Author Topic: New Yak impressions?  (Read 4855 times)

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
Re: New Yak impressions?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 07:12:32 AM »
Yep very nice plane im going to put some time into the Yak 3 for sure.
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 07:14:30 AM »
I have only fought one Yak so far which was a 9T flown by Wmaker. After a few merges this soon turned into a one circle, flaps out, stall horn blaring turnfight on the deck. I recall being able to outturn the old 9T with no problem in this sort of fight with my F6F but this went on for ages with no real progress being made by either of us. Eventually some friendlies showed up and engaged Wmaker so I broke off, but it was a fun fight while it lasted. Not exactly a scientific test as I don't recall fighting an old 9T flown by anyone of Wmaker's skill, but I'll certainly give Yaks a bit more respect now.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 07:35:35 AM »
According to the patch notes there were no FM changes to the 9T and U. Wmaker is just better than the other 9T pilots.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 07:57:21 AM »
My first impressions are the 3 climbs better then the 9. The 9 has more zoom and dive, the 9 holds together better at high speed, the 3 is slightly more agile. They feel like they accelerate the same. The 3 has an incredible snap turn in the 200 mph range and it does feel a bit more responsive. A very worthwhile build.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
I have only fought one Yak so far which was a 9T flown by Wmaker. After a few merges this soon turned into a one circle, flaps out, stall horn blaring turnfight on the deck. I recall being able to outturn the old 9T with no problem in this sort of fight with my F6F but this went on for ages with no real progress being made by either of us. Eventually some friendlies showed up and engaged Wmaker so I broke off, but it was a fun fight while it lasted. Not exactly a scientific test as I don't recall fighting an old 9T flown by anyone of Wmaker's skill, but I'll certainly give Yaks a bit more respect now.

It was a lot of fun! There were couple situations where I really should have made smarter decisions in that fight but was probably too tired to make them. :) One thing that takes a bit getting used to is the counter clockwise turning prop as I've not really flown the Yaks except couple rare instancies.

I don't think the flight model has changed per say since it wasn't mentioned in the release notes. One thing that of course does make a difference is the new 20mm loadout which I had in that fight. It is 339lbs lighter than the 37mm and also I had taken 75% fuel instead of 100%.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:24:30 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »
I am permanently sedated these days Zack........ The Mem Sahib advises it's for my own good.

Playing with the 3 last night I was very happy. SA ( as stated above with TIR) is superb. It's better now on the 9's to.

Very manouverable it changes direction very crisply and positively. It's basically catch>point>shoot.

Flat accel good but give it the shallowest of dive angles and watch it catch stuff up! Not a thorough test but nose down there was little I could not catch. Twice caught 51's in dives they had started first....... I don't do that in the La7. Infact just as the pilot notes say the problem is controlling the dive speed.
The needle quickly gets to 525-550 upon which the lightest touch on the stick removes both elevators. ( same for the 7b). I don't remember this on the old 9's but it could be I just was not trying.

Twice found I was reversing A5's using flat scissors!..... Maybe I was just lucky.

Very nice for picking.......

Still stuff to learn and encumbered by my general suckage still other stuff to work out. After all when you no longer have youth and skill on your side the only alternative is experience and treachery.  :devil
Ludere Vincere

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
Just for information, that "4700" number is not on autoclimb, and at 25% fuel, giving you 7 minutes of flight time. Realistically, you will only see about 4200fpm for a brief period on the deck.

"Just for information", I saw 4,700 fpm using autoclimb. What you see in the image is 4,565 fpm in autoclimb, beginning at sea level at 160 mph TAS. I've been testing aircraft in Aces High for more than 10 years. I use Badboy's Bootstrap calculator, the best tool available for quantifying turn performance. I test to reveal maximum performance. The standard used is 25% fuel. Obviously, a full fuel load will reduce climb and acceleration. However, like 109s, the Yaks have a rather small (meaning light) fuel capacity. Thus, you will often be flying with little more than 50% fuel aboard. A light Yak-3 will climb with a 25% fuel 109G-14 below 3k, and turn circles around it. On the other hand, the 109G-2 can give the Yak-3 fits, especially below 200 mph. The 109F-4 will out-turn the Yak, but is at a disadvantage if the fight goes vertical below 5k. I envision that the Yak-3 will be an excellent match against the Ki-84 in duels.

Climb rate and acceleration fall off steadily above 5,000 feet. Again, at sea level, the Yak-3 is among the best in the game. At 10k, not so much. It is literally the inverse of the Spitfire 14, which gets better and better as the altitude goes up. At 10,000 feet I saw 381 mph, which is identical to the Typhoon. However, the Typhoon requires WEP, the Yak can make that speed until it runs out of gas.

The Yak-3 was designed to be a lightweight battlefield air superiority fighter. Down low, it is very capable. I do not think it is much of a furball fighter, due to the lack of hitting power. Snap shots are rarely fatal to opposing fighters.

Doing some offline tests, I found that it will shed its ailerons at about 525 mph in a dive. It begins groaning around 500 mph. Without ailerons, the Yak-3 will roll right, and it cannot be countered by rudder. To get the wings level, you must reduce power to near idle, and stand on full left rudder.

Turn rate: Astonishing instantaneous turn rate at corner speed. Sustained, its turn radius just about matches the Spit16 (no flaps). It can fly circles a tad smaller than the La-7, both without and with flaps. Flaps don't begin to drop until around 150 mph, reducing their usefulness. Again, not unlike the Spit16. The max gear speed is right at 200 mph. Outward visibility (especially forward) is the best of any fighter (except, perhaps, the I-16), with no reinforcing structure in the windscreen.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
Widewing:

That is really excellent information. Thank you for doing that. If you don't mind, I would like to know how it compares to the Brewster. I assume the Yak 3 and the Brew will turn at low alt about the same. I assume that the Yak 3 will do just about everything else better. But those are assumptions.

Just an observation from someone whose ACM skills are not great. I think the Yak 3 handles really well and the noise level is very easy. I do realize that the noise level is related to what sound pack you use. Someone mentioned recovery from a flight departure.....  turning stall I guess. My first impression is that it recovers very easily. But I haven't yet explored all the various maneuvers.

It might be a good first or second fighter for newbies.
Tex78

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
First impressions,Yak3 is a beast.  :aok I'll be flying this over the La7 for quick base defense.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
Any eny changes to the 9U and 9T?
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
One thing that of course does make a difference is the new 20mm loadout which I had in that fight. It is 339lbs lighter than the 37mm and also I had taken 75% fuel instead of 100%.

That would probably account for the difference I noticed. At the time I wasn't aware there was a 20mm option.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »
Yak-3 moved into my top 5 my 2nd sortie. (First one I got vulched lol) it's for a great "fighter pilots plane"- bruv119

I have to agree with him 100% on that it's not perfect but with someone that has a better than average shot its a freaking beast. All the ammo you need to make 5-6 kills a sortie.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
Yak-3 is superb. It can keep up with a p-51 in a dive, even though control surfaces break off at ~550 mph. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to have any issues from compression, just that control surfaces break off at vey high speed. Very easy to control, I give it a solid A :aok
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
Just for information", I saw 4,700 fpm using autoclimb. What you see in the image is 4,565 fpm in autoclimb, beginning at sea level at 160 mph TAS.

I tested online and peaked at around 4400fpm with 25% and full ammo, using autoclimb, of course.

The rest I agree with almost entirely.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
I'm seriously disappointed HTC is going this arbitrary "pop the controls off at X speeds" nonsense. They're doing it more and more, and it's just not right. Lock it up. Make it uncontrollable so you die in an unrecoverable dive (there are many records of such things happening in WW2), but pop the ailerons off?

Utter nonsense.