Author Topic: The Lone Ranger  (Read 4362 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
The Lone Ranger
« on: July 04, 2013, 02:59:50 AM »
Just went to watch The Lone Ranger. Johnny Depp killed as Tonto. That's about all I have to say good about the film other than the homage to The Wild Bunch at the beginning. It went rapidly downhill from there. The only thing they got right were the names. They completely butchered the story. It went from absurd to cartoonish to just plain bad. No spoilers here, but the Transcontinental railway didn't connect in Texas, there are no mountains in Texas and Monument Valley is in Arizona. Too bad because this could have been a really great film with a halfway decent script. Instead, I left wanting my $12.50 and 2 1/2 hours back. :mad:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:17:47 AM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Lone Ranger
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:25:38 AM »
I didn't hear any complaints about the accuracy of U-571 from you?   :devil

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:58:09 AM »
I didn't hear any complaints about the accuracy of U-571 from you?   :devil
Rabbit was small enough to reach those aft torpedo air pipes. What's your point? :neener:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:32:24 AM »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
You might want to look at the date of that map and/or learn Texas history. That is Texas in 1830. This is Texas in 1869 (timeframe of TLR):
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
Just went to watch The Lone Ranger. Johnny Depp killed as Tonto. That's about all I have to say good about the film other than the homage to The Wild Bunch at the beginning. It went rapidly downhill from there. The only thing they got right were the names. They completely butchered the story. It went from absurd to cartoonish to just plain bad. No spoilers here, but the Transcontinental railway didn't connect in Texas, there are no mountains in Texas and Monument Valley is in Arizona. Too bad because this could have been a really great film with a halfway decent script. Instead, I left wanting my $12.50 and 2 1/2 hours back. :mad:

The majority of Monument Valley is in Utah, and Texas has mountains....

https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/mountains.html
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »
...the Transcontinental railway didn't connect in Texas, there are no mountains in Texas and Monument Valley is in Arizona.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 05:43:01 PM »
Ever wonder what Texas would be like if barbecue sauce was illegal?

Or better yet, what if barbecue sauce made in NY was the only legally available source? :rofl

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:52:00 PM by smoe »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
I'll pass on it just because Johnny Depp is in it.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
"I think we shot in every single state in the American southwest," said Hammer. "I think we shot some of it in New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado and California."

None of it in Texas. Probably why it looks like the Rocky Mountains and not Texas.

Here's a pretty good review of it:
"'The Lone Ranger' is a drag as an action movie, it's not funny in its attempts at self-parody, and it feels like a Western made by people working off a checklist of tropes without ever really understanding the genre. Verbinski and his writers have taken a promising idea and put a silver bullet in its head."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:16:31 PM by rpm »
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
You might want to look at the date of that map and/or learn Texas history. That is Texas in 1830. This is Texas in 1869 (timeframe of TLR):
(Image removed from quote.)
how dare they falsify an act of fiction with incorrect sets and stuff,, the nerve!   If I were you I'd demand a refund as soon as possible!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
Had a feeling it was going to suck. Hollywood remakes of classic stories usually do because everyone wants to  go overboard  with taking creative license with everything anymore.

This is one of the reasons I dont bother to go to the movie theaters anymore. TV stuff is better then the crap Hollywood is coming out with
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »
I hear ya Dred. This was a rarity for me to see a movie on opening weekend, but it sounded so promising. There were a few bright spots. The homage to The Wild Bunch at the beginning was subtle and well written. Plus there was much less CGI than most "action" films. Real trains, real stunts, ect. Other than that it was a stinkeroo on a Pearl Harbor scale.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:46 PM »
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
HAhahahaha none of those Texan mountains have a timberline. My house is actually higher up than 75% of those. Cheyenne mountain is just northwest of me and blocks the sun about an hour before official sunset.

Sorry but I live on the front range of the Rockies. Lived in Texas for a number of years and didn't think of their foothills as mountains.