Author Topic: Desktop computer  (Read 6711 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Re: Desktop computer
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »
How much data can a ssd store.

Comparing a 120gb ssd vs 1 TB .

How do they compare
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »
How much data can a ssd store.

Comparing a 120gb ssd vs 1 TB .

How do they compare
what? a byte is a byte. a 120gb drive, either mechanical or ssd will hold approximately 120 gigabytes of data (windows formats it to about 116gb of useable space). i won't get into file compression as that will just confuse you.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »
You guys are making me interested in learning more about SSD's.

What are the benefits for having your OS on it?  Is there really much that takes any time to load off a normal HD?  For me, it seems the longest is waking from hybrid sleep and launching that first browser window, but after that, things seem pretty snappy.  For typical usage, what is sped up a lot for the user?
on oem retail systems (laptop/desktop) with all the crapware installed, there is a big performance boot up performance difference between the stock mechanical drive and an ssd. even a low end ssd will boot faster.

i had the opportunity to real world test ssd's of various calibers (including refurbs) against mechanical drives in laptops and desktops. just looking at the boot process from power button to internet browser opening using automatic windows login, all of the ssd's were faster than the oem supplied mechanical drives using the factory images (not surprising). using a windows image created from a custom windows install and optimization tweaks, the margins in boot times between mechanical and ssd on desktop systems went down (didn't think it would happen), with the ssd's still being faster. in the case of the custom windows install, if 2-8 seconds of boot time is worth the cost per gigabyte to you, ssd is worth the price.

on the laptops, the boot time margins between ssd's and mechanical drives only marginally improved. over a period of a month of normal office use the mechanical drives slowed down where the ssd's stayed just as fast as the first day. file fragmentation doesn't affect ssd's like it does mechanical drives.

i don't personally know about how ssd's handle sleep/hibernation modes, i turn all windows power management off.
jarhed  

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
on oem retail systems (laptop/desktop) with all the crapware installed, there is a big performance boot up performance difference between the stock mechanical drive and an ssd. even a low end ssd will boot faster.

This is not limited to retail systems. In my case the clean installed Win7 bootup time went from 27 seconds to 7 seconds. Same kind of performance improvement is with overall usage like loading large game maps. On black ops for example using HDD the enemy would vulch you to spawn before you could even move and on SSD you're first on the map.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
Buy it for now.  And save your pennies to replace 1.) power supply unit, and then 2.) video card.   :aok

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
what do think about this computer guys..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220329R
The video card is in the very low end of high end cards: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html second lowest. It costs about $59, for $30 more you'd get a GeForce GTX 460 SE scoring threefold. The power supply is also weak, it should be changed along with the video card.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »
This is not limited to retail systems. In my case the clean installed Win7 bootup time went from 27 seconds to 7 seconds. Same kind of performance improvement is with overall usage like loading large game maps. On black ops for example using HDD the enemy would vulch you to spawn before you could even move and on SSD you're first on the map.
i can believe it. getting the right combo of hardware and windows tweaking on a custom built system can make what would be a nominal difference, turn out to be a huge difference. but that's not always the case for people and the boot time margins can be less than what you experienced.

as far as gaming, i'm still using a mechanical drive on my system and i'm always one of the first 5 people in a multiplayer gaming session during a map change...i'll probably jump on an ssd later this year, prices are still going down and i'm not inclined to go less than 256gb.
jarhed  

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
Hear is another nice one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155679
the asus is the lesser of the 2 evils...if you're going to choose between them, get the asus.
jarhed  

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2013, 11:31:25 AM »
WOuld you please explain? :P
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
the asus is the lesser of the 2 evils...if you're going to choose between them, get the asus.

^ this  :aok

The video card in the Asus is marginally better.  And with the Asus you would not be saddled with one of those dreadful Dell <hock-ptooie!> motherboards.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
^ this  :aok

The video card in the Asus is marginally better.  And with the Asus you would not be saddled with one of those dreadful Dell <hock-ptooie!> motherboards.
edzachery...the asus is using an asus mobo, not a modified for dell by <insert oem mfg name> p.o.s. mobo.
jarhed  

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »
as far as gaming, i'm still using a mechanical drive on my system and i'm always one of the first 5 people in a multiplayer gaming session during a map change...

Do you play black ops? It's physically impossible for you to be first on map if other players are using SSDs :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »
Do you play black ops? It's physically impossible for you to be first on map if other players are using SSDs :)
no but i did have bf3 installed for a while...always got in among the first 5.
jarhed