Author Topic: Ideas to encourage flying as units  (Read 1038 times)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: Ideas to encourage flying as units
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
Today 95% of the players in MA fly on their own.

It is far from the way the combat missions were flown.

I think it would be very good if flight of units of 2/4/8 and so would be encouraged.

1. Provide good bonuses to fly in such units:

1.(a) Reduce a cost of perked planes for such units - pair - 10% reduction, 4 - 15% reduction, 8 - 20% reduction.
1.(b) Even if the wingman hadn't done a kill it should receive a bonus. For example for unit of two, the wingman that had lower score would receive 50% of the difference between them. For example, a pair returned where normally pilot A received 5 perk points and pilot B 1 perk point. The A would get his perks as them and B would get 3 perks - (5-1)*0.5 + 1 = 3
1.(c) Send a message for entire unit when the last surviving pilot lands, i.e. "Alpha and Bravo landed with total 5 kills (4 - Alpha,1 - Bravo)"

2. Make sure that the group operates a unit.

2. (a) if wingman has a distance with more than 12K (horizontally) it is not considered a wingman for the calculations (and they would receive a message - lost wingman/leader (and if it was a perk plane the wingmand would loose the bonus points it was given for perk plane).
2. (b) leader can let the wingman leave (disengage) - for example in case of emergency, but from this point the new damage done by the wingman would not be counted.
2. (c) for a group of 4 the separation between two pairs would be allowed bigger and the leader of 4 can release the second pair in the same way as wingman.
2. (d) for a big groups 4/8 the leader can split them and direct to some locations, lets say he can allow they to fly in square 4/5 would not be considered separation and allow the second leader of 4 or pair to request to be in some area so the separation would be allowed.

I think this would make a game-play much more interesting and mission oriented also new ranks can be added like
rank as leader of 2/4/8

Also the wingmans and leaders would be able to rank manually their commanders and wingmans - give them scores. Also the overall rank of leaders can be given such that better leaders would attract more wingmans.

The skills of the formation leader are in general very different from the single player and it would add more diversity to the game.

When you tie the game up with too much gobble-de-gook, you'll find I'll play it even less than I do now. I like my "unit" the way it is (wtg 91st  ;) ).
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »
that would imply 1 "pilot" can not perform ACM...which is obviously not true.

No it would not imply that, nor was it intended to.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »
Air Combat Maneuvering "ACM" is an advanced form of formation flying that requires even more practice and commitment to do it well and effectively.  ACM is the coordinated use of BFM by multiple pair of fighters with the end effect being a force multiplier.   :salute
uh, care to show how air combat maneuvering is formation flying? air combat maneuvers and basic flight maneuvers can be accomplished in formation with a coordinated effort but one does not equate to the other.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
There was something recently introduced that encourages formation flying.  Two patches ago HTC introduced the ability in a .command to keep formation with a target you designate as a wingman (.wingman XXX)
That is a fantastic addition!!! It allows specifically bomber formations to stay in formation even when under attack. It is not perfect however (nor should it be) and one needs to keep this in mind.
The formation leader CAN NOT fly at 100% or near 100% throttle and expect the rest of the group to maintain formation with this command.  This also could aleviate the groups that think bomber groups should not fly at top speed ;)
Second If the formation leader does maintain a reasonable speed to maintain his group it is very important he doesnt make any maneuvers whilst the enemy is attacking.  Any movement he makes causes anyone attached to him to correct.  This can include accidental rudder inputs while gunning using a twisty stick.
Strangely I have heard almost nothing about this fantastic feature added, and most every bomber mission thus far (including strat raids) does not seem to take advantage, and even if they try it, the idiot flight leader insists on flying at something like 95% manifold and making course corrections with no regard to enemy activity.

In short HTC just added something to encourage flying as a unit...and it unbelievably does not appear to be used often.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »
uh, care to show how air combat maneuvering is formation flying? air combat maneuvers and basic flight maneuvers can be accomplished in formation with a coordinated effort but one does not equate to the other.
Uh, no.  You read something in my statement that isn't there nor intended.

From Wikipedia:  Formation flying is the disciplined flight of two or more aircraft under the command of a flight leader.  Military pilots use formations for mutual defense and concentration of firepower.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:24:49 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 01:19:36 AM »
that would imply 1 "pilot" can not perform ACM...which is obviously not true.

No, it does not imply that. A single can most certainly fly ACM against an opponent.  But, with a well practiced wingman, i.e., a pair, the employment force can be more effective against a single or a pair of opponents, especially if they aren't well versed and practiced in BFM and ACM. 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
No, it does not imply that. A single can most certainly fly ACM against an opponent.  But, with a well practiced wingman, i.e., a pair, the employment force can be more effective against a single or a pair of opponents, especially if they aren't well versed and practiced in BFM and ACM. 

I absolutely agree that "...a pair, the employment force can be more effective against a single or a pair of opponents, especially if they aren't well versed and practiced in BFM and ACM."<---your words

"...ACM is the coordinated use of BFM by multiple pair of fighters with the end effect being a force multiplier..."<----your words also

says two completely different things.....the second statement implies that ACM is done by a multiple of fighters.....

I think it is the way you wrote it...."ACM is the coordinated use of BFM by multiple pair of  fighters"  this is wrong.....

from wiki..... Air combat maneuvering (also spelled: air combat maneuvering, or ACM) is the art of maneuvering a combat aircraft in order to attain a position from which an attack can be made on another aircraft. It relies on offensive and defensive basic fighter maneuvering (BFM) in order to gain an advantage over an aerial opponent......<correct even though it comes from wiki...

your statement implies it is done by more then one aircraft.....

:salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 11:39:33 PM »
I absolutely agree that "...a pair, the employment force can be more effective against a single or a pair of opponents, especially if they aren't well versed and practiced in BFM and ACM."<---your words

"...ACM is the coordinated use of BFM by multiple pair of fighters with the end effect being a force multiplier..."<----your words also

says two completely different things.....the second statement implies that ACM is done by a multiple of fighters.....

I think it is the way you wrote it...."ACM is the coordinated use of BFM by multiple pair of  fighters"  this is wrong.....

from wiki..... Air combat maneuvering (also spelled: air combat maneuvering, or ACM) is the art of maneuvering a combat aircraft in order to attain a position from which an attack can be made on another aircraft. It relies on offensive and defensive basic fighter maneuvering (BFM) in order to gain an advantage over an aerial opponent......<correct even though it comes from wiki...

your statement implies it is done by more then one aircraft.....

:salute
Well, it seems semantics are now the issue.  My statement implies that multiple pairs of fighters  are more effective than a lone wolf doing his best BFM/ACM. 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »
Well, it seems semantics are now the issue.  My statement implies that multiple pairs of fighters  are more effective than a lone wolf doing his best BFM/ACM. 

:rofl

is it that hard to say...ya I wrote it wrong :rolleyes:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 04:06:05 AM »
Yes. HTC should encourage things like squadrons, giving them things like squad channels and AHWiki pages and ......

Oh.

:D :salute :cheers:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Ink, are you familiar with the "energy egg"? 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
Ink, are you familiar with the "energy egg"? 

not off hand, no.....cant say I ever heard that term.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »
Probably a pre-menopause reference.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
 :rofl

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
 How about application of lift vector in BFM?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:10:48 PM by Puma44 »