Author Topic: More detailed terrain?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
More detailed terrain?
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
I love Aces High since 1999... :)

The plane 3D modelling is detailed very high now.
But the terrain graphics is getting old.

I wish that HTC add more advanced graphics for terrain.

Thanks,
Mitsu

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: More detailed terrain?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
I love Aces High since 1999... :)

The plane 3D modelling is detailed very high now.
But the terrain graphics is getting old.

I wish that HTC add more advanced graphics for terrain.

Thanks,
Mitsu

I wish that HTC would have a list that all users must read of previous wishes that have been denied and then a reason as to why it was denied. But that's just me.

As for this wish, it hasn't been done because alot of the player base has low end computers. Irrelevant if the player base thinks this or not, it is true, and HTC has given no reason otherwise.
+1 for idea -1 for availability.

If you increased the graphics now it would be too high for anyone else to play on. Except a select few.

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 06:18:05 PM »
I suspect that terrain improvements are on HTC's list of things to do, but only they have a good grasp of what the computers their players are using are.

As I recall you just recently bought a new PC, right, Mitsu?  That likely puts you far ahead of the curve, but the curve should be moving gradually towards more power.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
I suspect that terrain improvements are on HTC's list of things to do, but only they have a good grasp of what the computers their players are using are.

As I recall you just recently bought a new PC, right, Mitsu?  That likely puts you far ahead of the curve, but the curve should be moving gradually towards more power.

Getting my new comp this mid august  :banana: :banana:

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »

Low end computer representatives inbound in 3...2...1...

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »

Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:40:10 PM »
Wow that looks good.  :O
I would really really like to see some variety in the terrain too.  Like desert or winter for the MA.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
As coombz's pics show, the problem isn't so much the terrain system itself, it's the fact that the terrains in the Mains are mostly conversions of ones that have been around for years, so don't take full advantage of the new system. What's really needed are people making new maps that take advantage of the full range of features in the new terrain editor.

Now, the water model COULD stand an upgrade so it behaves more like actual water than just ground with different textures and slightly different behavior when you hit it (animated waves would ROCK).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »
Just another note: The lighting/environment model could probably use a bit of tweaking as well. Y'know, like fixing the sun and moon rising at a fixed point in relation to your aircraft and instead give them their own orbits in relation to the world itself, throw in some colored lighting effects for sunrise/sunset, etc. For the environment, maybe add gusts to the wind effect so it's not a constant blow, turbulence, thermals, something to make the environment feel more ALIVE.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:57:59 PM »
Just another note: The lighting/environment model could probably use a bit of tweaking as well. Y'know, like fixing the sun and moon rising at a fixed point in relation to your aircraft and instead give them their own orbits in relation to the world itself, throw in some colored lighting effects for sunrise/sunset, etc. For the environment, maybe add gusts to the wind effect so it's not a constant blow, turbulence, thermals, something to make the environment feel more ALIVE.

Flocks of birds (doesnt have to be collidable)
Personnel manning auto ack guns
Sun rays
Swaying trees/better looking trees
Better smoke/fire effects
Oil that streaks on your canopy instead of static black mesh
Similarily, water droplets flying through clouds
Contrails
Concussion effects from explosions
Better looking debris instead of plane parts that looks way out of place when they fall
Reflective canopy glass (it looks like glass in external view, but internal view, it's like the glass isn't even there)
Depth of field
Realistic/varied puffy ack explosions
Water (like you said)
Dust/water spray when flying close to the ground
Better damage effects on objects, planes and vehicles
New ship death animation
Fireballs that rolls on the ground relative to the impact direction instead of just a puff
Different effects for rockets, bombs, shells and cannons (they all look the same)
Tracers that corresponds with the plane historically

Oh my, I could ramble on for days.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »
Sun rays
Contrails
Better looking debris instead of plane parts that looks way out of place when they fall
Reflective canopy glass (it looks like glass in external view, but internal view, it's like the glass isn't even there)
Depth of field
Water (like you said)
New ship death animation
Fireballs that rolls on the ground relative to the impact direction instead of just a puff
Different effects for rockets, bombs, shells and cannons (they all look the same)

:airplane: +1, +1, +1
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
I wish that HTC would have a list that all users must read of previous wishes that have been denied and then a reason as to why it was denied. But that's just me.

As for this wish, it hasn't been done because alot of the player base has low end computers. Irrelevant if the player base thinks this or not, it is true, and HTC has given no reason otherwise.
+1 for idea -1 for availability.

If you increased the graphics now it would be too high for anyone else to play on. Except a select few.

Tinkles

<<S>>
:airplane: I am a basic computer user in this game! I know how to turn on the computer and turn it off, but not much else as for as how to on certain things! Looks to me like "advanced graphics" should be a option in the options section of hangar and if low end computers couldn't comply with same, then operator shouldn't turn on advanced graphics. Does that make any sense to anyone? That way, for those of us who have advanced graphic features on our computers, could then enjoy the game more. I still would like to see clouds in all the arena's. Makes the game more realistic!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »
I would like a new shore/ shallow water brush that doesn't involve using snow/coral.   You can see how silly the white bits look in one of coombzys pics.  

From what I can see of the TE it involves alot of man hours to get results similar to grinder's.  

The TE itself is like the game, the more you use it the better you can make things look.   With the exception of crater MA and grinder the others are just old maps with a questionable amount of time that went into making them.  Maybe in the next year or so I'll have BruvMA finished!     :pray.  

Also to be fair to HTC,  warthunder's terrain looks very similar to FA's old patchwork quilt approach and if you look closely it isn't as great as some make it out to be.   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:24:31 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Sun rays
Contrails
Depth of field
Water (like you said)
New ship death animation

I'm sure ... but you don't ask for much, do ya?  :D

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 08:32:36 AM »
throw in some colored lighting effects for sunrise/sunset

Like this?  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi_cdbiKfvs
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM