Author Topic: Woohoo!! and a Dar suggestion  (Read 500 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Woohoo!! and a Dar suggestion
« on: August 16, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
Climbed out of A40 south towards France.  Swung to the east abit so that i could vector along the coast.  From about 20kft I spot a lone con at my 11 oclock.  Nose down abit to id the con, 109!!  Swoop down, to give chase, closing on low 6, hmm no reaction, closer...  from approx 450yrds I open up with the 303's and the 20's.  Well if the 109 didn't know i was there he sure does now, as all my rounds go wide...  He reacts breaks left, I open up again getting hits to his tail and right wing, which breaks free of the aircraft, and down he tumbles...
Rinse, repeat!!!  about 3 minutes later, I was able to repeat the EXACT same scenario upon another unsuspecting 109, (even the miss on 1st burst)
Did I mention that a couple of minutes after the second 109, a 190 passed below me.  I dove on him, and he didn't even break...

All these guys were obviously either sleeping, or AFK lol, ok mebbe just caught them at a bad time.  The 190 driver had commented in the arena not 1hr before how he loved the no dot dar in flight because it allowed you to sneak up on an enemy +)

My thots...

I like the dar, as it is, however, i feel there needs to be much more strat in the arena.  My little suggestion?  i know something was talked about in another thread similar, anyways:
Radar stations, same # and type (different gfx presentation perhaps) for both sides, with perhaps a range of 15-20k.  The stations give players Dot Dar in flight.
They also!! present some targets of strategic importance for the bombers/jabos.

Setup the dar stations in a chain basically along the coasts.  When a station is destroyed it area of coverage, no longer presents Dot Dar for 1hr (or whatever seems to work best)  1hr gives that team the chance to mount a strike through the gap in the dar if they so wish.

As a further addition:  Divide the channel in 2 between the coasts.  Permit NO enemy bar dar on the enemy side of the centerline.(perhaps friendly only)
This could be done for any map, where the channel/distance between frontline bases exists.  Norway would be just as simple with perhaps just a longer front with alot more dar stations.

It may get complex with a "moving" front but perhaps in time, multiple versions of the maps could be created with the stations ect in place for each front.

We really need more strat in the game, and this is an area neglected by the competition.  I can't wait to see what trains and convoys add +) but I'd like to see more factories, and installations.

SKurj

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: SKurj ]

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
Woohoo!! and a Dar suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2001, 12:18:00 AM »
S!

Excellent idea

However, by '42 (actually the Brits had them in '40)  both sides had mobile Radar stations which could be set up to replace the fixed positions stations if they were damaged.

These mobile stations didn't have quite the range of the permanent ones but they filled the gaps.

So any damage on the permanent ones should be fixed pretty fast.

Additionally the way the radar net was set up, there was a lot of overlap with the different stations.

Also of course, the Radar stations were among the most heavily defended targets.  Lots of 20mm Flak.  Nasty to go against.

And of course, B17's bombing from 20,000 ft couldn't hit them.  Unlike here...  ;)