight with other planes while your gunners blaze away.

But there were serious technical limitations, it was actually kind of difficult to get a full crew together because of the various connection issues.  A lot of times it was difficult to get another player to be able to successfully join your crew due to them being discoed as soon as they joined or during flight.  There were quite a few times when my squad would take up a Deathstar and we'd lose most of the gunners due to being discoed.

ack-ack

Lol that was one of my specialties the DeathStar Especially when Weadi, Tcat9,Imd1, Deaco and No1/4 and Booki was in the guns' man they were the day's  :rofl b-17 out turning everyone w/o ripping wings off
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:59:15 PM »
humm.. terrain/sky looks better or at least the same as we have today.. 8)

It did not look better in any way shape or form.  

vs

Offline Larokkit

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:06 AM »
Flying super lo and vulching in a death star was sooo fun.  Loved AW ,still have the manual. But hell if i can remember my handle in the game . Flew with Rebel Air Force...=RAF=.  Free on AOHELL!

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

vs

Yeah kappa is either joking or something's wrong with him.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:33 AM »
It always cracked me up when a game company uses better graphics in its into then it has in the game
True but all the best games back then did. Xcom, civ, age of empires, you name it. Let's face it who would want to see an intro in 1990 game graphics?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
What's funny is that I went to high school and played in a band with Dale Homburg. I remember him and his mom working on those cockpits and other 2d graphics. Electric paintbrush was the company. I also think they might've used our high school pictures to be used as characters in there, or maybe some other submarine games. (Harpoon?)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »

vs

For those of us who never imagined we could fly and fight against someone real in a cartoon airplane, AW looked fantastic.  It really shows how far we've come and how expectations have changed.   There were a lot more of us then who had grown up flying around model airplanes thinking that was the best it would ever get.  All of a sudden we were upping on the computer, 'talking' to people from all over and having at it.

I don't know that I ever thought about the graphics as I was so amazed at what the game offered to us wannabe cartoon pilots.  Obviously everything has continued to improve over the years in terms of the game in how it looks and 'feels' outside of the thing that was always most important.  When you looked out of your bird in AW it was another guy sitting somewhere else you were looking at.  That's still the same.  The rest is just icing on the cake :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »
For those of us who never imagined we could fly and fight against someone real in a cartoon airplane, AW looked fantastic.  It really shows how far we've come and how expectations have changed.   There were a lot more of us then who had grown up flying around model airplanes thinking that was the best it would ever get.  All of a sudden we were upping on the computer, 'talking' to people from all over and having at it.

I don't know that I ever thought about the graphics as I was so amazed at what the game offered to us wannabe cartoon pilots.  Obviously everything has continued to improve over the years in terms of the game in how it looks and 'feels' outside of the thing that was always most important.  When you looked out of your bird in AW it was another guy sitting somewhere else you were looking at.  That's still the same.  The rest is just icing on the cake :)

This :aok

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »
Very well stated, Guppy  :aok :aok

Fwiw, I'd be happier if AH followed AW in 86'ing the head on attack.  Also, the AW Mission Planner, I prefer.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »
Very well stated, Guppy  :aok :aok

Fwiw, I'd be happier if AH followed AW in 86'ing the head on attack.  Also, the AW Mission Planner, I prefer.

I prefer the AW strat system, would be nice to see it in AH.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »

Bullseye.

The original Air Warrior was something I could have only dreamed of as a kid. Even when I was actually flying it the first few times I couldn't believe it was real. Heck this was even when all the aircraft were gray with no markings. I was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.  :lol

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
AW let us indulge the Walter Mitty in us all.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »
I think someone told me each gun in a bomber could be manned in Air warrior instead of how it is now in Aces High where only one other person can be a gunner. It would be cool to have every gun manned in the Bombers.

Yes every gun could be manned and also a navigator position in buffs.  All could jump between guns also.  It was great and hence.... DEATHSTARS!  Buffs would go on sweeps to kill buffs and fighters.  It was GREAT!  Man I sure miss those days!

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
AW was the first Online game I'd played that wasn't a MUD on a BBS (we'll know just how old some of y'all are between the "WTF is a MUD?" and "Oh wow, I remember those!" posts sure to follow). I have fond memories of fighting over the Atoll on WWII Pac.  :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 03:43:20 AM »
Although it was possible to fill every gun position, most times we'd be lucky to get one or two gunners, especially as they had to join while the bomber was still on the ground.  A message would go out that "[CPID] is crewing a B17 at field [field name]"and we'd usually wait a few minutes to see if anyone turned up. I think the broadcast was automatic but could be turned off or repeated.

I often went as a gunner, most memorably for my squad CO, Spiff.  He would get into turn fights with me in the chin gun.  I learnt a lot about gunning from Spiff and we had many fun flights together.

After I became a Game Assistant, (AWARHelen, again taught by Spiff!) I had to go into all of the arenas, including the RR arenas which I'd always avoided until then.  I then started going in them sometimes just for a change and found that fully gunned B17s were much more the norm there - as long as everyone's connection held out.  They would take them to an enemy field and often spend time vulching the spawn point, or go inside the hangars and destroy them with the guns from the inside!  Not exactly historical but a lot of fun.   :old:   :devil

Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun