Author Topic: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride  (Read 17232 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Yak3 horde, manifestation of newest noob ride
« Reply #300 on: December 01, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
I consider myself a decent stick in a K4....but if I faced myself in a N1K...the N1k would win. Flat out fact
I am a bad stick in the K-4 and against me the N1K2 would either lose or make it a draw.  I can't see how the N1K is going to do anything to the K-4 unless you play the N1K's game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #301 on: December 01, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
Disagree. 

A crutch plane is one that does one or more things exceptionally well, thereby allowing the pilot to rely solely on those exceptional attributes to get kills and/or survive encounters he would otherwise not.   

Last part of that is the key.  Some guys are good enough to be killers in anything they fly.  Those guys could be  flying a Tempest around all day and IMO, that Tempest isn't a crutch plane.  Others, and we all know who they are, that isn't the case. 

Nonsense. I've flown most of the planes in the game and have gotten kills in all of them. It requires considerably more commitment experience and knowledge of how those planes that have those one or two  exceptional attributes work in non advantageous positions that everyone ends up in at one point or another. The D9 for example is much more difficult to fly in that aspect then say. The NIKI or the La7. Yes its great in climb and flat out speed. But find yourself in less then ideal circumstances and things get very dicy in a hurry and you better know the plane inside and out right down to throttle and RPM settings. Far less work in a NIK, Spit, or La where you dont have to think if the plane as much as you do what you want to do.

Again I ask. If there were a new player in the game. would you recommend them the D9 or K4 to start out in? Or something more like the spit the NIK or La7?
Still you can B&Z in any plane in the game. the D9 does it better then many but I've done as much in a 109F as well as a NIKI or LA. But the crutch planes do those other things well too. Thats why they are so popular. You rarely see a ton of 190's in one place. Not so with Spits, Yak3's and La7's
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #302 on: December 01, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »
Nonsense. I've flown most of the planes in the game and have gotten kills in all of them. It requires considerably more commitment experience and knowledge of how those planes that have those one or two  exceptional attributes work in non advantageous positions that everyone ends up in at one point or another. The D9 for example is much more difficult to fly in that aspect then say. The NIKI or the La7. Yes its great in climb and flat out speed. But find yourself in less then ideal circumstances and things get very dicy in a hurry and you better know the plane inside and out right down to throttle and RPM settings. Far less work in a NIK, Spit, or La where you dont have to think if the plane as much as you do what you want to do.

Again I ask. If there were a new player in the game. would you recommend them the D9 or K4 to start out in? Or something more like the spit the NIK or La7?
Still you can B&Z in any plane in the game. the D9 does it better then many but I've done as much in a 109F as well as a NIKI or LA. But the crutch planes do those other things well too. Thats why they are so popular. You rarely see a ton of 190's in one place. Not so with Spits, Yak3's and La7's

Did you just say "rarely see a ton of 190s in one place"?  You must use Alt-I more often because that is the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen.  I'm seeing more 190s, LALAs and 51s right now in game than I see of anything else "in one place". I shall begin to take screen shots.

Endeavor to perservere
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2013, 11:11:36 PM »
I am a bad stick in the K-4 and against me the N1K2 would either lose or make it a draw.  I can't see how the N1K is going to do anything to the K-4 unless you play the N1K's game.

I agree with Karnak.  The K4 has a superior top speed, superior acceleration, superior rate of climb,better rudder authority  and better altitude performance.  the K4 is the better plane by a large margin in a 1v1 situation.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #304 on: December 01, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »

Still you can B&Z in any plane in the game. the D9 does it better then many but I've done as much in a 109F as well as a NIKI or LA. But the crutch planes do those other things well too.

Having started this game in the D9 I'd honestly tell a new player to skip it and use a spit unless they are going to "lone wolf" for a while and actually care about landing kills.  D9 is hard for a new player to learn in my opinion.

All this being said...

