Author Topic: AH community: Tarzan or Lord of the Flies?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: AH community: Tarzan or Lord of the Flies?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
One example.

I remember there was a spat of 'alt-f4' answer to every question. How do I drop my landing gear? Alt-f4. How do I get in and out of the bombsite? Alt-f4. How do I change fuel tanks? Alt-f4.

I know there must be some humor in there. So many just giggle like little 10-year olds. On the boards there was a similar discussion and what was agreed by many of the veterans, or adults, is that we would agree to stop the 'alt-f4' hazing. The thought being, a 2-weeker that we need to build our community would be more inclined to leave than stay if they felt hazed.

Every time questions were asked and the answer was 'alt-f4' many of us would chime in with 'don't do it!' Then give them the proper answer. Finally, openly degrade the practice of giving that answer. It has reached a point where I haven't read on 200 the 'alt-f4' answer for months now, and in generally I rarely see it.

This is an example of the culture I'm thinking of.

boo

Quite true.  As tough as this game is to get off the ground, much less aerially proficient, screwing with new people is flabbergastingly boorish and juvenile.  So say we all?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
Every time questions were asked and the answer was 'alt-f4' many of us would chime in with 'don't do it!' Then give them the proper answer. Finally, openly degrade the practice of giving that answer. It has reached a point where I haven't read on 200 the 'alt-f4' answer for months now, and in generally I rarely see it.

The sole reason for the disappearance of the alt-f4 joke was the warning message introduced by HT some time ago, so total n00bs didn't fall for it anymore.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
you being a "jarhead" know full well what Honor is :aok
:lol yes i know what honor is. what i'm wondering is what honor is there to be had in toonville? i think some are confusing "decent behavior" with "honor".
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
:lol yes i know what honor is. what i'm wondering is what honor is there to be had in toonville? i think some are confusing "decent behavior" with "honor".

why cant you have Honor in a game??????

you would play Chess with Honor wouldn't you?

Honor..... like I said..... is in all things that the one who has Honor does...whether it be in a online game or a business deal......

it is not Honor if it is turned off during a silly online game.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »
Honour ( :)) to me implies an element of self-control / restraint / internal set of ethics which is becoming increasingly displaced by the narcissistic & result-centred paradigm.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 12:21:40 PM »
Honour ( :)) to me implies an element of self-control / restraint / internal set of ethics which is becoming increasingly displaced by the narcissistic & result-centred paradigm.

dead on except it is.........Honor :neener:

although I think both work :D

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but what exactly would dishonourable chess look like?  Other than whining and squeaking if you lose, or browbeating a guy if you beat him...

Honor..... like I said..... is in all things that the one who has Honor does...whether it be in a online game or a business deal......

I still disagree with this.  It's a game.  In the cartoon world, it's a rough game.  What I want from the game ideally is enemies that give no quarter and allies that do the same, but are actually interested in fighting the other side.  When it happens, it's magic.  Unfortunately two sides that are numerous and both equally committed to attack and defense is almost as rare as a good 1v1 these days.

To me, it does your opponents a disservice if you're not doing everything you can to beat them.  It's their job not to let you do it.

To go with the chess analogy, it's like a guy accidentally giving you a free shot at his queen, no repercussions, and you don't take it.  A victory when the other guy's pulling his punches is meaningless.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »
rule #1. don't be a dick
rule #2. See rule #1. nobody likes a dick

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
dead on except it is.........Honor :neener:

although I think both work :D

From an old text book;

"We cant have Honour without u."  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
It's a silent "u", not an invisible "u".  Much like me, I don't say much, but I'm still here..  :devil
TheStig

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

there you are, confusing decent behavior with honor again. hurting people who are weaker than you, stealing, cheating, etc...are matters of honor, talking smack just because you think you can get away with it is a matter of bad behavior. an honorable person can act like an a-hole, doesn't mean he is dishonorable, he's just an a-hole.

i'm curious as to what is considered to be dishonorable in ah's toonville (aside from cheating).
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 01:17:33 PM »
I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but what exactly would dishonourable chess look like?  Other than whining and squeaking if you lose, or browbeating a guy if you beat him...

I still disagree with this.  It's a game.  In the cartoon world, it's a rough game.  What I want from the game ideally is enemies that give no quarter and allies that do the same, but are actually interested in fighting the other side.  When it happens, it's magic.  Unfortunately two sides that are numerous and both equally committed to attack and defense is almost as rare as a good 1v1 these days.

To me, it does your opponents a disservice if you're not doing everything you can to beat them.  It's their job not to let you do it.

To go with the chess analogy, it's like a guy accidentally giving you a free shot at his queen, no repercussions, and you don't take it.  A victory when the other guy's pulling his punches is meaningless.

Wiley.

cheating....

I agree with you as far as we are trying to kill each other in a game....and should play as such....but...... and its a big BUT..... getting the kill at any cost..... ganging one con with 10 or more...vulching for your kills.....PMing Cheat rants or any rant other then to say "good fight".....all dishonorable things....and there are many more then that.

but if someone does not know what Honor is....it does not matter how much or how clear it is spoken out...they will never understand.

there you are, confusing decent behavior with honor again. hurting people who are weaker than you, stealing, cheating, etc...are matters of honor, talking smack just because you think you can get away with it is a matter of bad behavior. an honorable person can act like an a-hole, doesn't mean he is dishonorable, he's just an a-hole.

i'm curious as to what is considered to be dishonorable in ah's toonville (aside from cheating).

I completely disagree...ok not completely but...Honor is truth......if you are being an Ahole talking smack to everyone you are being dishonorable....
Honor whether it be for or AGAINST you.....Facing the Truth...speaking the truth....calling someone out for lame game play IE the 10th con on 1 guy is speaking the truth....its not "smack" talking.....someone who says they are a "fighter" when all they do is stay in the green cloud....calling them for what they are is Truth....

read my sig...THAT is Honor....Honour for you guys over the ocean :neener:

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:38 PM »
My thoughts

I understand why vulching and HOing is considered a bad behaviour. To be honest I have done both myself for one reason or another, not proud of it. I understand vulching when a base is being attacked for capture. If you want new players to behave then set an example and remain calm and polite. Angry messages and calling someone a noob will not help imho. I used to read a lot of war stories about WW2 pilots. In books and movies two fighters approaching head to head with guns blazing is often described as an exploit of bravery or normal start of combat.
Do not salute if someone HOd/vulched and you did not have a good fight. If the same player gets you another time in a decent fight salute or send a private message and praise the guy for having a decent fight instead of a head on or something like that.

If someone behaves in a way that is commonly considered bad and you can`t resist texting, explain politely. The community wants to draw in new players, but I think too much is expected from them at first. There are slogans like "best WW2 combat experience online", "free two week trial" on homepage. It can be expected that newcomers jump right into the action without knowing the controls or the arena etiquette. If the two week trial is running it is too late to tell someone to go to the training area etc, because time is running. Many start the trial period unknowingly and want to get the max online experience out of it.

I do not understand one thing.
Some guys as expressed before want frequent missions and squad action that creates a more colloquial environment; both a camaraderie as well as a culture of behaviour and excellence, group play etc. At the same time some squads like the V dudes and others are insulted and said to be using numbers to win the war instear of skill and good game play. How does that come together. You want squad operation and missions, but insult squads and players that do missions.

The crying about the channel 200 is something of a mystery to me. I have never used it and probably never will on the basis of what I have read in the forum. If you do not like what is going on in there, select another channel. There are supposed to be channels 200-299 to choose for chatting with friends from other countries and also an option to send private messages.

In my opinion the experienced guys should review their behaviour first if they want a better gaming culture and retain the trial period players. I have seen some unjustified insults towards newcomers. In the interest of good gaming culture it might be a good idea to use less vox after having one too many refreshment drinks (not a frequent issue).

Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
Honour for you guys over the ocean :neener:

:salute<S> Ink.           :neener:
TheStig

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 01:46:05 PM »