Author Topic: Why do we spend so much time talking about German aircraft?  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Why do we spend so much time talking about German aircraft?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2001, 09:47:00 PM »
I myself spend time talking about German aircraft.  I don't mind talking about them as they are interesting, but so are British, Japanese, Russian, American and Italian aircraft.

I fly every kind of aircraft in AH.  Obviously there are some aircraft I like more, but there is not a single aircraft in AH that I haven't done a sortie or more in.

I'm just wondering why there is so much more emotion surrounding German aircraft and the state of the German planeset and what the German planeset needs to be able to do it all on its own?

BTW, the answer is: the bomber version of the Me410 for ground strikes and a Ju52 to carry troops. Everything else would fall in the "nice to have, but not required" category.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2001, 07:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin:
WEll, the authority has now spoken.  We all know why people talk about the German planes so much.  Thanks a Bunch SWulfe!  I always thought it was because I just liked them...

Yup, you are a dumb ass.

EDIT: You think my statement was a complete fairy tale? Check these out from iEN's board: http://lists.ient.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/001023.html  http://lists.ient.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/001019.html
-SW

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
For the same reason Giants fans are still talking about Superbowl XXXV?

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
it's quite simple really...  Nazi's and limey"s is the Euro version of cowboys and indians.   Many misfits and emotional cripples identify with the most evil force they can hoping that it will add some menace to their drab and weak personalities.   Others, simply crave the attention that being the "bad guy" will bring.  Yet others have read a few of the "I flew for the furer" romance novels and are convinced that the avowed technical superiority of the nazis will give em and edge in a game.   All become dissapointed and vocal when the obvious happens.

Personally I believe that if a P47 looks like a "jug" then a 190 looks like a perfume bottle with it's delicate little fuselage and nipped in area in front of the tail.   The 109 just looks..... outdated.   (even after they took off the wire braces for the stabs).  the glass looks like the greenhouse my first wife cobbled up with grape stakes and visqueen.    Most LW planes are kinda funny looking to me.  All painted up to look (LOL) menacing.
lazs

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2001, 09:38:00 AM »
ROFLMAO Toad... hehe

so let me get this right Laz...
painting a shark mouth on the plane is NOT trying to make the plane look more aggressive ??    lol

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Wlfgng ]

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
Well, since Swulfe and Lazs have thrown in their little 2 cent psychological evaluations of everyone who flies German planes in Aces High, I guess I'll throw in mine.

My theory is this - NOT EVERYBODY CAN FLY A whoopee NIKI,SPIT,OR LA7.  A few of us like to fly OTHER planes, even though they aren't the "best".  At least, thats how I decided to "pick" a favorite plane.  Believe it or not, I decided from the very beginning that if I was ever going to be known as a "good stick"- I was going to do it in an uncommon aircraft.  I started flying the 109G10- and I think I'm a better pilot because I didn't go with the herd and fly a Niki, Spit, or La7.  Now, I've only been playing for 4 months now, so I'm nowhere near as good as some of the "vets" as it were- but I'll get there someday.

And perhaps when someone sees a 109 or 190 in the arena they'll say.  "Hum- wonder if thats Urchin?" (kinda like folks do with P38s and Cit).  Whereas when folks see a Niki, Spit, or La7- thats what they see.  I know I'm not thinking "Oh God, wonder if that's Nash in that Niki down there".  I'm thinking- "Hum, Do I really want to engage 5 Nikis?"

Anyway, there is my two-bit psychological treatise on the "Luftwhiner" pilots in MA.  Feel free to disagree.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by SWulfe:

Yup, I am a dumb ass.

EDIT: You think my statement was a complete fairy tale? Check these out from iEN's board: http://lists.ient.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/001023.html  http://lists.ient.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/001019.html
-SW

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Weeelllll, I've never played Warbirds.  If the 190's are doing the stuff they are talking about in the thread, I'd say they have a legitimate complaint.  What should they be doing?  Saying "Gee, this 190 really sucks.  Guess the 190 really sucked in real life to, because the Germans lost the war- so all of their planes, tanks, etc. must have been vastly inferior to the Russian and American equipment since those two countries won the war".  If you think like that SWulfe, I pity you.  You seem to have a problem with people raising issues about anything in ANY game.  Should those people that WANT to fly a 190 but think that there are problems with it just say "Awww, diddly it" and jump in a Niki, Spit, or LA7 (or whatever the equivalent of that in that game is)?

You and Lazs BOTH seem to think that unless you think Allied planes are the coolest think to hit the planet since sliced bread, you are some sort of jack-boot wearing Nazi.  I almost hate to tell you it simply isn't true.  Oh sure, there might be one or two people (in AH anyway) that fly the German planes to act out some sort of desire to "be evil"- but the VAST majority of folks that fly them for the same reason you do- because we LIKE to fly them.  I personally like flying them because using an "offbrand" plane as it were forces me to try to use my planes strengths against my opponent's planes strengths, and I've always found dissimilar air combat more interesting than similar air combat.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
And perhaps when someone sees a 109 or 190 in the arena they'll say. "Hum- wonder if thats Urchin?"

Thats what I always say...

Damn it, are you that Jamacian mind reader that is spamming me!

"It's my obligation"

I knew it.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2001, 10:24:00 AM »
Awww too bad your light's on but no one's home Urchin.

DING! I was ranked #5 on the top 100 for the past several tours in the 190A5, and ranked #5 on the 109G2 list, I also ranked on the 109F4 list.

So basically, what you say about Allied planes? I fly them all, I just don't pick a single plane or airforce's planes to ensure that they and only they are correct.
-SW

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
Aww- to bad you'll notice that I said "many of us like to fly German aircraft for the SAME REASON YOU DO".  I KNOW you fly the 190A5- which I actually think is sorta ironic, considering you go out of your way to paint others who fly German planes as Nazis.

And no, I've never seen you campaigning FOR any single country, I've seen you campaign AGAINST one though, many times over, in the 4 short months I've been here.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
I've never campaigned against any one country. Yes, I *AM* against people that say, "somethings broke but I can't figure it out what!"

I've never labelled anyone a nazi, or a jack-boot. Perhaps you just like to lump everyone together that is very vocal against the "LW".

I've labelled a select few of the "LW" recreationists as LuftWhiners, LimpWristed or LeatherWearing. If you somehow assume that any of those 3 descriptions are "nazi" labels, I'd really like to know how you came to that scientific conclusion.

4 months eh? Been here since Beta tour2.

You experience close to two years of the same record from the same people month after month and we'll see how much YOU enjoy that particular clique.

I was against the 190D-9's guns being broken. Why? My experiences proved otherwise.
I was against, well anything being changed that didn't have proof or facts to prove otherwise.

I was FOR the 190's roll rate being fixed, but it appears as though you choose to read selectively and assume that because I'm against 9 out of 10 of the changes they wanted I must be completely against that country.

No, but if you are going to whine (no proof, just "Waaaaaa it's broke") over and over and over... man you are just going to piss me off.
-SW

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2001, 02:06:00 PM »
"so let me get this right Laz...
painting a shark mouth on the plane is NOT trying to make the plane look more aggressive ?? lol
"
Well.... the sharks teeth were a Brit inovation and the "tiger teeth" were first suggested by a chinese fellow and ended up being a copy of the brit design.

urchin.... nope.   your wrong.   people fly the nazi planes ONLY for the reasons I have stated.   My guess is that most of em are also gay  (not that there's anything wrong with that).  
lazs