Author Topic: `Cauldron of Fire` The Sixth Army surrounded at Stalingrad  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
`Cauldron of Fire` The Sixth Army surrounded at Stalingrad
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2002, 10:49:00 PM »
S!

Ah the lament of the designer working with a limited plane set...   ;)

Ok here is my reasons for including what I did:

La-5 came into service first at Stalingrad during this period.  The later and improved La-5FN did not arrive until the summer of '43.  The 190A5 also did not come into service until 1943 although its performance was very similar to the late A4 which was present at Stalingrad.  For the purposes of this scenario, I am allowing both planes, with the La-5FN  being restricted somewhat in its usage.

The G2 first arrived in the late summer of '42, however it was not deployed to the Eastern Front as the Germans felt they had sufficiently strong aircraft in the F4.  Most of the G2's went to France or Sicily to face the better British and American planes.  The G2 began to arrive in Russia in the late fall and winter.

The Yak 9T also is not historically accurate for this period, however it is pretty close in performance to the Yak 1B so I am using it as a substitute.

Since the plane set which is covered here is intended to be for the period November 24th 1942 (the day the encirclement of the Sixth Army was complete) to December 31st, I think it is reasonably close.  

The second game week covers the period January 1st 1943 to February 15th.  (historically the 6th Army surrendered on February 2nd)  It will include the G6 and MC205 in limited numbers and the B-26.

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2002, 11:48:00 PM »
I understand the map designer made hi-alt bombing almost impossable... that dog!!

Offline LJK_KämpferAs

• Copper Member
      • http://www.demonz.co.nz
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2002, 01:25:00 AM »
GOOD CHIT!

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2002, 03:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by O'Westy:
hee heee heeee! This is gonna be fun    :)  I'll have to squeeze more time online, hook or by crook.

No need to study the picture but here's a view of me you'll see often     ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

I knew it! Another HOer IB! Must be some kind of Hispano-related disease...    :D

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2002, 07:55:00 AM »
lol Pepe. I stopped using the HO with the Yak-9 a while ago. Unless outnumbered!  The kills I got with a well placed facefull of 37mm "Yak Love" felt like I was taking advantage of a gamebug.  ;)

Westy

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2002, 11:01:00 AM »
Er,, I thought you designed the map, 10Bears... or.. am I missing something here?

:confused:

:)

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2002, 12:14:00 PM »
Holy Russian bears! no B26? Vodka....I need a drink fast..........  :eek:
Joc

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2002, 01:26:00 AM »
The 205 did not see service in Russia, to the best of my knowledge.

Also why give the Russians an armored car? If memorie servies they were queit rare in russian service, same goes with the m16, i dont recal theam using these at all, a better substitute would be an osty for the SU 37.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2002, 01:40:00 AM »
S! Brady

I am not sure about the MC205.  It may have seen some test service, although it wasn't issued on a Squadron basis.  Which is why I plan on restricting the use.  Besides it would be nice to see a situation where it is one of the 'uber' planes...    ;)

The Soviets had a lot of light tanks which to all intents and purposes had the same usability as the M8.  Which is why I'm giving the Soviets it.

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2002, 07:54:00 AM »
OK!  IT'S SATURDAY!  WHERE'S THE STUFF?!

hehe...i've been waiting for this...couldn't sleep last night due to the antici....pation.    :D

The Tuckster

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Col. Chuck Yeager, USAAF

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2002, 10:35:00 AM »
Buzzbait, After I posted that I was thinking you may of added the M8 for that very reasion :)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2002, 11:11:00 AM »
The CSIR ( Corpo di Spedizione in Russia,Expeditionary Corps in Russia) had as it's fighter element initaly 51 C. 200's distributed amongst the 359a,362a,369a,& 371a.
 As time progressed and combat condations took thier tool various units were shiped out and replaced, I could list all the units but the only signafigant point remaning is: In september 1942, 12 C 202's were flow into Stalino, followed by 2 photo recon varients. they operatded untill 17 January when they flew their last sortie operationaly and 5 days latter were pulled out of Russia and back to Italy.
 No MC 205's operated IN Russia, and only a few 202's.

Howeaver this is a gane and I can't wait to fly in the CT this tour looks to be very fun indead and I <S> your work to this end :)

Sources for this:

Italian Aces of WW2
by Giovanni Massimello and Giorgio Apostolo

Macchi MC 205 by Maurizio Di Terlizzi