Author Topic: 8.8cm gun shelling of Vbase  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Lizard

• Zinc Member
8.8cm gun shelling of Vbase
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »
While I'm at it, I was wondering if this was a bug or a feature. On the Ozkansas map from V base 88 you can shell V base 103, and I'm sure it works for others, using the 88's. This is not in and of itself the "bug". When you consider that the person doing the shelling uses the AA shells and not AP and the shells need not explode over the V base, just pass over it to do damage. I've seen 103 in particular reduced to a smoking wreck within 30 a few minutes time by two energetic people on the 88's. You can see when sitting off to the side of the base that the shells pass harmlessly over the top and sometimes the puff pops 1 or 2 k beyond the base if the gunners don't have the range maxed out. Irregardless, the base is trashed by whistling shells overhead and strat and hangers are killed against Sir Winston Churchill's promises otherwise by fear itself.

Lizard3
Lizard3

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Re: 8.8cm gun shelling of Vbase
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
 :noid
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »
Check this topic out and watch the films there.......it is exactly what you are talking about.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,351385.0.html

Below is a film I made immediately after seeing ack flying a few thousand feet over field guns and them exploding as it passes over where I give the guy a bit of grief.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:08:26 AM »
Lizard, for eight hours yesterday it was I in the M4 at 88 killing 103 repeatedly. I did the same from 103 to 88 today, until we captured it. It takes 9:05 to kill all hangars (FTH also) and 12:47 (personal best) to kill all guns, hangars, fuel tanks, ammo bunkers, and barracks on the field. That leaves two minutes for the m3 to make it in, but that only works when there are NO vehicles out already.

EDIT: First person perspective posted here.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:29:45 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
What you are showing in your film is a not at all related to the original post.

Sure, I grouped together the 88mm bug along with the M4 shooting up a base he could not see into the same post I linked to but they are two unrelated issues.

The reason I grouped both in the same post is that it's the same person performing the miraculous feat.

Here are 3 pictures I took from a film of the exact same moment from 3 different views.

Picture 1 is facing the field that is shelling mine and blowing up ack as the rounds pass way over the base.

You have to look very hard to see the two tracers.....one just left of center of the blue sky and another below it near the horizon.

Picture 2 is facing where the rounds are eventually exploding after passing high over the base meaning the enemy base doing the shelling is firing over your shoulder from behind you.

It's just as difficult to see the tracer dots but you can make out 3 tracer dots and the explosion of the puffy ack below them but just above the horizon.

This shows them after they have passed over the field and his distance setting seems to be about the maximum.

Picture 3 is taken from a player's perspective in an airplane and you can clearly see the tracer dots traveling over the base.

This is not the same as somebody accurately shelling the base from a M4 or other GV.

You can clearly see a hill between the fields in the picture facing the field doing the firing.

I switched sides to knight, upped into the 88mm and was able to duplicate this by setting the distance to 12k (maximum) and firing way over the base I was at when I took the pics.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:23:38 AM by icepac »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
icepac, when you reproduced it, you were killing guns by firing beyond the base? or were your shells landing on the base?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
I was firing way over the base in AA mode with 12k setting just high enough to see the black dot over the horizon.

In that picture from the plane, it looks like the distance setting is at least 1.5 the distance from base to base in but you can't see the black puffy from the exploding shell on the far right from that altitude.

Offline Lizard

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »
I know the difference between shells impacting earth and flying over. I know the sound of the rockets impacting the base. What I'm talking about is 8.8cm anti-air shells passing over a base to explode in the great beyond yet things at the base blowing up with no other sound of impact. No explosion, nothing other than the poof or pop the fuel, barracks, hanger or gun makes when it gives up the magic smoke and dies.
Lizard3

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Lizard, what you probably do not know is that what you see as an observer quite frequently is not the same thing that the shooter sees.

When I shoot hangars, and gun positions, I quite frequently get untrained forward observers telling me that my shots are going long. Usually that is followed very quickly by the hangar blowing up. This can happen even if you are right on top of the action, but it seems the further removed you are from the event the worse the representation is.

The effect is very similar (though not the same) as attacking bombers. When a bomber turns and you are 2k (or more) distant you see the bombers spread out. Sometimes it seem ridiculous how wide a spread the bombers take, but as you get closer to the lead the drones quickly move into a more proper position.

When it comes to tracers, or firing patterns in general, that same adjustment of position never happens.

You also get reports that enemies can shoot through hills. I can assure you that what you see as an incoming tracer is not accurate. If you have ever died to a tracer that has not hit you yet, then you understand. This is even more obvious when you are shooting from a lower elevation at someone hiding on a hill, or mountain, that is also behind a berm. You will see your round going very high and dropping in to kill the enemy tank. The enemy tank will see the round fly flat toward him and pass through the hill to kill him. I get the 'C' and 'H' accusation from that one more times than I care to count.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:17:33 AM »
Another film........surprise!!!......it's the same person in all of them.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 03:49:27 AM »
Your film appears to be malfunctioning.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
It is malfunctioning.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:58:53 AM by icepac »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 09:04:07 AM »
This film seems to work fine as long as you don't hit F5.

Hit F3 to get external view and rotate the view until you can see the black puffs just above the horizon behind the field.

You will see the 88mm AA exploding at least a half mile after it is passing over the field yet it is somehow blowing up acks and landing damage to any field objects it passes over.....without hitting it or even exploding within a half mile of the object.

So what we have is the same person exploiting a glitch in the 88mm ack because he is able to blow up field objects without landing anywhere near them.

I see it every time we have two V fields very close together with the field doing the firing being knight and has been going on for over a month.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:20:25 AM by icepac »

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »
I have sat there and shelled v bases with the 88 from the adjacent vbase. Originally I did this to irritate the concrete lubbers, but then I noticed I got some ack too. I don't do this on a regular basis, however I'm sure one could get good at it - just like everything else in the game, the gentleman you keep accusing has better things to do than cheat. He's trying to take all your ack (etc) down so we can take the base. Not any different than an M4 out of flashing range killing the same targets.  I'm sure the issue you're speaking about is as old as the map. He said he made a wager with you, but you did not answer.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
He's not cheating.......he is gaming a glitch in the game.

If you watch the film, none of the shells is landing within 1/2 mile of things yet they blow up.

That is far different from what Chalenge demonstrated by shelling with accuracy.