Author Topic: Cool...we're talking the talk, how about walking the walk?  (Read 693 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Cool...we're talking the talk, how about walking the walk?
« on: December 05, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to a revamped Combat Theater, but I am also recalling this has happened before.  When I wandered into the CT last night, 2 other players were in there.  The limited aircraft to choose from didn't appeal to me, much less the lack of other players   :)

So, with all these great ideas floating around, make it so!

But PLEASE....don't....

1.  Turn this into a Historical Arena.  We do not have enough aircraft from different years for that.

2.  Knowing all the things people dislike about the Main Arena (radar, etc), do those things in here.  Forget the huge maps...right now, that room needs players.  Stick with the Mindanao/Uterus etc maps for now.  Get some people in there, give them all the aircraft they have, but crank up the realism.  Toss the icons down to 2 or 3k, eliminate the radar bar, and dot-dar only within base radar range.

I know this isnt what some of you want to hear, because I know some of you desperately want a Historical Room.  Problem is, the CT has been that way for quite some time, and hasn't had many players.

I don't know how to CM and don't meet the prerequisites that Pyro asked for.  But, I think a lot of folks who are seeking some strat-style fun would enjoy the CT if the map was similar to the Main Arena, with all the realism goodies enabled.

Give us crosswinds, make those takeoffs/landings a bit hairy.  Many more ideas come to mind...

I see some real enthusiasm at what you guys seek to do.  But from my reading in this BBS, and what Ive seen in the buffer, limited planesets and huge maps really turn a lot of people off.

Just some ideas....looking forward to reading what others have to say.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
No, let's get strat and scoring in the CT first.  If that doesn't work on getting people in there, then open up the planeset.  The people I've talked to that want to play in the CT enjoy the planeset; they just don't enjoy fighting for the sake of fighting, so the arena is empty.

Unless you mean still restrict Axis v Allied, but not by year.  I do not want to see "similar" combat in this arena, only "dissimilar".
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline YardBird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
Love to see that stuff. Keep the Allied/Axis planesets (not year restricted, maybe perk the later model planes), tone down the icons and dot dar in tower only. Open up the strat and scoring. I'd live in that arena.   :D

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
stalingrad and scoring. that'd so it..

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
VVS planeset is incomplete.  I think it would get old pretty quick.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Aiswulf

• Copper Member
      • http://mdiplo.tripod.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2001, 04:01:00 PM »
Whether its a RPS or not lets get the rest of it implemented so we have an arena to play in.

Just keep it axis vs allied as far as the planes are concerned initially and we can then later see how a RPS would work.   :)

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Awulf ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2001, 04:46:00 PM »
Yep I gotta agree with that.  Too many weak countries and time periods in the planeset to do much else.  The strongest planeset is probably the mid-late war ETO we have been running, and even that has some holes.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]