Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 16336 times)

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
True, but there weren't many of those compared to the Merlin-engine ones.  Still, it's probably better for me to say that the P-51B and D are British and American.  :aok

Also rather ironically, the symbol of American air power was paid for by the Air Ministry. Britain paid for the research, development and production of the Mustang because we needed fighters. So North American said they would build a new plane and production line for the same cost as opening a P-40 line. So Britain said, o.k, and paid for the project. Then the RAF pilots gave feedback saying that the Allison was no good at the higher altitudes needed for modern day fighters and that the armament was a bit light so it was condemned to low level PR missions. Then an RAF officer said, "what happens if we put a Spitfire Mk IX engine in this". And there you have the P-51B.

British money, British engines, British pilots and American aircraft designers created the greatest fighter aircraft in American history. 
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »
I just came back after a few months sabbatical.I noticed the blog on the Yak3,and I decided to give it a try.In my opinion it would be perked if it wasn't for it's short clip!I have to sqrew up really bad to get killed in it,which I'm perfectly capable of!I will probably fly it 90% of the time,as it makes the game fun for me,and makes me very conservative with my shot selection!All of you naysayers that think the Yak3 is over modeled,just look at the Brewster,Me163,and a lot of others that flying way above their real life ability!

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »
In AH it seems to be a magic machine, it can make 6 reversals while I just fly straight and level at 350mph and still catch me in a TA152.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2013, 11:24:09 PM »
In AH it seems to be a magic machine, it can make 6 reversals while I just fly straight and level at 350mph and still catch me in a TA152.
Film please.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2013, 01:47:08 AM »
I just came back after a few months sabbatical.I noticed the blog on the Yak3,and I decided to give it a try.In my opinion it would be perked if it wasn't for it's short clip!I have to sqrew up really bad to get killed in it,which I'm perfectly capable of!I will probably fly it 90% of the time,as it makes the game fun for me,and makes me very conservative with my shot selection!All of you naysayers that think the Yak3 is over modeled,just look at the Brewster,Me163,and a lot of others that flying way above their real life ability!

Short clip AND short legs, AND no ord, AND poor low speed roll, poor low speed torque effects, barely useful flaps that only pop at 150...
Other than target profile and a little speed, the Spit 16 still holds all the cards.  The LA7 offers speed and firepower at least a couple notches above the Yak3 and is not perked. Even late model 109s can give it a run for its money on the deck turning where the -3 is strongest due to fowler flaps at 200(?) and better stability.  Above 10k, climb is still decent but with notable decrease in turn performance. 

Overall I think it is a potent but fairly awkward bird to fly. 
1. It doesn't have uber turn characteristics to survive TnB vs Zekes, Brews or Spits.  It is competitive with the Ki-84 and N1K before flaps factor in however.
2.  It doesn't have the speed to get away from the Pony, Typhs, K4s and Doras. 
3. It does climb well at low alt making it a good energy fighter and is best flown like a jug; however it lacks good elevator authority at speed and has insufficient firepower and ammo to consistently make high speed snapshots. 

I also suspect that the damage model got nerfed with the last patch.  What was comparable to the FM2 in toughness now seems more in the range of a Pony, which is probably where it belongs anyway.   :cry

It's a very good plane and I've flown it more than any other this tour but 18 ENY is about right...
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Prof. Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
^^^
An accurate depiction but fails to mention..

1. It has no ashtray.
2. It has no cup holder.
3. Not one bullet hole is covered under warranty.

Bah! No wonder they are giving them away.
Push the button Max

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
« Reply #186 on: July 28, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »
Hopefully the fad will die but I don't think so.  Since it's introduction it seems every furball I fly over is Yaks and Spiteens with a couple 109s and Nikis.

I think it will become one of the on the deck furball planes of choice from now on.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
Is this thread STILL going?  Wow.  You'd think that somehow the Yak-3 (or even the 9U) could carry 3000 lbs of ord, spray and pray without worry of ammo, have 400 mph speed at under 15k, fly for an hour at full throttle w/o drop tanks, have great handling characteristics, AND be perk free...  oh wait, that describes the P51D perfectly.

Seriously folks... complaining about the Yak-3 as being a "manifestation of noobs", etc, is rather weak.  I say it is rather nice to see something other than the P51D, La7, Spit16, etc.  It is easy to fly, not so easy to earn kills with.  Find something worth while to address.  k?  Thanks.   ;)

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
I say it is rather nice to see something other than the P51D, La7, Spit16, etc.

I haven't had such good fortune:

Air to Air fights:
Versus P-51D: 39/9
Versus La7: 3/2
Versus Spit16: 3/4
Versus Yak-3: 1/1

The P-51D is still the most popular chariot of the eunuchs.  If you check the stats for the current tour,  the 51D has more kills than the La7 and Spit16 combined.  Same as it ever was.

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Is this thread STILL going?  Wow.  You'd think that somehow the Yak-3 (or even the 9U) could carry 3000 lbs of ord, spray and pray without worry of ammo, have 400 mph speed at under 15k, fly for an hour at full throttle w/o drop tanks, have great handling characteristics, AND be perk free...  oh wait, that describes the P51D perfectly.

Seriously folks... complaining about the Yak-3 as being a "manifestation of noobs", etc, is rather weak.  I say it is rather nice to see something other than the P51D, La7, Spit16, etc.  It is easy to fly, not so easy to earn kills with.  Find something worth while to address.  k?  Thanks.   ;)

lol I agree +1
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2013, 12:04:10 PM »
Flying anything under 15 eny has become so incredibly boring I have no desire to do it anymore.

Im not a score guy but a lot of people are. To bad they cant come up with some kind of formula that would rank up players higher when they use high eny aircraft successfully. It would be a more interesting LWA if they did. Ive seen some players fly against 4 or 5 enemies so well, while in high eny aircraft, that when finally shot down I'd say to myself "to bad they cant get credit for that piece of flying".

The Yak-3 will not end up the Soviet P-51. It will take its place besides the 9, tho it will probably end up being flown more then the 9U. I myself like the 9U better but the 3 was one of the more worthwhile builds Ive seen. Its a fine air craft.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »

Also rather ironically, the symbol of American air power was paid for by the Air Ministry. Britain paid for the research, development and production of the Mustang because we needed fighters. So North American said they would build a new plane and production line for the same cost as opening a P-40 line. So Britain said, o.k, and paid for the project. Then the RAF pilots gave feedback saying that the Allison was no good at the higher altitudes needed for modern day fighters and that the armament was a bit light so it was condemned to low level PR missions. Then an RAF officer said, "what happens if we put a Spitfire Mk IX engine in this". And there you have the P-51B.

British money, British engines, British pilots and American aircraft designers created the greatest fighter aircraft in American history. 

I got proper abuse for stating this :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I got proper abuse for stating this :old:

Harsh.  That's not right.  That's like some violation of your rights, like as a person or something.  Isn't it, though?

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »
I flew the yak-3 last night for the first time... it has some rather nasty characteristics once the flaps are deployed.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
I flew the yak-3 last night for the first time... it has some rather nasty characteristics once the flaps are deployed.

That's why I try to fly it like a baby jug.  If kept between 250 and 400 you're really well off, but then again that goes for most fighters...
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein