Author Topic: Palemoon: A Firefox Alternative  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Palemoon: A Firefox Alternative
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
Yes, it is a Windows only project.

By the way, if you are using Palemoon and you had the Foxit PDF plugin installed for Firefox, you need to go to the Tools->Options menu, then select "Applications" and associate PDF's with Foxit, rather than the Mozilla Plugin for Foxit.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 02:13:15 PM »
Thanks, Skuzzy! My default browser now has changed. The only negative thing was that the Finnish language didn't come automatically, but fortunately someone had completed the translation. I hope they'd soon get localization to the same level as Firefox or Opera, or IE for that matter, making downloading and installing PaleMoon easy enough for those who lack even the basic skills in the English language.

What I like in PaleMoon is, that all the settings are in the good old familiar places unlike Chrome, which I find too streamlined. New is good, if it's done with respect to what was good in the past.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
Thanks, Skuzzy! My default browser now has changed. The only negative thing was that the Finnish language didn't come automatically, but fortunately someone had completed the translation. I hope they'd soon get localization to the same level as Firefox or Opera, or IE for that matter, making downloading and installing PaleMoon easy enough for those who lack even the basic skills in the English language.

What I like in PaleMoon is, that all the settings are in the good old familiar places unlike Chrome, which I find too streamlined. New is good, if it's done with respect to what was good in the past.

You have echoed my exact sentiments.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 03:35:51 AM »
Firefox turned into a massive ressource hog, so I switched to chrome out of desperation. I like the speed and the integration with google services that I use a lot.

I will check palemoon out of curiosity.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
I've been running it since Skuzzy posted. It seems quick and I had no issues with the site I frequent most  :noid

:neener:

It's my default browser now. Thanks for the tip Skuzzy.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
I gave up.  too many ads in youtube.  I installed the adblock addon but still shows ads.  trying clearing cache and nothing.  funny thing with same add on I dont see any ads in youtube or anywhere else.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
Semp, there has to be a setting that you are missing.   I can go to You Tube or any other website and I do not get a single ad.   Maybe a conflict or something.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »
I think it is.  but cant figure out what it is. gonna try to install it on a different partition and not transfer any settings.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »
You might consider simply changing your HOSTS file. The one available at MVPS will block all of the ad.doubleclick ads at youtube.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 09:25:11 PM »
You might consider simply changing your HOSTS file. The one available at MVPS will block all of the ad.doubleclick ads at youtube.

sorry for the stupid question but where would I get the hosts files from?

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »
Everything you could want to know (almost):

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
lol, i don't know what's going on with your system, but even using ie i don't see any pop up ads in youtube...

Ads are part of youtube. It's how they make money. Crap-tons of it, to boot. It's rare to find a video without one, though they are randomly seeded once in a while to play without them.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
Ads are part of youtube. It's how they make money. Crap-tons of it, to boot. It's rare to find a video without one, though they are randomly seeded once in a while to play without them.

Luckily nobody is forced to use crap sites like youtube or facebook. One can blame themselves if they use them.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »
Indeed, although I find a video hosting service like Vimeo or Youtube to be INFINITELY more valuable than any social media site. I'll close out the ads in Youtube because it's worth it. I won't even bother with Facebook.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »

ok reinstalled palemoon plus  installed mvps hosts as challenge suggested.  no more ads  :cheers:.  

thanks for the help guys  :salute.

semp

edit:  krusty it took me a couple of years to find out that youtube has ads.  I have adfree installed since I started using firefox many years ago.