Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 30381 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #360 on: November 01, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
I'm not in that, or any other discussion here, except the "FM in game A sucks because it is different from the FM in game B" argument, which is silly.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #361 on: November 01, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
Nm...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:36:48 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #362 on: November 01, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
I know it's Friday so I have to ask: Are you even aware of what you are writhing?
I thought the same for Arlo's pics
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
I'm not in that, or any other discussion here, except the "FM in game A sucks because it is different from the FM in game B" argument, which is silly.

If both games are developed at the same time, with similar development strategies, you're right.  If Game B has a reputation for slow and deliberate development and focuses heavily on FM fidelity, you can afford to give the benefit of the doubt to Game B when FM's between the two games are in conflict, right?
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »
If both games are developed at the same time, with similar development strategies, you're right.  If Game B has a reputation for slow and deliberate development and focuses heavily on FM fidelity, you can afford to give the benefit of the doubt to Game B when FM's between the two games are in conflict, right?

Interesting point. Think of Jane's WWII Fighters and European Air War, both released in 1998:

Janes was certainly prettier. But for some reason, they decided to take more of an instant-action/arcade approach to the game.

By contrast, EAW was FAR more of a sim. It was certainly not as pretty, but a lot more attention was paid to flight and even campaign modeling (EAW's dynamic campaign was a blast).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #365 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »
To my knowledge WT is based on Il-2 technology bought from C1. Il-2 is a game franchise that is 12 years old now.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #366 on: November 01, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
Also the original Il-2 was closer to a study sim than AH, with complex engine management, complex damage modeling (even minor damage affected the aerodynamics of the plane), and atmospheric modeling (weather effects, turbulence, slip streams from other planes).

I'm not saying it was better... I'm saying it was different.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #367 on: November 01, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »
I haven't read that the folks at Gaijin bought the FM's from Il-2, so as far as that goes, I don't think they can claim development heritage.  From what I've seen, the FM's in WT were developed by regular gaming folk who volunteered and had some sort of credentials to show they could handle FM development.  I can't say that it's wrong, but I also can't give that kind of approach my benefit of the doubt. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #368 on: November 01, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
In any case, my point is that claiming something in a game is wrong because another game is different is silly in my honest opinion. That's all.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #369 on: November 01, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
I thought the same for Arlo's pics

As in, they're inaccurate? You really do know more about the game than the people who designed it and support it?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #370 on: November 01, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »
As in, they're inaccurate? You really do know more about the game than the people who designed it and support it?

Pretty much inaccurate, just as saying that AH has a view range of 17 miles for unlimited objects.
17miles is a half truth, in that the only thing at 17miles is the set pieces (Airbases and Towns), not ground objects (trees and barns, 4miles) and contacts (5.6miles).
In that respect it could be said the average view distance is what, 9 miles.

AH is the best FM, WT the best graphics, put the 2 together and you get the perfect game.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #371 on: November 01, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »
AH is the best FM, WT the best graphics, put the 2 together and you get the perfect game.

Overly simplistic statement. Kinda like "If apples and oranges grew on the same tree, what a grove we'd have."

(Skuzzy has afforded you a lot of grace. I wouldn't try to test that.)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #372 on: November 01, 2013, 07:07:33 PM »

that could be true, but put together a computer that can play that game and I doubt if you want to spend that kind of money.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »
that could be true, but put together a computer that can play that game and I doubt if you want to spend that kind of money.

semp

Lets see the cost of AH to me...

5 years...
lets say that's £120 a year, £10 a month. £600

Sticks...
X3Dpro x2 £20 = £40
CH set up £360

Computer upgrades...
£600 and £900

Programs...
Bandicam and Sony Movie Maker. £50

There seems to a lot of money afforded by me to the playing of this game; I did say it was my passion.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »
AH is my main hobby.

I am thankful that this universe has AH in it!  :aok