Author Topic: New Installation - Lost Controller Settings  (Read 548 times)

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
New Installation - Lost Controller Settings
« on: August 30, 2013, 07:08:05 AM »
I have just added Windows 7 (64bit) to my PC on a new drive keeping my XP (32bit) on the old drive. So currently dual boot via BIOS hard disk priority settings. - Unfortunately you can't dual boot windows 7 and XP from a windows 7 installation unless both are 32bit (as my old XP)

I have kept my directory structure the same when installing Aces High on Windows 7 and after installation copied my original Aces High folders (XP) over to the Windows 7 installation to keep all the extras and settings.

Problem is the Stick mappings have not gone over, or at least are not being picked up. I notice when I open Map Controllers that my Stick, pedals and throttle all appear in "UPPER CASE" text as opposed to "Lower Case" in XP suggesting that under windows 7 the controllers are seen as different ones.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or do I have to remap them all completely!

Edit:
I have found that under Windows 7 the controllers are seen differently and the button assignments not the same. I almost got away with creating new ".jsm" files by saving an axis in each controller then copy and paste using notepad the old file details (except the first two lines) into the new. But some other parts got screwed up - So it worked in part only.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:52:24 AM by Blagard »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Installation - Lost Controller Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 05:48:52 PM »
In your "settings" folder are jsm files corresponding to your controllers. Open side by side the ones from Win7 and Xp. See if there are any structural differences other than your mappings, calibrations, or scaling's. If not, copy all of the lines from the XP files into the Win 7 files. Here is what the file content generally looks like.

If that first number at the top like in mine (3,33) is different between the two files. Don't change the one in the Win7 file. Save and see how it works out. If not just delete it and restart the game. A new generic one will be generated.

chfighterstickusb.jsm

CH Fighterstick USB
X Axis
AXIS,ROLL,0,1
AXIS,ROLL,0,0
AXIS,ROLL,0,0
NOTUSED,NOTUSED,0,0
Y Axis
AXIS,PITCH,0,1
AXIS,PITCH,0,0
AXIS,PITCH,0,0
NOTUSED,NOTUSED,0,0
Z Axis
NOTUSED,NOTUSED,0,0
AXIS,TRIM_PITCH,0,0
AXIS,TRIM_PITCH,0,0
NOTUSED,NOTUSED,0,0
Hat Switch Fwd.
GLOBAL,TOGGLE_INFO
GLOBAL,TOGGLE_INFO
GLOBAL,TOGGLE_INFO
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Hat Switch Right Fwd.
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Hat Switch Right
GLOBAL,RADIO_1
GLOBAL,RADIO_1
GLOBAL,RADIO_1
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Hat Switch Right Back
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Hat Switch Back
PLANE,DISPLAY_DAMAGE
VEHICLE,DISPLAY_DAMAGE
PLANE,DISPLAY_DAMAGE
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Hat Switch Left Back
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Hat Switch Left
GLOBAL,TOGGLE_MSG_WND_SIZE
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Hat Switch Left Fwd.
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 0
GLOBAL,FIRE_ALL_GUNS
GLOBAL,FIRE_ALL_GUNS
GLOBAL,FIRE_ALL_GUNS
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 1
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_WINGMAN
PLANE,TOGGLE_COMBAT_TRIM
PLANE,TOGGLE_COMBAT_TRIM
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 2
GLOBAL,SELECT_SECONDARY
GLOBAL,SELECT_SECONDARY
GLOBAL,SELECT_SECONDARY
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 3
PLANE,FUEL_TANK
PLANE,FUEL_TANK
PLANE,FUEL_TANK
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 4
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_CLIMB
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_CLIMB
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_CLIMB
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 5
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_ANGLE
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_ANGLE
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_ANGLE
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 6
VIEW,TRACKER_CENTER
VIEW,TRACKER_CENTER
VIEW,TRACKER_CENTER
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 7
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_LEVEL
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_LEVEL
PLANE,AUTO_PILOT_LEVEL
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 8
VIEW,TOGGLE_ZOOM
VIEW,TOGGLE_ZOOM
VIEW,TOGGLE_ZOOM
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 9
VIEW,ZOOM_IN
VIEW,ZOOM_IN
VIEW,ZOOM_IN
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 10
GLOBAL,CHECK_6
GLOBAL,CHECK_6
GLOBAL,CHECK_6
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 11
VIEW,ZOOM_OUT
VIEW,ZOOM_OUT
VIEW,ZOOM_OUT
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 12
GLOBAL,FIRE_PRIMARY
GLOBAL,FIRE_PRIMARY
GLOBAL,FIRE_PRIMARY
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 13
GLOBAL,FIRE_SECONDARY
GLOBAL,FIRE_SECONDARY
GLOBAL,FIRE_SECONDARY
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 14
PLANE,TOGGLE_DIVE_BRAKE
PLANE,TOGGLE_DIVE_BRAKE
PLANE,TOGGLE_DIVE_BRAKE
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Button 15
PLANE,OPEN_BOMB_DOORS
VEHICLE,OPEN_BOMB_DOORS
PLANE,OPEN_BOMB_DOORS
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
X Axis Min
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
X Axis Mid
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
X Axis Max
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Y Axis Min
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Y Axis Mid
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Y Axis Max
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Z Axis Min
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Z Axis Mid
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
Z Axis Max
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
NOTUSED,NOTUSED
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
I did copy the old files over if you read my edit. Because on two of the files the numbers on the second line had changed I only copied all but the first two lines.

However I have just noticed a development. Later today I installed the CH Control manager in Win 7 (I had it in XP) which creates other devices although I don't use CH control manager in AH. When I opened AH I noticed new files and lower case used to show the stick, pedals and throttle. So I again tried to copy over my XP files and all was well.

It seems installing the CH Manager has somehow influenced the ID of the gear even when it is not used!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
There is a significant probability the USB ID's will be different between Windows 7 and XP.  The game uses the USB ID to be able to differentiate between multiple installations of the same hardware (i.e. two of the same brand and model of the same stick installed).

The way around this is to setup the stick for each operating system, then do not copy the joystick files (JSM extension) to the other operating system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:55:53 AM »
Thanks Skuzzy,

I do agree it is going to be quicker doing a fresh setup! - I just could not remember what I had put on all the different buttons and was trying to avoid have to note it all down. The thing is when you play the game you end up pressing buttons by second nature without really thinking about which one you press to do something. - Better late than never I am making a note of the "profile" used for the next time  ;)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
What you put on the buttons does not change between the files. Your map still exists. When you remap in Win7 open the two files next to each other. You will be surprised. When you pull up your joystick to map the buttons they are Button 0 -15 or whatever. When make your mapping selection it will read the same from the mapping list as in your old XP file.

Your joystick trigger:

Button 0
GLOBAL,FIRE_ALL_GUNS

When you are mapping that from the selection menu, its the Global menu, Fire All Guns option. You can read your old XP jsm file and see what you mapped to each button. Then choose those mappings again in Win7.

Just open it in notepad.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 04:17:20 AM »
What you put on the buttons does not change between the files. Your map still exists. When you remap in Win7 open the two files next to each other. You will be surprised. When you pull up your joystick to map the buttons they are Button 0 -15 or whatever. When make your mapping selection it will read the same from the mapping list as in your old XP file.

This is what you would expect, and what I tried, but in fact I found out otherwise - whilst many buttons had the same assignment I found very quickly that the buttons on my CH hat switches had been swapped around so a different hat now worked old commands. and in case you wonder, all the time my gear was left in plugged in same USB ports. I also found that some axis had been switched, for instance on the rudder pedals one brake changed to yaw and the old yaw became a brake.

As it happens since installing my CH Control Manager software in Windows 7 (which I do not use in Aces High), the controllers were once again seen the same. - Weird but not a problem.

The bottom line is to do as Skuzzy advised - Do a fresh install of the controller map on the new operating system.

LOL the next thing is to set up a proper dual boot instead of using the BIOS (To switch drive priority). I want to keep my 32 bit XP for some old programs as I move everything else to Windows 64 bit. I had decided not to use Windows 32 bit which would have enabled an easy dual boot arrangement. So I now need some boot management software!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
 If you installed win7 after you had xp installed you may have some issues!

It is suggested you install the 64 bit OS and then install the 32 bit OS,IIRC this has to do with memory addressing.  I managed to do it with 2 hd's but found I was using the 64 bit OS so often I just moved everything over and got rid of XP.

Now this was with Vista so Win7 may work slightly different.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »
morfiend,

I have just set up the Dual Boot with EasyBCD 2.2. The XP and Win 7 are on different drives and so far, all is well. Like yourself I expect to move over completely to windows 7 sooner rather than later! My PC boots into Win 7 by default at the dual boot menu. I have read of many difficulties that people seem to encounter setting up XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. By taking it one step at a time I have no real problems unless you include the first attempt to install windows 7 from within XP - You can't mix 32 bit and 64 bit doing it that way so I had to do the windows 7 install booting from the install DVD and disconnected the XP drive while I did it.

Other than the weird ID issues on the controllers in Aces High which is now resolved I have no current problems. I have no intention of trying to run a program on the XP drive after booting into Windows 7. If I need to use files from XP I boot XP, then put them into a temporary directory at the root of the drive to access as data only when later booting into windows 7. I plan to weed out old data as I transfer it over, that includes too many AH film files!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
Blag,

I had no real issues myself and like you my comp booted to the 64bit OS first.

This was with vista so I had some issues with getting all the drivers I needed but you shouldn't have that problem. I think you'll find it wont be long before you just give up the old xp OS,I ended up using that drive as storage after I wiped it clean.

Glad you got the controller issue sorted out! :aok

:salute