Author Topic: New Yak impressions?  (Read 4854 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: New Yak impressions?
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »
-The short legs will keep it primarily a point defense fighter though it may struggle vs. buffs more than other types.  
Like with 9U, the legs are not as short as it seems. These planes do not have to fly at full throttle 100% of the time. Reducing throttle or just RPM during flight from/to battle significantly increase their range and the cost of very little of the speed. Full MIL power here is the same as WEP on other planes, and most other planes will not last long if it were possible to keep them on WEP 100% of the time.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 02:36:12 AM »
Am I the only one that think this plane is insane?

It feels like it is full of helium and has no inertia. First fly I took off, held it at 90mph nose way up in the sky and it rocketed up at 3500-4000 fpm... at 90 mph! :rolleyes: The only thing that prevented me from going into a vertical climb was that the full-power torque could not be countered at a lower speed. You can take off with this thing and immediately do a loop. Takeoff run is as short as a zero.

If someone wants to BzN you with it he can do so forever never loosing his energy no matter what he does.

The Yak-3 completely blows the 9U out of the water. They are not even in the same league.

what makes you think that the yak-3 wasn't a fantastic aircraft Bozon? 

Many planes in game perform feats of utter wonder and going on all the weights and flight modelling this plane was awesome by all accounts.   Even the Germans were told to RTB upon sighting this beautiful little beast.   For good reason.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 03:39:26 AM »
I am sure it was fantastic and I have no objective way to measure how it handled. All I know is how it handles in AH compared to other AC and generally how high power prop planes suppose to handle. The slow speed power performance seem a bit off the normal scale. The more I think about it, the more it feels like it has very little induced drag - but I did not test it! What I mean is that you do not feel the normal drop in excess power when riding the back of the power curve, and it looses very little speed when pulling G at idle power compared to other planes. Perhaps this is why it climbs at nearly 4000 fpm at 90 mph. PERHAPS, again I did no tests.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 06:30:14 AM »
I noticed that the prop seems to go the opposite way to the torque...  :confused:

:huh

Have you heard of Newton's third law of motion? That's how it should be.

At least in the torque roll aerobatics maneuver the Yaks start rotating to the opposite direction of the prop as they should.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:50:45 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Grayclif

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
Power to weight ratio seems to be accurate.

This plane just replaced the Spit 8 for me....

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »

At least in the torque roll aerobatics maneuver the Yaks start rotating to the opposite direction of the prop as they should.
I'm pointing out the obvious, get a sense of humour.

In the MA over range I have been complaining that the prop is on backwards, I bet you would take that literally to   :/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:48:23 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »
I'm pointing out the obvious, get a sense of humour.

In the MA over range I have been complaining that the prop is on backwards, I bet you would take that literally to   :/

Yes, because text is so effective at conveying the subtle nuances of language  :rolleyes:.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
Edit/ahh...nevermind/EDIT
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:29:47 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
Dolby never knows what he's talking about.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »

Here's where I have an issue.... The prop rotates clockwise when viewed from the cockpit. Normal torque applies a rotational moment counter clockwise. However, if you remove the ailerons, torque is applied in a clockwise direction. Why?
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »

Here's where I have an issue.... The prop rotates clockwise when viewed from the cockpit. Normal torque applies a rotational moment counter clockwise. However, if you remove the ailerons, torque is applied in a clockwise direction. Why?

Forgive the lack of terminology, but would it not be due to the corkscrew of air flowing over the wings coming off the propeller hitting the wings at different AoA's?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
In my several hours of flying the Yak-3 yesterday, my impression is as follows.

It makes almost every other aircraft in the set feel lacking below 12,000 feet. Seriously lacking, at that.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »

Erm, the prop turns counter clockwise in the Yaks like it should unless my eyes are lying. And therefore a torque rolls happens to the clockwise direction, again as it should. In most of the prop jobs in AH it's the opposite of course.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
Durring the later part of the war, somewhere at some time, some luftwaffe person may have said something about avoiding yaks with an oil cooler here or there or this that or the other thing.

Who exactly said this is unknown to at least me.
What exactly he was in charge of, if anything at all is also unknown to at least me.
Whom he was talking to is also unknown to at least me.

Maybe the guy was a navigator on a 1929 transport plane talking to his dog spot while both were sloshed on bavarian wine??
I doubt he was a squad leader of g10s or k4s.
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »
good plane fly's easy..... turns good...... stalls good.......

guns suk arse......

my Ki eats them up. :aok