*Warning: Some of the following constitute ACES HIGH HERSEY.  Stop reading now!!*

I think the first thing I'd recommend to any new player would be a list of rules rather than what ride to climb into.  They go something like this:  

1.) The (EW/MW/LW) MA is the (EW/MW/LW) MA and the DA is the DA.  Don't expect DA 1 on 1 dueling behavior in the MA and vice versa. They are used for different things and the generally accepted rules of one do not always apply when in the other.    Anyone who states otherwise should be ignored (see rule #8 below for further details).

2.) Never tune to ch200.  It's mindless fun for a while...but eventually it drains the soul and the brain. Best to remain happy, whole and intelligent.

3.) Never respond to a PM whine.  Ignore it or, if you must reply, do so politely and move on.  

4.) You will meet some individuals who act very poorly while playing this game.  Use these as an example of how NOT to act.  Also...reference rule #8 for further guidance.

5.) A HO shot is where both you AND your opponent have a gun solution with forward firing guns at the same time. Any other situation is NOT a HO shot. Also, while a HO is a valid tactic it's also stupid and considered poor form...you are best to avoid it.  

6.) Find a good squad who will teach you wingman and team-based tactics.  Use these tactics.   Sadly few of these squads exist anymore and those that do are sometimes ridiculed by a minority of players.  Again, ignore these individuals and see #8 below.

7.) Getting altitude, attacking from the sun with E, zooming up and repeating and all the things you read about that real (i.e. non-cartoon) fighter pilots use are valid tactics in the (EW/MW/LW) MA.  Rule #8 applies to any who state otherwise, complain or hurl insults at you when you use these tactics to end their cartoon existence.

8.) A vocal minority of Aces High players will do or say things that don't make a lot of sense.  If you use smart tactics like those listed in rule #7 above...they will say you are meek, cowardly or call you a "score wh0r3".  If you manage to be the one to kill them when they foolishly dive into a fight significantly outnumbered they may insult you, blame you for their poor tactics, and may even call you are a "horde monkey" or some similar label.  Be polite and remember they pay $14.95 per month and so may play the game as they wish.  Remember that you also pay $14.95 per month and so allowed to play the game as YOU wish...not as THEY wish you to play it.

9.) Some of these individuals will ask that you meet them in the DA for a "duel".  While you should generally ignore players who are rude, some are actually quite skilled one on one.  Accept the challenge, meet them in the DA and film the duels.  You may well lose every match, but the experience gained is worth it.  

Always be polite during this time...you may find some of the ruder ones will mellow and you may make a friend.  For the ones who don't and continue to hurl insults at you...you can secretly smile knowing that your continuing to be nice is irritating them to no end.   :D

10.) Every once in a while you will see a lone set of B17s flying low near a fight.  You will immediately want to dive on this foolish pilot and crush him in your <fill-in-the-blank-fighter>.  Do not give in to this temptation, for that be 999000 aka "Triple Nine Triple Zero"...and he is Cartoon Death Incarnate.    

You have been warned.  Most likely you will ignore and try anyway.  Some things must be experienced to be learned.   When he kills you...be polite.  Don't accuse him of being a hacker or having a Aimbot...you will simply be making a fool out of yourself.  If you manage to fly home in your (now shot to hell) cartoon plane thank him for having mercy on your foolish and unworthy self.   :aok

FYI - I wish someone had walked me through these years ago instead of having to learn them all the hard way.  And for those who have been on the other end when I've failed to follow some please forgive my foolish behavior and accept my  :salute.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:42:53 PM by Fulcrum »
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #305 on: December 02, 2013, 02:15:05 AM »
Having started this game in the D9 I'd honestly tell a new player to skip it and use a spit unless they are going to "lone wolf" for a while and actually care about landing kills.  D9 is hard for a new player to learn in my opinion.

All this being said...

*Warning: Some of the following constitute ACES HIGH HERSEY.  Stop reading now!!*

I think the first thing I'd recommend to any new player would be a list of rules rather than what ride to climb into.  They go something like this:  

1.) The (EW/MW/LW) MA is the (EW/MW/LW) MA and the DA is the DA.  Don't expect DA 1 on 1 dueling behavior in the MA and vice versa. They are used for different things and the generally accepted rules of one do not always apply when in the other.    Anyone who states otherwise should be ignored (see rule #8 below for further details).

2.) Never tune to ch200.  It's mindless fun for a while...but eventually it drains the soul and the brain. Best to remain happy, whole and intelligent.

3.) Never respond to a PM whine.  Ignore it or, if you must reply, do so politely and move on.  

4.) You will meet some individuals who act very poorly while playing this game.  Use these as an example of how NOT to act.  Also...reference rule #8 for further guidance.

5.) A HO shot is where both you AND your opponent have a gun solution with forward firing guns at the same time. Any other situation is NOT a HO shot. Also, while a HO is a valid tactic it's also stupid and considered poor form...you are best to avoid it.  

6.) Find a good squad who will teach you wingman and team-based tactics.  Use these tactics.   Sadly few of these squads exist anymore and those that do are sometimes ridiculed by a minority of players.  Again, ignore these individuals and see #8 below.

7.) Getting altitude, attacking from the sun with E, zooming up and repeating and all the things you read about that real (i.e. non-cartoon) fighter pilots use are valid tactics in the (EW/MW/LW) MA.  Rule #8 applies to any who state otherwise, complain or hurl insults at you when you use these tactics to end their cartoon existence.

8.) A vocal minority of Aces High players will do or say things that don't make a lot of sense.  If you use smart tactics like those listed in rule #7 above...they will say you are meek, cowardly or call you a "score wh0r3".  If you manage to be the one to kill them when they foolishly dive into a fight significantly outnumbered they may insult you, blame you for their poor tactics, and may even call you are a "horde monkey" or some similar label.  Be polite and remember they pay $14.95 per month and so may play the game as they wish.  Remember that you also pay $14.95 per month and so allowed to play the game as YOU wish...not as THEY wish you to play it.

9.) Some of these individuals will ask that you meet them in the DA for a "duel".  While you should generally ignore players who are rude, some are actually quite skilled one on one.  Accept the challenge, meet them in the DA and film the duels.  You may well lose every match, but the experience gained is worth it.  

Always be polite during this time...you may find some of the ruder ones will mellow and you may make a friend.  For the ones who don't and continue to hurl insults at you...you can secretly smile knowing that your continuing to be nice is irritating them to no end.   :D

10.) Every once in a while you will see a lone set of B17s flying low near a fight.  You will immediately want to dive on this foolish pilot and crush him in your <fill-in-the-blank-fighter>.  Do not give in to this temptation, for that be 999000 aka "Triple Nine Triple Zero"...and he is Cartoon Death Incarnate.    

You have been warned.  Most likely you will ignore and try anyway.  Some things must be experienced to be learned.   When he kills you...be polite.  Don't accuse him of being a hacker or having a Aimbot...you will simply be making a fool out of yourself.  If you manage to fly home in your (now shot to hell) cartoon plane thank him for having mercy on your foolish and unworthy self.   :aok

FYI - I wish someone had walked me through these years ago instead of having to learn them all the hard way.  And for those who have been on the other end when I've failed to follow some please forgive my foolish behavior and accept my  :salute.

good read.  :)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2013, 03:02:55 AM »

All this being said...

+1 :salute
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #307 on: December 02, 2013, 03:29:07 AM »
:rofl

The P-38G would be closer to the P-40C though.  I did not mean they are in the top spot.  Mossie is probably pretty close to the middle, but I'd guess it ends up closer to the Spit XVI than the P-40C, it is definitely easier than the P-38G.

P-40 fans get the real bragging rights in my opinion.

Only made it to page 10 of this 21pg thread, so i have no idea what direction it went later on, but saw the above quote and wanted to comment.....

Just my thoughts.....I would rank the 38G higher in the list closer to the spit. I run across a 38G with a little stored E and instantly i know I have my hands full....She turns like a beast...(in all fairness tho....if ya see a 38G its usually flown by someone that could have real good shot at killing ya in the Wright Flyer with a sling shot  :D)

Agree with the P40 comment above( re: kudos and bragging rights)....been flying the P40 lately....just a blast....but really outclassed taking on multiple cons in LW

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:31:16 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #308 on: December 02, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »

All this being said...

