Author Topic: Tomorrow 15th August  (Read 534 times)

Offline No9Squadron

• Zinc Member
Tomorrow 15th August
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:30:16 AM »
On this day 69 years ago, the Tuskagee 332nd "Redtails" shot down 3 x 262, 3 probables and 2 damaged and a further 6 piston engined aircraft. It was a raid on Berlin.

The 51st fighter group was assigned to the bombers, who instead requested the 332nd.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: Tomorrow 15th August
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:15 AM »
Um, or perhaps it's the anniversary of VJ Day.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:18 AM »
Ok.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:26:38 AM »
    :salute

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »
Um, or perhaps it's the anniversary of VJ Day.
Racist!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:05 AM »
On this day 69 years ago, the Tuskagee 332nd "Redtails" shot down 3 x 262, 3 probables and 2 damaged and a further 6 piston engined aircraft. It was a raid on Berlin.

The 51st fighter group was assigned to the bombers, who instead requested the 332nd.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »

Throw in cheesy Italian love scenes and you could make a mediocre movie about them kneegrows.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
 :salute They'll being featured on this weeks episode of Air Aces on the Military Channel.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
Dragon, I shall not quote your post in this reply.  Unacceptable, ugly and not funny.  These officers risked, and some lost their lives at a time that racism was rampant.  They are a part of the reason that you are a free man.  If you can't show them some respect then at least keep your mouth shut.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »
Dragon, I shall not quote your post in this reply.  Unacceptable, ugly and not funny.  These officers risked, and some lost their lives at a time that racism was rampant.  They are a part of the reason that you are a free man.  If you can't show them some respect then at least keep your mouth shut.

Uh, Zoney, I think he was making a snide comment about the Red Tails movie, not the men themselves.

So, yeah, chilll out, dude.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
Uh, Zoney, I think he was making a snide comment about the Red Tails movie, not the men themselves.

So, yeah, chilll out, dude.

This.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline No9Squadron

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »
You could make an interesting war movie about racism in WW2, using VJ and the Redtails, all events on one day.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »

I too will ask you to relax a bit and stop with the knee jerkin' responses.  Also, what society views an "racism" today may have not been back then.  Separation of the races and social classes was accepted by most people involved.

My grandmother graduated college in May of 1943, she had to wear white gloves her entire Sr year in preparation of her being considered "upper class" and it was suggested to her to never be out of sight of her spouse or her own father, and to not frequent public places with those who were uneducated.  She was expected to wear a skirt, wear those white gloves, and to associate with the educated.  That is the way it was, nothing evil about it.   

Learn to separate historical and factual events from your present day views on things and you will be able to see things in a much different manner and more so you'll be very hesitant to grasp on to the populist views which have become so very abundant.  What you and other believe was rabid "racism" was very possibly nothing malicious but rather "just the way it was".  The lines between the north and south were just as heavy, as was the Philly and Jersey boys, as was the Catholics vs Protestants, as was the German immigrants vs Irish immigrants vs Italian immigrants, as was the urban vs rural, as was the educated vs uneducated.  It was not just a black vs white thing.  Trust me.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:16 PM »
You could make an interesting war movie about racism in WW2, using VJ and the Redtails, all events on one day.

No, you couldn't, because the date in your original post is badly incorrect.

For the record, I clicked on the thread expecting it to be about VJ Day, about which I'd just talking to my kid.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
I too will ask you to relax a bit and stop with the knee jerkin' responses.  Also, what society views an "racism" today may have not been back then.  Separation of the races and social classes was accepted by most people involved.

My grandmother graduated college in May of 1943, she had to wear white gloves her entire Sr year in preparation of her being considered "upper class" and it was suggested to her to never be out of sight of her spouse or her own father, and to not frequent public places with those who were uneducated.  She was expected to wear a skirt, wear those white gloves, and to associate with the educated.  That is the way it was, nothing evil about it.   

Learn to separate historical and factual events from your present day views on things and you will be able to see things in a much different manner and more so you'll be very hesitant to grasp on to the populist views which have become so very abundant.  What you and other believe was rabid "racism" was very possibly nothing malicious but rather "just the way it was".  The lines between the north and south were just as heavy, as was the Philly and Jersey boys, as was the Catholics vs Protestants, as was the German immigrants vs Irish immigrants vs Italian immigrants, as was the urban vs rural, as was the educated vs uneducated.  It was not just a black vs white thing.  Trust me.   

Setting aside your revisionist history, I was reacting to a word he used today, not back in the day, but today that is unacceptable.  I see he didn't actually use the word but used another that phonetically is the same.  I have no intention of arguing about the politics "back in the day" that allowed racism as that would also be breaking the rules.
Wag more, bark less.