Author Topic: The Peace Maker  (Read 4197 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
The Peace Maker
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »
 :airplane: One of the aircraft which did not see service in WW2, but had an affect on designs of other aircraft during the war was the B-36 "Peace Maker". Designed by engineers in California, then production, because of larger production facility, was moved to Forth Worth, Tex. This move alone caused an addition 20 months before the aircraft was ready for service. This was the first aircraft which used titanium metal extensively though out the various sections of the aircraft.
The titanium "overcast" as it was sometimes called begin design life in 1942, as some people in Washington thought England was going to fall to the Germans and the U.S. needed a long range bomber, capable of carrying up to 10,000 lbs of bombs from Bases as much as 4,000 miles away. This beast had a 10,000 mile ferry distance and normal crew of 16. The crew had sleep bunkers, elect stove in rear compartment as well as a re fridgetor. It had wings which were 7 foot, 4 inches thick at the wing root and a crawway for mechanics to climb out and service engines 2,3,4 and 5.
It had a total of 10 engines, 6 P&W R-4360 radial engines and 4, J-47 General Electric jet engines. The jet engines were used on takeoffs and high altitude flight. The R-4360 was the largest internal combustion engines ever built for aircraft and had 28 cylinders each, arranged in a 7 cylinder around and 4 banks deep. The aircraft had many development problems, one of which was engine cooling for the rear bank of cylinders and during testing, a number of engine fires plagued the aircraft.
The normal cruise speed was 236MPH and the service ceiling published was 41,000 feet, but later RB models which had no guns and a crew of only 8, was rumored to fly as high as 60,000 feet.
One of the "odd" equipment features of the aircraft was a 66 foot long tunnel, which connected the forward and rear compartments together and was pressurized. The crew men would lay on their back on a "mechanics crawler" and pulled themselves with an over head cable system.
The aircraft never saw actual combat, but was on "station" for several years along the USSR borders as RB aircraft during the cold war years and has been credited with be a thorn in the sides of the USSR air defense command.

Guys, many thanks to "Ink" for getting me correct on posting pic's from photo bucket, at least I posted you a pic of this beautiful aircraft!

  

One of Jimmie Stewarts great movies featured this B-36 and was call Strategic Air Command, which also starred June Allison and Frank Lovejoy! If you get a chance to see it, it is well worth your time.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:30:28 PM by earl1937 »
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: The Peace Maker
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »
cool info ...but no pic :aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 03:32:24 PM »
cool info ...but no pic

There are some here:

http://www.spyflight.co.uk/rb36.htm

B-36 has always been one of my favorites.  Watch Jimmy Stewart's "Strategic Air Command" film to see them fly.  IMHO the 36 was the ultimate expression of American air power.  Whenever people start to talk about "what if" scenarios involving Nazi wonder weapons, I like to add in the 36 as the American "what if."  ESPECIALLY with the F-85 loadout:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_PmFbgtCwY

- oldman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
One of the "odd" equipment features of the aircraft was a 66 foot long tunnel, which connected the forward and rear compartments together and was pressurized. The crew men whould lay on their back on a "mechinics crawler" and pulled themselves with an over head cable system.

Didn't the B-29 use the same system?

Sorry Guys was going to include some pic's, but I am doing something wrong I guess!

As for the images not showing up, it looks like you got the formatting and URL wrong.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »
Didn't the B-29 use the same system?

As for the images not showing up, it looks like you got the formatting and URL wrong.

ack-ack

:airplane: The B-29C had a "crawl over" tunnel over the bomb bays and it, to was pressurized! I think the pic's I was trying to use was to big a file! I use photo bucket, but not sure what happened this time.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:43:42 PM by earl1937 »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
What is the green grey aircraft just past the B36 with the huge belly tank or Radom and semi gull wing?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
You can see a Peacemaker at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio.  The USAF Museum is amazing.  To give you some idea, the Peacemaker is inside a hangar but takes up only about 1/4 of the space; and the museum has four more hangar areas that big plus outdoor exhibits.

Virtual tour here:

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-std.html

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
What is the green grey aircraft just past the B36 with the huge belly tank or Radom and semi gull wing?

Looks like some weird version of a T-28.

- oldman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:45:50 PM »

Royal Navy Fairy Gannet.  About as ugly an airplane as there ever has been :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »
Always found the gobblin interesting as it had so many little flight control surfaces :rofl
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 07:56:26 AM »
:airplane: I think Guppy is correct and I also see 3 Boeing 707's, or KC-135's, a Boeing B-47, (I would guess the most beautiful jet bomber ever made), a Doulas AE-1 and I am not sure where this pic was taken. Maybe a military air show in the late 50's or early 60's. Just a guess, by the type of aircraft you can see in this pic.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:07:55 AM by earl1937 »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
I believe the picture is from the Pima Air Museum. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 08:15:24 AM »
You can see a Peacemaker at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio.  The USAF Museum is amazing.  To give you some idea, the Peacemaker is inside a hangar but takes up only about 1/4 of the space; and the museum has four more hangar areas that big plus outdoor exhibits.

Virtual tour here:

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/full/tour-std.html
:airplane: Excellent, outstanding video! BTW, triva for you: Over the B-66 hangs a small single engine aircraft in USAF markings! What is it?

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
I saw that B36 in the USAF museum some years ago. I walked through a door and it took a moment for my eyes to adjust. In front of me was this wall that looked silver. I turned left to go down what I perceived as "corridor" and happened to look up. I noticed hanging on the wall was a big propeller. I then noticed the prop wasn't hanging on the wall but connected to some metal that turned into a wing. It took a minute before I could realize that it was a whole aeroplane sitting there. Huge. For me it made seeing the B52 anticlimatic.
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »

This might be a different view.

What is the a/c behind the Gannet.