So true.  Skuzzy should sticky this somewhere  :D
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2013, 06:23:11 AM »

Just because the D9 has a different crutch than the Niki or LA doesn't mean the crutch doesn't exist.  Remember, it's about how the pilot uses the plane and his ability to fight when that style of usage isn't in play.

Let's compare two Dora drivers.  Both have been flying the Dora pretty much exclusively for as long as I've been playing this game.  Both usually stay fast and above the fray.  Both have pretty good gunnery.  Seeing either land high single digit scalps isn't that rare of an occurrence.  The difference between these two Dora jocks is, when caught in a "non advantageous position", one of them might very well still kill you, but the other is going to flop like a fish and either die or auger.  One of those guys uses the Dora as a crutch ride and the other one doesn't.  One of those guys probably flies a lot of other planes well and the other one doesn't.  It's really that simple.

If anything I said above makes any sense to you, this is a silly question. 

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #310 on: December 02, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
I agree with Karnak.  The K4 has a superior top speed, superior acceleration, superior rate of climb,better rudder authority  and better altitude performance.  the K4 is the better plane by a large margin in a 1v1 situation.

I disagree

Having flown a 109k4 for a long time and general N1k2 experience.

while you are right about those specs, the N1k2 has better diving abilities, also has better flaps, and better ammo load out.
If you get equally matched up in 1 v 1 fight in the MA, the N1k2 will most likely win. The N1k2 out turns the k4 all day long. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I also am willing to bet that in a given 1 v 1 fight the N1k2 could stay in a consistent climb with a 109k and would kill you (aim permitting) by spraying 600-400 away in a climb.

While the K4 is generally a better MA fighter because it accelerates faster and potentially has a better chance of getting away from a hoard. A good N1k2 stick would beat it easily if it had more E and alt advantage. Not to mention, the K4 is very difficult to shoot, which puts it at a disadvantage, if it cannot make the snap shot kill on the reverse, the N1k2 will fly all over it.

Edit: Also if the K4 dives on the N1k2, It better be cutting speed to stay on the target or else you will over shoot everytime by the compression. This also puts k4 at slight disadvantage because with hard to shoot cannons, and compression, it gives the N1k2 ability to reverse, causing the k4 to slow down to try to make a kill, and ends up losing in the reverse rolling scissors against a n1k2.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:56:23 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #311 on: December 02, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »
Just because the D9 has a different crutch than the Niki or LA doesn't mean the crutch doesn't exist.  Remember, it's about how the pilot uses the plane and his ability to fight when that style of usage isn't in play.

Let's compare two Dora drivers.  Both have been flying the Dora pretty much exclusively for as long as I've been playing this game.  Both usually stay fast and above the fray.  Both have pretty good gunnery.  Seeing either land high single digit scalps isn't that rare of an occurrence.  The difference between these two Dora jocks is, when caught in a "non advantageous position", one of them might very well still kill you, but the other is going to flop like a fish and either die or auger.  One of those guys uses the Dora as a crutch ride and the other one doesn't.  One of those guys probably flies a lot of other planes well and the other one doesn't.  It's really that simple.

If anything I said above makes any sense to you, this is a silly question. 

Let's all play the guessing game...

I'm guessing pervert is the killer and Drediock is the auger...what do I win Bob?

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #312 on: December 02, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
Having done a few hundred duels in the last few months I'd say the climb rate/ acceleration isn't enough if they met co alt to make much difference....the K4 could make it so he doesn't lose....but the N1k would be scrapping at it's heels.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #313 on: December 02, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »
Let's all play the guessing game...

I'm guessing pervert is the killer and Drediock is the auger...what do I win Bob?

I was thinking either pervert or debrody as killer. The one who augers after fish flopping sounds like 70% of the MA.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #314 on: December 02, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »
I was thinking either pervert or debrody as killer. The one who augers after fish flopping sounds like 70% of the MA.

Hehehehe