Author Topic: P39Q for this Tour  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
P39Q for this Tour
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Ink suggested I change planes so this tour I am leaving the P38L in the hanger and taking out the P39Q.  As I started to investigate the Q, the first thing that hit me is the PT bot has the same canon as the 39.

I figure on going the Russian load out with just the 37MM and the two 50s.

My late eye doctor flew the P39 during WW2.  When he spoke of flying the 39, he had a note of regret in the tone of his voice.  He must have taken a of kidding from the other pilots in the stangs and jugs.

Should be interesting. 

Any tactical tips outside for the Q.

Offline elc7367b

• Silver Member
Re: P39Q for this Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »
Tactical tip:  invest in silk, otherwise good luck this tour and have fun.

Muttman

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
Once you get the hang of it, sniper de-acking with single shots from the 37 is fun.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »
Ink suggested I change planes so this tour I am leaving the P38L in the hanger and taking out the P39Q.  As I started to investigate the Q, the first thing that hit me is the PT bot has the same canon as the 39.

I figure on going the Russian load out with just the 37MM and the two 50s.

My late eye doctor flew the P39 during WW2.  When he spoke of flying the 39, he had a note of regret in the tone of his voice.  He must have taken a of kidding from the other pilots in the stangs and jugs.

Should be interesting. 

Well....it dives well but climbing is a joke. Don't go vert...it bleeds E like crazy. It can turn down low pretty well...be careful using flaps for too long.  Cannon is much fun....I personally like it and feel it has a pretty flat trajectory for such a large cannon.  Might want to consider doing some time in the DA with it...will give you some practice with the 37mm and clue you in on the plane's shortcomings when faced with massed Spitteens and Brewsters.  :uhoh

It's a fun plane but as the previous post stated....invest in silk.   ;)

Have fun!  :aok :salute
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »

Left turns only.

Unlike the 39D, the Q is a nice-flying and effective plane.

- oldman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »

I think y'all nailed it.

Took out for a spell in offline practice and then the dueling arena.  Not as quite bad as I expected.  Had a few rounds with Simion in a F4u4.   I almost got a shot on him but engine died from a previous hit.  Lost several more to him but that is what I wanted, a good test.

Odd feeling in a turn with heavy elevator.

There are some terrible blind spots with the thick cockpit frames.  I assume the thick frames were stiffeners to support the engine and prevent tongue bending.  I figure the odd door came about as a result of needing those stiffeners running front to back.  The drive system in the nose didn't help that I am sure. 

I bet my hit percentage goes up.  I don't think transitioning from a 47 with its massive ammo load would be a good idea because of the very limited ammo with the two 50s.  The time in a P38 helped there especially since the canon fire was on a different trigger.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »

Left turns only.

Unlike the 39D, the Q is a nice-flying and effective plane.

- oldman

:rofl Ill out fly your Q with The D20mm option all day. The D is far better just have to pick fights better and be around 10 to 15k
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Back in the days of Warbirds 2.77 I used to fly the AiraCobra with great effect in the ground attack role. However, I often found myself in low level furballs in which case she is painfully outmatched. However, if you take the time to climb, which is tough with no super-charger, the plane can hold its own in the hands of a seasoned pilot in a loose type of BnZ. I did this in Warbirds to good effect but only in the early war phases against lower performing planes. I actually survived and won a few HOs with gents in 190s and 109s. If you can become accurate with your 37mm you can be surprisingly deadly in a 39.

I have no idea why the powers that were chose to not supercharge the Allison V-1710-85 liquid-cooled V-12. I firmly believe if it had been then this plane would have been a war winner.

FYI, if AH ever adds the P-63 to the game, I will be getting comfy in it for sure. I love the concept of a big cannon at my disposal.  :airplane:
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
P-39Q is a great plane in this game. Better to fight without the gunpods. Without them it almost feels nimble in the verticle (using WEP), but it also has a very short ammo clip and a steep learning curve on that ammo. You'll find you don't get a lot of kills with 37mm until you really nail down the ballistics. I got to the point I could get kills (7 in one sortie, a few times), but I still wasn't a "master" and relied on the 50cals in the nose as much as the 37mm.

It will turn well if it has E, but it's not the tightest nor fastest turner. Use your E and keep an escape route if you need to dive away or run and reposition. Getting into massive furballs is bad becuse SA out the back is terrible (too hard to see!) and you will most likely be picked off or latched onto by another enemy you don't see.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
P-39Q is a great plane in this game. Better to fight without the gunpods. Without them it almost feels nimble in the verticle (using WEP), but it also has a very short ammo clip and a steep learning curve on that ammo. You'll find you don't get a lot of kills with 37mm until you really nail down the ballistics. I got to the point I could get kills (7 in one sortie, a few times), but I still wasn't a "master" and relied on the 50cals in the nose as much as the 37mm.

It will turn well if it has E, but it's not the tightest nor fastest turner. Use your E and keep an escape route if you need to dive away or run and reposition. Getting into massive furballs is bad becuse SA out the back is terrible (too hard to see!) and you will most likely be picked off or latched onto by another enemy you don't see.

Agreed on all points.  You bring up a good point about the gunpods. I always fly with them so maybe my assessment of the vert for the Q is a little harsh. I tend to value volume of fire as I have always been a so-so (at best) shot. 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
just dont dive to the deck and run for ack...like others who fly it and then use the excuse...im in a 39...... :rolleyes:

my suggestion was more along the lines of fight no matter what you fly......but if flying the 38 makes you avoid getting aggressive until you hold all the cards, then fly a fighter you feel more confident in.....

do you want to learn how to fight...or do you want to stay alive?

that is the question you should ask yourself.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »

do you want to learn how to fight...or do you want to stay alive?

Ummmm....both?

I rarely disagree with you, bud.  But I do not agree these are mutually exclusive questions.

Respectfully, it's about flying and fighting smart.  That doesn't mean you run from a fight...but I don't agree the only way to learn is to throw oneself into a poor situation.  

:salute

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:41:29 PM by Fulcrum »

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 11:40:09 PM »
Ummmm....both?

I rarely disagree with you, bud.  But I do not agree these are mutually exclusive questions.

Respectfully, it's about flying and fighting smart.  That doesn't mean you run from a fight...but I don't agree the only way to learn is to throw oneself into a poor situation.  

:salute

its not the only way to learn...but it is the best.

read or hear about it all you want, until you get out there and do it....nothing will sink in....muscle memory and all that jazz.

if this was the real world I would understand about being cautious......

seeings how its a game about combat I enjoy combat, with no care for my cartoon life.

flying to survive does one thing...... it makes you timid.

of course there are exceptions to every rule...Grizz flew to survive in the MA.......he and I butted heads over it....but he would go to DA and whoop some ass.

the self proclaimed masters of ACM....flying to survive.... like chalenge are a joke.

the less people are like  that in the MA the better the MA is...more fighters=more fights=more fun.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:19 AM »
Thanks for all the input. 

Krusty and Twinboom have it right.  The plane has a lot of good characteristics.  Lots of WEP. Can make a sharp reversal.  Dives really well.  Since it bleeds speed so quick you can get to the flaps at the top.  The rudder is really good.  The speed is good given time.

That canon though is tough to get the lead right as Krusty noted.  I am use to conserving ammo so the low number of rounds is workable but as y'all know, you got to make that shot count.

The biggest difference between the 38 and 39  outside of the obvious?  I live longer in the 39.  The 38 size just says shoot me first.  The 39 must be a hard target to hit.

I miss the 38 but the 39 needs it time.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 07:13:05 AM »
I wish people let guys fly how they want to.  I guess it is to much to ask for. 
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek