Author Topic: Change maps more often,plz  (Read 2372 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Change maps more often,plz
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »
Wonder why the AH map team for the Scenarios doesn't make new MA maps.

Seems it should be faster for them since they spend so much time with the process. Even the AvA map makers. Otherwise for the neophyte just coming to the process, it reads like a nightmare in the terrain forum. Maybe HTC intended it that way with the extreme complexity and confusion of the map making application and process. Or if the application were simplified enough for the average person to build good maps, the amount of additional development would require charging real industry pricing for the application.

I think it is due to a lot more criteria to the MA maps than a scenario/AvA maps

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
I take plenty of fields with a select few and have never flown in a horde.

My point is that that map should have zero effect on the furballers who can't be bothered to take any fields because a furball can exist anywhere on any map.

Not really. Huge maps with a limited player base means the action is spread across to much area resulting in far fewer large furballs.

Back when we had 500 players on a big map it really didnt matter. Now? OK your on a huge map with 200 players on it. Or say even 300. Well 1/2 are going to be in GVs and 30% are going to be in the wind. So now you have 40 or 50 players actively flying on each side over a map with many dozens of bases to each chess piece spread over large areas. I'd often think the HQ was down when in fact it wasnt just because there were so few dots and Dars. Furballing is a spontaneous event that feeds on itself.

Fewer fliers spread over large areas = boredom = players logging off = fewer furballs.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »
you know the map is too big when there are more bases on it than players.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »
Agree. Last night was pretty dead.

Map problem as I see it is some maps are o for to short a time while others are on for too long a time.

Solution.
24 hour minimum
48 hour maximum

That way everyone gets a chance to play on their favorite maps and yet no map is up so long that people start to hate playing on it
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
No.  The fact you even threw it into the pot after the issues/complaints brought up by the OP in this thread demostrates your cluelessness in regards to Trinity and it's stagnation, uneveness, and multiple violations of the MA-map guidelines and standards held to all maps.

Yup.  :rolleyes:

And the only guy to of been able to produce a MA map in years for the community, HiTech/Pyro keep stealing recently to help skin new content.  How are we gonna get another new MA map from Greebo like this!?  :devil  :bolt:
wow another person that thinks he known all things regarding what people want and dont want :rolleyes:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
wow another person that thinks he known all things regarding what people want and dont want :rolleyes:

Aren't you doing the same when you just claimed in wishlist that more players want Trinity back than not?  

For all people that didnt like trinity there's more of us that do.

:P
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

Ummm... so, by your tone, you do?   :lol  :rofl
If you're mad now/before, wait until this:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,176625.0.html
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,209609.0.html

I know nothing, and those lists/guidelines are quite extensive and created by someone who clearly knew what they were talking about, but you getting mad at me repeating what HiTech Creations has mandated...
  :rofl :rofl  :lol :lol  :aok  :ahand

I'll repeat it 500 times, Trinity as we used to know and love it, was the biggest insult ala the guidelines and standards set by HTCs for map creators to adhere to for MA map submissions.  A bar set very high, and Trinity was well below it, yet somehow it made it to the contenders table.

It's this similar ignorance you and others have that keeps that selective memory strong enough to keep comming to this forum like a 2-yo wishing for his bottle back.  You're too old, it's broken, get back to bed and over it.

Sorry if you don't like my attitude, you and others on that Trinity bandwagon before and after its removal are just ignorant of your insult to the hard working and dedicated map creators who strive to have their creations meet those guidelines and make it into the map rotation.  Go read up on it, think about it, and then stop asking for a piece of turd into the MA-map-rotation-sandwitch.

There were some things I liked about Trinity too, but those things I liked were bugged or not evenly represented across all three front lines (only two countries would get lucky, the third was SOL), per the guidelines.  There was a lot I didn't like about Trinity too, but those (surprise) too were terrain bugs, unevenly distributed resources, or features that were a deterant to promoting action across the fronts - all deliberatley spelled out and to be avoided in the MA map guidelines.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:14:53 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
Ummm... so, by your tone, you do?   :lol  :rofl
If you're mad now/before, wait until this:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,176625.0.html
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,209609.0.html

I know nothing, and those lists/guidelines are quite extensive and created by someone who clearly knew what they were talking about, but you getting mad at me repeating what HiTech Creations has mandated...
  :rofl :rofl  :lol :lol  :aok  :ahand

I'll repeat it 500 times, Trinity as we used to know and love it, was the biggest insult ala the guidelines and standards set by HTCs for map creators to adhere to for MA map submissions.  A bar set very high, and Trinity was well below it, yet somehow it made it to the contenders table.

