Author Topic: Colorado Wildfires  (Read 278 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Colorado Wildfires
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
Currently sitting in a Black Forest fire "pre-evacuation" zone, and hoping the wind doesn't shift back around in our direction. The fire remains zero-percent contained, and 360+ homes have thus far been confirmed destroyed.  Please pray for my neighbors who've lost homes, and for the safety of the amazing emergency response personnel who are battling the fire here and elsewhere around Colorado.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
Re: Colorado Wildfires
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »
 :O man more fires! that's crazy, my folks live in Fountain so I get updates all the time.  Stay safe out there :salute

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
wow, i went to grade school in security/widefield...i hope they get that fire under control.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
 :pray

This fire didn't perhaps start in a pot field did it?      :noid
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »
Currently sitting in a Black Forest fire "pre-evacuation" zone, and hoping the wind doesn't shift back around in our direction. The fire remains zero-percent contained, and 360+ homes have thus far been confirmed destroyed.  Please pray for my neighbors who've lost homes, and for the safety of the amazing emergency response personnel who are battling the fire here and elsewhere around Colorado.

:pray

I hope you and yours are safe :pray

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
Good luck with it Sabre.  I hope you and yours are safe and do not lose anything.  Too many friends have lost so much out there.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
I just rented a cabin to go fishing up there. Hope it's still there in 2 weeks. :uhoh
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:31 PM »
Wednesday we paved on Colonial Park Dr. just northwest of the fire. As I headed back to the plant for my last load the fire was 100 yards away from hwy83. Today we paved near Voyager Parkway directly west of hwy 83. They started an evac for that area before we finished the last pull. Dang fire is making it hard to get any work done. :(
I have some snapshots of the fire getting close to 83. There were tons of people on the side of the road watching a fire that was moving toward them at about 1 yard every 2 seconds.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Thanks, guys. Yeah, the latest expansion of the mandatory evacuation zone is getting uncomfortably close. The winds this morning are supposed to be a bit more favorable to expanding containment (at 5% late yesterday).  We're ready to go, though, just in case. During the Waldo Canyon fire last year, we learned just how fast a fire can turn and surprise everyone. I had friends who lost houses in that one. :pray
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »
We live among the tall timber in the PNW, fire is universally feared..
We are in the dry part of the 7yr cycle, so summer started a bit early..
Gonna be hot and dry until the autumn monsoons begin..

God Speed..

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
It looks like a lot of houses went down because nobody was there to stop a single small ember from catching thier roof on fire.

If you draw from a well, I would think a generator to run the well pump and a couple of sprinklers on the roof might go a long toward prevention.

It only takes a small amount of water to instantly put out embers that land on the roof.

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Icepac the fire was running through the dead pine needles on the ground. Most of the tree tops are still untouched by flame. What some of these people failed to do was keep those dry dead needles away from their house. Those houses were right in among the trees with little or no defense to keep the fire from running right up to the foundation.