Author Topic: OMG, look at the front page  (Read 13388 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: OMG, look at the front page
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
that is incredible brown nosing
That is incredibly obvious LOL
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
That is incredibly obvious LOL

That's incredibly jealous that neither of you posted it first :D
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
That is incredibly incorrect.

How so?

Intel 3500/4000 is designed as low voltage power use chip, which is why actual laptop marketed for gaming have Intel chip to save battery when using desktop in 2D and switch to a dedicated GPU for 3D gaming, since the Nvidia or AMD GPU's consume a lot more power either in 2D or 3D on a laptop you need the dual graphics chips to conserve battery..

Even the sub $800 laptop I had use of last year, was a dual graphics machine. However the Intel 4000 couldn't even run Civ 5 at minimum settings output to a external monitor let alone 3D games. Which is why it also had a built in Nvidia 6xx series GPU. The 6xx series GPU could run AH2 at average settings but not when displayed to external monitor would always have stutters at 60fps and whether AH2 was at absolute min setting or high, but AH2 is more CPU dependent anyway, which I think from memory it had a quad core 2.2 ghz cpu and 8gb ram..

Sure you might be able to play BF3 on a Intel 4000 but that will be BF3 at lowest possible graphic settings and low res. Try and output to a bigger monitor and higher resolution and it will turn into a slideshow.

Anyone who is interested in gaming on a laptop beyond Mario brothers and pre 2005 games isn't going to put up with a Intel 3500/4000 chip for long. I couldn't even tolerate the internal 6 series GPU, Laptop always became too hot no matter what the cooling pad after extensive time. Went back to a desktop and even a 5 series GPU was significantly better output to a 24" display.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
my guess is most these guys are old enough to not care about the graphics, they just want the game to run.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
No idea, ask in the 3DGuru, Nvidia or AMD forums..

But whether it's a laptop or desktop PC, I doubt very few who play games beyond Solitaire and Minecraft on a regular basis, would use a Intel 3500/4000 graphics chip. 

<S>...-Gixer

I have a GMA X3100 intel chip  :rofl

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
Gixer,

I suspect your view of things is biased based on what you and those you interact with in reality use.  All of my friends have gaming PCs, but I know we're in the minority.  Many, many PC game players get by on embedded chips because they aren't technically savvy (we've had players here who are active on the forums post in frustration on the hardware forum after their brand new PC they thought was going to hold 60fps at max detail couldn't even do max detail at all because they had bought a good CPU business PC) or can't afford to buy a gaming PC (generally more expensive than a business PC) or aren't into games enough to justify it or some other reason.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
Karnak,

Sorry I don't get your point in relation to the original statistic Skuzzy posted % use of graphics chips. I don't think your small group of friends and own PC use experience in any way reflects the entire global gaming PC market, even though you try and state otherwise.. Nvidia/AMD cater for low,mid and high end graphics cards, they always have. If someone wants to play games on a PC but can't even afford a low level gaming card then maybe they should look at a PS2 or something.

Also why I suggested asking on 3DGuru,AMD or Nvidia forums, run a poll see what the average age (series) of graphics card is in use today since the AH2 community is certainly not a measure given it's such a very small and niche community.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
Karnak,

I don't think your small group of friends and own PC use experience in any way reflects the entire global gaming PC market, even though you try and state otherwise.
What?!?  I said the exact opposite.  My friends and I all use purpose built gaming computers.  Even my 7.5 year old system was a purpose built gaming computer.  I spent over $700 on just the CPU.  The fact that I haven't been able to afford to replace it doesn't change the fact that it was a gaming PC.

You're the one claiming that gamers all use gaming PCs just like you (and I am guessing your friends) do, not me.

I am claiming people playing games have a much wider range of hardware they use than you are crediting.  Specifically the low range is a lot larger of a percentage of them than you are willing to accept.

Also why I suggested asking on 3DGuru,AMD or Nvidia forums, run a poll see what the average age (series) of graphics card is in use today since the AH2 community is certainly not a measure given it's such a very small and niche community.
Asking a self selected group of PC gaming enthusiasts what they use is completely wrong to determine what people use.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Tiger 2 gun has one of the flattest trajectories in the game the only thing you can't knock out with it is another tiger2 atleast from the front anyways

That may be, but I was referring to the Tiger 1, I really can't speak for the TII. I'm sure you are probably correct on it, it just seemed to me at the time that they felt the same. Idk when the last time I uppd a TII, I think a few weeks ago when there were tanks on the base, but before that it had been considerable time.