It's this similar ignorance you and others have that keeps that selective memory strong enough to keep comming to this forum like a 2-yo wishing for his bottle back.  You're too old, it's broken, get back to bed and over it.

Sorry if you don't like my attitude, you and others on that Trinity bandwagon before and after its removal are just ignorant of your insult to the hard working and dedicated map creators who strive to have their creations meet those guidelines and make it into the map rotation.  Go read up on it, think about it, and then stop asking for a piece of turd into the MA-map-rotation-sandwitch.

There were some things I liked about Trinity too, but those things I liked were bugged or not evenly represented across all three front lines (only two countries would get lucky, the third was SOL), per the guidelines.  There was a lot I didn't like about Trinity too, but those (surprise) too were terrain bugs, unevenly distributed resources, or features that were a deterant to promoting action across the fronts - all deliberatley spelled out and to be avoided in the MA map guidelines.
Well for all the "bugs" it might have bring it back till you make a new one.
to me it didnt matter what side you were on always found a good fights
as long as it timed out aft a week.

Offline Bender

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
ghi. . .whining . . .about not not being able to kill a town?  :lol

Oh this can't be real life. Why don't you assemble your ridiculous P38 horde more often, without making the next target so predictable. 20% is better than Midwar war winning percentage, 33% would just make it insane but anything lower than 20 would make it waaay too easy for the bish.

:noid

**EDIT** : repeated something twice lol

Try an edit so that it might make sense.  What the heck do those numbers even mean?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
What the heck do those numbers even mean?

The numbers are the percentage of bases required to win the war.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2013, 10:53:33 AM »
Wonder why the AH map team for the Scenarios doesn't make new MA maps.

Making any map has a certain amount of creative stuff and repetitive boring stuff to do. Both types of map let you set up the coastlines, elevations and field placements which is interesting while you are working it out but a bit tedious to actually do. With an AvA or special events map the creator can also play around with lots of interesting stuff like changing terrain textures, adding objects or new field layouts and altering clutter and end up with something that looks completely different to anyone else's work.

However the creative side is very limited on an MA map, you can alter a few textures if they aren't too big  but that's about it. Also there is way more boring repetitive stuff to do on an MA map. There up to 255 fields and towns to place by hand, plus the strat cities. Then there are hundreds of spawn points to position. Then there are roads to route for every field, unless you like them running straight up cliffs etc. Once you are done you spend ages bug testing it and end up with a terrain that doesn't look or play a lot different to any other MA terrain. So basically making an MA terrain involves way more grind and a lot less artistic payoff at the end.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »
So basically making an MA terrain involves way more grind and a lot less artistic payoff at the end.
But that's what video game programmers are PAID to do. Oh, wait...
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
Making any map has a certain amount of creative stuff and repetitive boring stuff to do. Both types of map let you set up the coastlines, elevations and field placements which is interesting while you are working it out but a bit tedious to actually do. With an AvA or special events map the creator can also play around with lots of interesting stuff like changing terrain textures, adding objects or new field layouts and altering clutter and end up with something that looks completely different to anyone else's work.

However the creative side is very limited on an MA map, you can alter a few textures if they aren't too big  but that's about it. Also there is way more boring repetitive stuff to do on an MA map. There up to 255 fields and towns to place by hand, plus the strat cities. Then there are hundreds of spawn points to position. Then there are roads to route for every field, unless you like them running straight up cliffs etc. Once you are done you spend ages bug testing it and end up with a terrain that doesn't look or play a lot different to any other MA terrain. So basically making an MA terrain involves way more grind and a lot less artistic payoff at the end.

If a couple MA map submission requirements were changed/removed, could more fun/enjoyment be had creating maps?  The requirements that make it so bland were ceated about a decade ago do seem a bit archaic today.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »
The problem is that all the interesting and creative stuff can add enormously to the terrain's size, which is something HTC likes to avoid for MA terrains. Also custom objects and fields can create bugs in a terrain that could cause a player's FE or the host itself to crash. HTC absolutely can't afford to have the MA crash so they are very conservative about what can be put into MA maps.

If HTC were to create and bug test some new stuff that could be put into MA terrains (new types of fields, strats, bridges etc.) that might spark some interest from map builders.

RPM, most AH maps are player-created on an unpaid voluntary basis.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:17:37 PM by Greebo »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
Just out of curiosity Greebo, how many hours did you invest, start to finish? Perhaps HTC would be willing to reward x number of months free play for a map. Seems fair to me.