Author Topic: using two monitors  (Read 1023 times)

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
using two monitors
« on: August 21, 2013, 02:20:05 AM »
now ive got 2 monitors how do i get started i setting these up to work with the game?
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: using two monitors
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »
what are you attempting to accomplish with 2 monitors? if you're wanting to run ah spanned across multi-monitors, it would be best to use 3 monitors.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »
The game simply uses what it is provided.  In order to use more than one monitor, you must make the monitors appear as one monitor to the game.  This is usually accomplished in the video drivers configuration.

Once you have the monitors appearing as one monitor to the game, it is a simple matter of changing the game resolution to match the accumulative resolution of the monitors.

For example:  If the two monitors are natively 1920x1080, then the game resolution, for two monitors, would be 3840x1080, if the monitors are configured side-by-side.

If they are stacked, then 1920x2160 would be the resolution.
If they are side-by-side, and rotated, then the resolution would be 2160x1920.
If they are side-by-side, rotated, and stacked then the resolution would be 1080x3840.

Hope that helps.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
And remember, in any case the crosshair will be right between the monitors.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
I'd highly recommend three....or six if your feeling frisky.  :aok

Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »

wouldn't be looking to adopt a poor old man would ya? i would only require a setup like that to keep me entertained...i can cook too.  :D
jarhed  

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:51 AM »
The game simply uses what it is provided.  In order to use more than one monitor, you must make the monitors appear as one monitor to the game.  This is usually accomplished in the video drivers configuration.

Once you have the monitors appearing as one monitor to the game, it is a simple matter of changing the game resolution to match the accumulative resolution of the monitors.

For example:  If the two monitors are natively 1920x1080, then the game resolution, for two monitors, would be 3840x1080, if the monitors are configured side-by-side.

If they are stacked, then 1920x2160 would be the resolution.
If they are side-by-side, and rotated, then the resolution would be 2160x1920.
If they are side-by-side, rotated, and stacked then the resolution would be 1080x3840.

Hope that helps.

that helps some on understanding how it works, show you a glimpse of what i have and its not much, i dont know if it can help the game play for me at all.
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 06:07:53 AM »

holy hell man, got a pota pot under that seat :D
looks like a clear advantage there,  would keep me informed on where your, so i can avoid that base.  :salute
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 10:28:51 AM »
By six, do you mean another triplet above or aside your current monitors? Or do those tiny illuminated things between your monitors and keyboard also count as monitors?

I mean, with six monitors there'd always be a gap right in the middle of the crosshair. Even worse, with the lines aligning system for multiple monitors the sight would be totally hidden behind the frames of the two middle monitors. Exactly the same problem as with two ones.

Nine monitors would be cool...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
that helps some on understanding how it works, show you a glimpse of what i have and its not much, i dont know if it can help the game play for me at all.

With such a setup, it makes not much sense trying to get the game using both screens.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
By six, do you mean another triplet above or aside your current monitors? Or do those tiny illuminated things between your monitors and keyboard also count as monitors?

I mean, with six monitors there'd always be a gap right in the middle of the crosshair. Even worse, with the lines aligning system for multiple monitors the sight would be totally hidden behind the frames of the two middle monitors. Exactly the same problem as with two ones.

Nine monitors would be cool...

The tiny illuminated things between the larger monitors and keyboard are two 7" and one 9" USB monitors.  To be fair, games do not play on them...I use them for Touchbuddy and Helio profiles.

With such a setup, it makes not much sense trying to get the game using both screens.

Agreed.  As someone else pointed out....at best you will end up having the center of your in-game "view" (i.e. the gunsight) obscurred by the bezels of the two monitors.

You also need to keep in mind that some video cards may require additional hardware to display games in a "surround" mode.  Nvidia-based cards (which I use) require an SLI setup with at least TWO cards to display games on multiple monitors.  ATI-based cards do not...but the downside there is the question of it the single ATI card has the GPU power to display a game in a much "wider/higher" resolution without loss of frame-rate.  This is the advantage of the (much more expensive) NVIDIA approach....two or more GPUs are used to display the game tends to cancel out (most) of the frame rate impacts from the "higher/wider" resolution.  My three 27" monitors are used to display AH and other games at either 5700x1080 or 5990x1080 (the latter resolution includes corrections to properly align the image across the display while taking into account the bezel width of the monitors).

I'd highly recommend you visit the Wikipedia article to familiarize yourself with some of the options.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
@fulcrum...the nvidia 6xx and 7xx cards do not require multiple gpus to run multiple monitors. and they have the power to run 3 1080p monitors from a single card, just like the amd cards.
jarhed  

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »
@fulcrum...the nvidia 6xx and 7xx cards do not require multiple gpus to run multiple monitors. and they have the power to run 3 1080p monitors from a single card, just like the amd cards.

Yup!  I just checked and stand corrected....I guess NVIDIA finally caved to the critics who said they were requiring two cards to generate sales rather than for technical reasons.

I'm still not a huge fan of driving a game across 3 1080p monitors with one GPU....at least the games I tend to play.  Could I get away with it with Aces High...sure.  Rise of Flight?  Yeah...but I'd likely have sacrifice much in the way of eye-candy.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:29 PM »
wouldn't be looking to adopt a poor old man would ya? i would only require a setup like that to keep me entertained...i can cook too.  :D

:D

Offline chrish483

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 01:56:32 AM »

i kinda figured that to,  can it be set up to switch views?   left, right, rear, up and down.  something ;like that could be really helpful.
L.T.A.R.smkr
SWsmkr