Author Topic: A & N  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: A & N
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
Nice.  You sound like the guy that taught me to fly.  Very different from a "school" setting. 

I've been teaching people to fly for a very long time now.  I limit myself to training primary students.  I also Loved teaching people how to fly.  My days of building time are long since over.  I can honestly say I was never a time builder.  I've towed banners, towed gliders. Before, during and after my airline days. Type rating on a 727, 4 sucky years with the wings of man (Eastern) before being furloughed during that oil embargo early 70's.  My route consisted of Newark to Washington, Washington to Newark, Newark to Boston, Boston to Newark,    Sometimes Newark to Miami,   Miami to Newark.  My wife wanted to continue to eat, pay rent and have some kind of a life so after the year and a half furlough, when Eastern crew scheduling called to get me back on a training schedule, I opted not to return.   I had been taking computer courses and had landed a pretty good job with a consulting firm.   Because of my aviation background I worked with a few corporate aviation departments.  computerizing their record keeping and reviewing their training records and cockpit procedures.  It was better than an Airline job , I was home every night.    I was still getting paid to fly  and I was able to continue teaching at several levels.   

But my real pleasure was teaching primary students.  I flew for years out of a grass airport , 2000 ft with a 1400 ft. cross runway. Colts Neck, NJ, it's no longer there.  Golf Course and homes now.  My Dad was my primary instructor, He flew P47's and later P51's  for the US Army 1941 - 1945.  He taught me to fly in a 1946 J3 Cub that he and his wingman bought surplus after the war.   Dad didn't have a instructor's rating so when I turned 17, in 1965 he paid a CFI to fly with me and sign me off for Solo flight in our Cub.  I flew with that instructor and later got my Commercial and  went to one of those  Instrument in a week schools in Daytona.  After Vietnam,  my Dad hooked me up with another WWII buddy of his and got me an interview with Eastern.  My Dad also hooked me up with a guy that had an interest in a War Bird collection and needed pilots to ferry the aircraft to airshows on the East Coast.   I have over a 1000 hours in T6, P40, F4U and B25.

I've flown for Grass roots air operations, Part 141 operations and Corporate air carriers Part 121 and 135.   I still hear my Dad telling me to "don't just sit there, fly the plane, don't just look out the window, you need to really see it, fly the plane,  now look at the map, Heading, Airspeed, Altitude, do you see it, the river, the bridge across the river, fly the plane, the town next to the bridge, see it on the map, see it out the window and fly the plane, find the road and take me to the next town".
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Those of you that know me know what I teach in primarily. It is a Cirrus - I travel all over the country and generally I enjoy it. But mostly if I am Brought in, it is to fix problems.

That said - the guys that I do get as primary candidates they don't get any automation: They have to earn it. 

Cross countries: they don't get navigation aids they have a map compass and a stopwatch. Figuring out where you are at altitude -  no such thing. The highest you can go is 700 feet. It's a little bit more satisfying when you actually reach a location to know that you did it with nothing but your wits to rely on.

That said the current generation of automation dependent pilots being churned out turns my stomach. Like a lot of you everyone I've learned from is long since dead - but that doesn't mean we still don't carry-on the traditions.

And just you know there are a few guys from aces high who you could stick behind the cockpit after having not flown Aircraft in 2 years and can still nail a power off landing to a short field a plane glides like a lawn dart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhBYftB_zt8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 12:07:47 AM »

That said the current generation of automation dependent pilots being churned out turns my stomach. Like a lot of you everyone I've learned from is long since dead - but that doesn't mean we still don't carry-on the traditions.

Is this a video of one of your lessons?  I hope not, wondering why the instructor couldn’t teach without using all the expletives ?  It may be just me, but it sounds unprofessional. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 01:00:50 AM »
I flew loran the last day it was up.

Turned it on the next day it really was down..........at least in Georgia.

My brother in law was tasked with decomissioning all the omega stations worldwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNi75OWgzkw

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 03:48:45 AM »
I flew loran the last day it was up.

My 182 had a King marine LORAN in it when I bought it.  The "Anchor Watch" feature was particularly handy.  :)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 02:34:35 AM »
Those of you that know me know what I teach in primarily. It is a Cirrus - I travel all over the country and generally I enjoy it. But mostly if I am Brought in, it is to fix problems.

That said - the guys that I do get as primary candidates they don't get any automation: They have to earn it. 

Cross countries: they don't get navigation aids they have a map compass and a stopwatch. Figuring out where you are at altitude -  no such thing. The highest you can go is 700 feet. It's a little bit more satisfying when you actually reach a location to know that you did it with nothing but your wits to rely on.

And just you know there are a few guys from aces high who you could stick behind the cockpit after having not flown Aircraft in 2 years and can still nail a power off landing to a short field a plane glides like a lawn dart.

I did a good amount of training with him (for private & instrument), certainly one of the best instructors I've flown with. 
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s