Author Topic: Got Silk?  (Read 79624 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Got Silk?
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
Yes indeed, Kyujutsu was the original art of the samurai. All started as a class and status thing.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »
Swords, axes, and bows, oh my.

It's like a Game of Thrones episode, without the sex scenes, although Mechanic's shirtless pic is worthy of getting the 16 to 21 year old GoT girl fans excited, like their hero Gendry.  Hahaha, I'm linking this thread to the westors.org's website, prepare for some fans you two.

edit - Batfink, can you post source on Kyujustsu predating Kenjutsu schools, I googled it and couldn't find anything.  I've read a lot about Japanese sword arts, becoming interested in it after training in Kendo for a few years, and iaido, but I've never gone looking for anything about Japanese bow arts as they relate to the timing of the Japanese sword culture.  Very interesting.  I've read much about Yabusame, and its roots go back to the 4th century, but that is specific to mounted Japanese archery.  There were periods of both revival and decline of the bow in Japanese military culture, but the sword retained its importance right through to today.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:04:28 PM by Gman »

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »

does your body good :old:

:cheers:

bow would win.... :aok

you know the Samurai main weapon was not the Katana like most think...but was the Bow. :aok

dam and after all these years I thought it Was ink in skin and Beer with some blades on the side  :devil
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »
Yes indeed, Kyujutsu was the original art of the samurai. All started as a class and status thing.

ahh but Samaria means to serve...or servant.... :headscratch:

big respect for them...the dedication they showed was nothing short of amazing :O

dam and after all these years I thought it Was ink in skin and Beer with some blades on the side  :devil

I quit drinking 18 years ago....."instant ahole just add alcohol"  I was bad...had to quit. :cheers:

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »
i know bro lol ya must be bored since your responding so fast wish I could quit but i like it to much
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »
i know bro lol ya must be bored since your responding so fast wish I could quit but i like it to much
Or climbing for alt like the rest of us.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:03 PM »
i know bro lol ya must be bored since your responding so fast

ya...workin on comp... :D..........modeling a Piranha

been all day except to fly for a bit.....the wife is awesome... :O

I am a blessed man :pray

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
ahh but Samaria means to serve...or servant.... :headscratch:

big respect for them...the dedication they showed was nothing short of amazing :O

Absolutely, but the honour was in being raised above the peasant class to the class of warrior. The mastery of bow and horse were a symbol of that distinction even more so than a weapon of war.

Gman, let me see if I can find anything, although I am not entirely sure I am correct. Although to my knowledge it was not so much a matter of predating more so a matter of showing mastery of a difficult art form.

Swords, axes, and bows, oh my.

It's like a Game of Thrones episode, without the sex scenes, although Mechanic's shirtless pic is worthy of getting the 16 to 21 year old GoT girl fans excited, like their hero Gendry.  Hahaha, I'm linking this thread to the westors.org's website, prepare for some fans you two.

edit - Batfink, can you post source on Kyujustsu predating Kenjutsu schools, I googled it and couldn't find anything.  I've read a lot about Japanese sword arts, becoming interested in it after training in Kendo for a few years, and iaido, but I've never gone looking for anything about Japanese bow arts as they relate to the timing of the Japanese sword culture.  Very interesting.  I've read much about Yabusame, and its roots go back to the 4th century, but that is specific to mounted Japanese archery.  There were periods of both revival and decline of the bow in Japanese military culture, but the sword retained its importance right through to today.

Hahaha, they wouldnt get excited if they could smell me.

I have found a small extract from a book I read sometime ago. Bear with me as I will have to type it out now:

Book: Samurai The Last Warrior  Author: John Man    Published: Bantam Books      

'When you hear the word 'samurai', you probably think 'swords'. But samurai swords - the proper curved ones, not the heavy-duty, straight iron type that was imported from China - came later, because it took a while to create a tradition of sword making. The first heyday of the samurai was the age of the bow, so the first samurai were mounted bowmen, not swordsmen. '

The book goes on to explain the asymetrical design of the yumi and also to make it clear that what we now know as Kyudo is nothing to do with the archery of the samurai. As to Kyujutsu schools being the first, I cannot find any evidence. All I can find is that Kyujutsu was in practice as early as the 1180's where as the oldest Kenjutsu schools still in existence today date from around the 1330's, although that does not provide any answer as to which was first thus named and practiced by samurai.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:34:41 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 11:26:26 PM »
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
Absolutely, but the honour was in being raised above the peasant class to the class of warrior. The mastery of bow and horse were a symbol of that distinction even more so than a weapon of war.

Gman, let me see if I can find anything, although I am not entirely sure I am correct. Although to my knowledge it was not so much a matter of predating more so a matter of showing mastery of a difficult art form.

Hahaha, they wouldnt get excited if they could smell me.

I have found a small extract from a book I read sometime ago. Bear with me as I will have to type it out now:

Book: Samurai The Last Warrior  Author: John Man    Published: Bantam Books      

'When you hear the word 'samurai', you probably think 'swords'. But samurai swords - the proper curved ones, not the heavy-duty, straight iron type that was imported from China - came later, because it took a while to create a tradition of sword making. The first heyday of the samurai was the age of the bow, so the first samurai were mounted bowmen, not swordsmen. '

The book goes on to explain the asymetrical design of the yumi and also to make it clear that what we now know as Kyudo is nothing to do with the archery of the samurai. As to Kyujutsu schools being the first, I cannot find any evidence. All I can find is that Kyujutsu was in practice as early as the 1180's where as the oldest Kenjutsu schools still in existence today date from around the 1330's, although that does not provide any answer as to which was first thus named and practiced by samurai.

what did you think of "The Last Samurai"?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:46 PM »
The film with Tom Cruise? I enjoyed watching it as a work of fiction very loosely tethered to fact.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2013, 11:59:12 PM »
does this look like a face of one who would deal with a chump?

No just a Chump

he wouldn't be the first to eat from a straw after running his mouth to me.

You would'nt  have no need for a straw... bud... I doubt you would get 2 words out :aok

I was breaking legs for a living while he was crying for his mommy :aok

Please I'm ten years your senior

:rofl
I love that pic with the axe resting on your little atrophed arms.  You trying to look all intimadating....

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
It's the easiest achievement we have. Not sure why this is such a big deal to some people.  :headscratch:
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.