I'll have to look into the Tiger I gun vs. the Panther more, and see if my memory of the arc shot is incorrect, however being able to kill anything with the cannon mounted to it really isn't relevant. For me it's the feel of the optic I'm accustomed to with the Panther, and in the Tiger I felt my aim was poorer/less accurate.
\

:salute

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
Tiger 2 gun has one of the flattest trajectories in the game the only thing you can't knock out with it is another tiger2 atleast from the front anyways

You haven't ran into dr7, have ya? :lol  He's knocked out my KT with his KT, with both of us having our nose to each other.  He found the sweet spot before I did. :bhead
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »

It would be better to use the data from the poll Steam conducts every year to see what systems and hardware people are running. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2013, 01:33:56 AM »
And yet Intel's graphic card market share increased this year (63.4%), while AMD (19.7%) and NVidia (16.9%) both lost market share, in the desktop market.

Thanks to AKAK's recommendation we can look at actual GPU usage on monthly basis stats taken from Steam users. Which is probably as good a snapshot of PC gamers anywhere available on the net.

PC Video Card Usage By Manufacture

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

NVIDIA 52.2%
ATI 33.72%
INTEL 13.72%

As expected Intel is lowest by long margin and very small market share in gaming compared to Nvidia and ATI

OVERALL DISTRIBUTION OF CARDS

DirectX 11 GPU 58.33%
DirectX 10 GPU 35.87%
Direct X 9 Shader Model 2b and 3.0 GPUs  2.51%
Direct x9 Shader MOdel 2.0 GPU  1.49%
Direct x9 GPU and below  1.80%

Direct x8 (2000 - 2002)
Direct x9 (2002 - 2006)
DIrect x10 (2006 - 2009)
Direct x11 (2009 - current)

Majority of gamers have DX11 GPUs at 58%  Majority age of GPUs in Gamers PC's is less than 4 years old and more likely to be less than 3 years old.

That is incredibly incorrect.

No it looks like your reference of overall graphics card usage is incredibly incorrect when looking at actual GPU's used by gamers. And since this is a game forum, probably more relevant than including large portion of graphic chips in laptops which are used for business and not gaming.

What?!?  I said the exact opposite.  My friends and I all use purpose built gaming computers.  Even my 7.5 year old system was a purpose built gaming computer.  I spent over $700 on just the CPU.  The fact that I haven't been able to afford to replace it doesn't change the fact that it was a gaming PC.

You're the one claiming that gamers all use gaming PCs just like you (and I am guessing your friends) do, not me.

The statistics above show that average gaming PC is much higher spec (don't have time to go over other components only looked at GPUs) then you are trying to propose and equal to my expectation that average gaming PC is going to be 2-3 years old.

Since to keep up with current crop of games every couple years and to run them at high resolution and high detail you need to keep upgrading every 2-3 years, maybe every 4 if you don't mind turning down the graphics further.

Fact that you have a system which is almost 8 years old and that it cost $700 just for CPU is irrelevant, in it's day it was a gaming PC but that time has long gone and in computer terms it's prehistoric today.

Keep in mind my cell phone today has a quad core 1.6Ghz CPU and 2Gb Ram. Next years phones (if not already) will probably be 2.0ghz and 4Gb Ram.

I think in past posts, you've stated you installed a new high end  DX11 graphics card, if that’s attached to a 7.5 year old system just going to create a big bottleneck.

Recently I built a sub $800 system for a friend and it can comfortable run F1 2012 at Ultra settings 60fps doesn't cost much today to build a medium level PC for current games and it will easily be able to play games at high-ultra settings for the next couple years.

But at the end of the day AH2 is still a pre 2005 game engine DX9 and with it's tiny niche player base who might have 8 year old  + computers still gives them something to play if they turn down the graphics.

Would be interesting to know AH players average gaming computer spec. I would bet that it's considerably higher and more in line with the Steam statistics, since most players probably play other games and not just AH.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #208 on: July 02, 2013, 01:49:08 AM »
but what's it's climbrate?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2013, 06:20:44 AM »
Steam is not a reflection of our client base.  Not even close.  The real statistics come much closer to our reality.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com