Author Topic: New Yak impressions?  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
New Yak impressions?
« on: July 17, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »
Long work hours leave me no room to download the update and play :cry

So, what do you guys/gals think and feel about the new Yaks? 

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: New Yak impressions?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
Pre-flight anticipation is for the plane to feel not as fast as a mustang (but similar), and not as nimble as a spit but maybe a 109 (like a bloated early-mid model 109 with less rudder/tail authority).  If the books are right, it should have the potential in speed and maneuverability to hold its own in AH, but still won't be the most user/pilot friendly fighter in the game (small/squat cockpit, and I've read a couple sources and heard from a couple pilots that it's tail/rudder surfaces (or rather, lack there of) is the plane's real problem, often times resulting in departures from controlled flight if you were careless and/or heavy with the yak's ailerons. 

It's not a 152, and due to not having a similar CG I don't think it will have similar problems with tail-first slides from 28k to terra firma, but (books, manuals, and pilots have indicated) it should have a similar departure from controlled flight at high speeds along the yaw axis if one gets too heavy/agressive with the ailerons in a roll/break.  I will be looking for this in AH tonight while flying the plane.

The one thing I don't know to believe the documentation on though, is that supposedly this described manuever doesn't wipe all your speed and you recover (maybe the plane recovers itself) rather quickly after inducing the uncontrolled departure, and in the original forward direction.  (You're going 350 knts, slam the stick over, tumble with your arse infront of your prop a couple times in the air, and miraculopusly will recover heading in the same general direction and just a bit slower than before....  :confused:  :huh .... sounds way too Hollywood/unreal to be true!)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:57:32 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »
I have not flown the updated Yak-9U yet, but the Yak-3 feels like it accelerates like a banshee.  It is light on the controls and is a dream to fly.  It is fast, rolls well, climbs well, etc.  It does everything well.  As I've always said, shots taken have to be very true, there is no room for "ranging", or "testing the lead aim", etc. You must only fire when the shots are true, the ammo is simply too short in supply.  With that being said I earned 2 kills my first time up in the -3.  I happen to better a C205 and a 190D-9 in ACM's and was able to get right on their six and rip off enough parts to get them to bail or crash.  I was able to evade enemy fire well enough to get home and land safely.

I did fly the -7B in the TA, it feels heavy.  I've not flown the -9T yet.  On paper, the -9U is faster than the -3, but I'm most curious as to how they compare while pushing the envelope in maneuvers.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:05:13 PM »
The -9U is slightly faster and has a significantly higher top speed at altitude, but it does not accelerate as well and it seems to depart from controlled flight in a turn more abruptly. The -3 is, I think, a significantly superior fighter for typical AH combat altitudes.  It feels like the turn rate on the -3 is a lot higher and its climb rate is certainly higher, well over 4000fpm initially.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
I took a screen shot of the Yak-3 climbing. At 2,000 feet, it was climbing at just about 4,700 fpm. In the image, it's still climbing at well over 4,500 fpm approaching 4,000 feet. Fuel load was 25%, zero burn rate. That's competitive with the Spit16 and 109K4 at low altitude. Acceleration is similar to the La-7, taking 7.97 seconds to go from 150 mph to 200 mph at sea level. Max speed at 50 feet ASL was 351 mph.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:40:20 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »
Just for information, that "4700" number is not on autoclimb, and at 25% fuel, giving you 7 minutes of flight time. Realistically, you will only see about 4200fpm for a brief period on the deck.

For comparison, the K4 (often seen as one of AH's premier performers in terms of engine power) can pull over 5200fpm off of autoclimb at 25% fuel (still giving only 8 minutes of flight time though), IIRC.

In my opinion, the Yak-3 is a slightly above average fighter performance wise. Its funny to see all the orgasming about how fast the Yak-3 is, while I'm chasing one down. But what will make it dangerous is that it packs performance AND maneuverability.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:11:04 AM »
It's fast around the bends?  Angles win fights.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »
Its about time we had a "Proletariat" plane that can hold its own against the Narzzie horde :)

Its has decent range,armament and good climb rate :)

I am sure that this will a plane that will be flown alot :old:

Tilt from The Few has had to be sedated and sent to bed, he is "Spent" with all the excitement :old:

I shot down Coombzy from The Few in a Yak 3 he was like a baby seal waiting to be despatched :rofl

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 04:10:52 AM »
downloading  now and will give a FPH's honest opinion.    :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »
I hear that the Yak-3 is a sport and likes candid photography.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 05:14:48 AM »
Yak7 is the most fun. Yak3 is going to be potent that's for sure
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 06:04:55 AM »
Awesome.   Nuff said   :aok

PS:  don't perk it because the ammo load out is only enough for 5-6 fighter kills max. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 06:18:03 AM »
The TrackIr works well with the yak3  with no seat head rest or armor.   About the best view in the game.

Tried a tankful and got 2 kills in a short time that fuel last.

I use the P38 most of the time but on a base defense of a horde attack, the yak3 might be the best plane in the game for that.   Tried a tankful and got 2 kills in a short time that fuel last.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 06:24:20 AM »
Awesome.   Nuff said   :aok

PS:  don't perk it because the ammo load out is only enough for 5-6 fighter kills max. 

I shot down Coombzy in a Yak3 on Yak3 action, he immediately logged :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 06:25:40 AM »
I shot down Coombzy in a Yak3 on Yak3 action, he immediately logged :rofl

i don't blame him!    :rofl