Author Topic: $1.08/Hour and Rising  (Read 9237 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: $1.08/Hour and Rising
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 07:02:54 AM »
statistics don't lie.

Ever heard the saying lie->mother of all lies->statistic?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »
statistics don't lie.

tsk tsk tsk.... silly goof, be very careful with that statement.  Most of us know that people can make any set of statistics say anything they want.   :aok 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »
tsk tsk tsk.... silly goof, be very careful with that statement.  Most of us know that people can make any set of statistics say anything they want.   :aok 

Statistics don't lie.  The term statistic implies the math and measurement target have been properly vetted prior to the numerical variables being totaled.

You are confusing "the numbers don't lie" with statistics don't lie.

I have sales reps that say the same thing when they have poor months..."I had a better month than my stats say"....no you didn't.  You had exactly the month that your stats say.

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »
That's how much I've paid on average over the past six months to play AH.  Back when it was $0.50/day it seemed like a good deal.  Now not so much.

I admit I don't have as much time to play as I used to but now even when I do I don't.  Revisions to the game over the past several years have led to less things to do to within the game and despite the additions of new planes and vehicles it doesn't make up for the lack of gameplay options.

I fear my time is nearing the end although I'll likely stick around to play in BoB, the one event I've always wanted to play in but was never able.

I'm really torn over this.  I really never thought this day would come after 17 years in these games.  Anyway it's not here quite yet.  I hope to see you all for one last hurrah at BoB and who knows, I might still change my mind but the thoughts of leaving are becoming ever more frequent.

I don't expect anyone to beg me to stay, to say take a break or see you in two weeks.  I'm really just thinking out loud and I do want HT to know that decisions over the past several years are driving long time die hards like me from the game.  At the same time I suspect they really don't need my $14.95/mo. and could care less.

I hope I stay but at this point I'm not so sure that will happen.  Lots to think about between now and the end of September.

$15.00/month cost. playing time = 40 hours/month  =$15.00/40 hours = 32.75 cents/hour.

Fun factor scale from 1to10
Flying a real P-51 = 10
Riding the 'Top Thrill Dragster' at Cedar point amusement park = 7
Playing a round of golf = 5
Cutting my grass = -2
Shoveling 2 feet of snow off my 150 ft driveway = -4

Playing Aces high = 6

Flying real P-51 = $2000/hour @ fun factor of 10 = $200/fun point
Top Thrill Dragster $54.00/day @ 5 rides/day @ 17 sec/ride   = $317.00/hour @ 7 fun factor = $9.00/fun point
Aces High 32 cents/6 fun factor = 5.3 cents/fun point.

Aces high wins.  :D

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:26:18 AM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 08:37:58 AM »
Statistics don't lie.  The term statistic implies the math and measurement target have been properly vetted prior to the numerical variables being totaled.

You are confusing "the numbers don't lie" with statistics don't lie.

I have sales reps that say the same thing when they have poor months..."I had a better month than my stats say"....no you didn't.  You had exactly the month that your stats say.

:aok egggg...zakly!

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »

$15.00/month cost. playing time = 40 hours/month  =$15.00/40 hours = 32.75 cents/hour.

Fun factor scale from 1to10
Flying a real P-51 = 10
Riding the 'Top Thrill Dragster' at Cedar point amusement park = 7
Playing a round of golf = 5
Cutting my grass = -2
Shoveling 2 feet of snow off my 150 ft driveway = -4

Playing Aces high = 6

Flying real P-51 = $2000/hour @ fun factor of 10 = $200/fun point
Top Thrill Dragster $54.00/day @ 5 rides/day @ 17 sec/ride   = $317.00/hour @ 7 fun factor = $9.00/fun point
Aces High 32 cents/6 fun factor = 5.3 cents/fun point.

Aces high wins.  :D

:lol Vink you must have a lot of time on your hands. but those are cool analogies, I like 'em.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »
It beats the $300-$350 per month that some of us addicts forked over when we started playing it on AOL.   :lol

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 09:04:20 AM »
Haha, D25 is doing better than the K4 :)
Perk!

The 56th FG is the reason for that  :cool:

Anyway, about the revisions in the game over the past couple of years. I like the changes for the most part, except I think HTC shot themselves in the foot when they did away with the old strat system, supply trains, and GV spawns to the various factories. Why is HTC so dead set on not bringing these things back?
Lets face it, most everyone wants a respectable score or rank. The old system allowed for a player to fly or drive to a site and blow it up for points with a minimum amount of risk. The rewards were worth the effort. Now a player spends 10 or 15 minutes to GV to a town just to have lazer ack take their turret out as soon as they get there. Why even bother right?
The last time I tried to milk a factory I spend an hour flying to the site just to have a 163 shoot me down just as the factory was in sight. Why bother?
I say HTC should bring back the old strat system if for no other reason then see if this is why the player base is dwindling.
Another problem I see are these huge maps. Big maps do nothing but overwhelm the players wondering where the fight is. Three bases for every player logged on to too much. it's like you can't find the forest for the trees at times. During peak hours when the max amount of players is on it's not so bad. But the off hours have become boring beyond belief. There's no way to take a base by yourself anymore and sometimes it's impossible to get enough players together to do anything. And if you're new to the game forget about it. No one is going to do what you want anyway.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:39:00 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:29 AM »
statistics don't lie.

no but they can be miss leading and miss interpreted
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
:lol Vink you must have a lot of time on your hands. but those are cool analogies, I like 'em.

:lol   :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
Another problem I see are these huge maps. Big maps do nothing but overwhelm the players wondering where the fight is. Three bases for every player logged on to too much. it's like you can't find the forest for the trees at times. During peak hours when the max amount of players is on it's not so bad. But the off hours have become boring beyond belief. There's no way to take a base by yourself anymore and sometimes it's impossible to get enough players together to do anything. And if you're new to the game forget about it. No one is going to do what you want anyway.

But I *like* large maps, so YMMV, right?  BTW, to find fights, just fly to the dar bars, or spawn near a base and make it blink.  But you know this already, right?

MH
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:16:40 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »
But I *like* large maps, so YMMV, right?  BTW, to find fights, just fly to the dar bars, go spawn near a base and make it blink.  But you know this already, right?

Sounds like an advice from a prime time player ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
But I *like* large maps, so YMMV, right?  BTW, to find fights, just fly to the dar bars, or spawn near a base and make it blink.  But you know this already, right?

MH
My experience doing what you suggest during off peak hours is as follows: the con will fly around in the base ack waiting for a proxie. And besides, vulching and picking isn't that rewarding after a while anyway.

If I GV to the base the enemy simply drops a bomb on me. Both examples just seems like a waste of time and effort for nothing. Also, I'm not saying that the large maps are solely responsible for the player decline we're seeing, but I think it certainly contributes to the problem....especially during off peak hours.
I can load up on ord and jabo things all night long but I'm not really accomplishing anything. And that's where the boredom comes in.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:42:03 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
no but they can be miss leading and miss interpreted

Only when someone is ignorant about the use of statistics or how they are interpreted.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba