Author Topic: Luv the dodo's  (Read 905 times)

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Luv the dodo's
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:12:10 PM »
If a new player is asking questions, be helpfully helpful.  :old:

Wait till they are at least paying a sub before you troll them......  :neener:

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Luv the dodo's
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Well said.   My very first post I took a hard hit by a ranking member. Really darkened my AH sky a bit. 
 :O
Now, of course, I want take any crap from him.   :)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
If a new player is asking questions, be helpfully helpful.  :old:

Wait till they are at least paying a sub before you troll them......  :neener:

So I'm not the only one to observe this lately?  Whew... everyone knows they're born crazy, but you'll be the last to know if you've gone off the deep end.

I think we've had a couple more dicks running around than usual lately, trolling would at least be somewhat entertaining or funny.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 04:49:56 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
So I'm not the only one to observe this lately? 

No, you are not.

I don't know what's actually worse, morons giving dumb answers to new player's questions because they are 'trolling' or because they are really dumb.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »

No, you are not.

I don't know what's actually worse, morons giving dumb answers to new player's questions because they are 'trolling' or because they are really dumb.

I've seen this more often as well.  THIS is the kind of thing Mod's should be looking for and enforce with a heavy hand.  Answers of "Alt F4" "Enter 3x" and all intentional trolling of new players should be met with a severe (30 day) text ban.

I would think it would be in HTC's best interest to enforce this and not allow new players to be driven from the game by people who are mostly in game just to troll 200.

On the other hand, there are people here who are willing to help.  I killed a guy in a tank the other night and could tell he may not know what he was doing.  I checked his scores, and he appeared to be new, so I PM'd him and found out he was a two-weeker.  I answered some questions for him, most pressing of which was "How did you find me?"  (he left his engine running), spent a little time chatting with him and suggested he get with a trainer when he gets a chance.  Don't know if it will help him stay in game, but I'd rather take just a little time to keep someone around than just have gone on seal-clubbing him.  I know there are others who do help newbies as well.  Much better if they get to them before the trolls do.

<S>
Ryno  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 05:44:43 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
Fell for the alt f4 thing when i was new  :rofl Honestly thought it was funny had a good laugh about it with the guy that told me that. Then he answered my question

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »
I've seen this more often as well.  THIS is the kind of thing Mod's should be looking for and enforce with a heavy hand.  Answers of "Alt F4" "Enter 3x" and all intentional trolling of new players should be met with a severe (30 day) text ban.

I would think it would be in HTC's best interest to enforce this and not allow new players to be driven from the game by people who are mostly in game just to troll 200.

On the other hand, there are people here who are willing to help.  I killed a guy in a tank the other night and could tell he may not know what he was doing.  I checked his scores, and he appeared to be new, so I PM'd him and found out he was a two-weeker.  I answered some questions for him, most pressing of which was "How did you find me?"  (he left his engine running), spent a little time chatting with him and suggested he get with a trainer when he gets a chance.  Don't know if it will help him stay in game, but I'd rather take just a little time to keep someone around than just have gone on seal-clubbing him.  I know there are others who do help newbies as well.  Much better if they get to them before the trolls do.

<S>
Ryno 

The example of Alt+F4 might be a fine line some walk.  The only negative is all the acused will write Skuzzy and he'll then have to sort it out - was it in jest or harm?... 

How do you guage the degrees between an Alt-F4 joke, lureing the noob over your field in a Val, or advising them to uninstall this game and try a different game?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
I have found it sometimes works just as well to go to the TA and go over basics for an hour.

That way you can shoot at one another to demonstrate things without actually taking damage.

I think it's high time I find a trainer  :rofl
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »
By the way...

"GO TA!" is just another dumb answer if you aren't willing to go with him. Most of the day there simply is just nobody in there, so telling someone to 'go TA' on a simple question is basically the same as "get lost!".  :rolleyes:
At least explain to him where to find the AHTC homepage and how to get in contact with a trainer.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
I try and do to noobs what some players did to me long ago.
I tend to forget the help and traing page tho.  :aok
As that has a ton of helpful material that has gotten me where I am today
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 06:48:59 PM »
I've seen a lot of guys step up and help new guys. I've done it myself several times when its easy questions to help with. I've also seen the retarded answers and the poor guy is left with who should he trust. So honestly if some one is asking a legit question I wish people would just try to help the guy and if you don't want to then stay silent.  :salute

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »
Otherday a guy asked what's a furball?

Alot of folks responded with go ask your mom
alt-f4 for help(which doesn't even work anymore) and stupid crap like that.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »
Good answers and suggestions here. I've noticed it more lately too, but maybe I just didn't notice it before.

I remember when I was brand new on this 2nd go around (although I have almost no memory of my first AH stint,) one guy to remain nameless telling me to stfu and learn some skills and even more of the like. Where was I supposed to learn those skills? I've got fairly thick skin, but I had older bros beat the crap out of me so...

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think 200 is tuned to by default, if that's correct it should remain so forever and ppl prolly shouldn't even mention 200 noobs. Is help ch. tuned to by default?

Noobs should be welcomed, we were all one of them at one point.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
"You can be anything you want on the internet, it's amazing so many people choose to be stupid."  :old:

That being said, when ever anyone asks me a question I give them an honest answer. If I don't know, I tell them I don't know and point them to someone who would know. The exception to this being the people that I know very well, in which case I love to troll them as much as possible.  :devil

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 10:13:57 PM »
Too bad most of them don't read the forums so this is just wasted internet space.  ;) A nice arena message might go a long way. "We are seeing increased numbers of new players, so try your best to help them and welcome them into the game." or something like that.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp