Author Topic: BoB Frame 4 Saturday Sept 28 and Pre Final Frame Thank You  (Read 1671 times)

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
BoB Frame 4 Saturday Sept 28 and Pre Final Frame Thank You
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:34:32 PM »
Scenarios have always been a favorite of mine.  For years, I have personally enjoyed participating in them, but far more enjoyable for me is the ability to spend my time hosting an event for all of you.  There is nothing I enjoy more than working with the CM team and players who help draft and participate in these events.

Scenarios attract a different breed of player.  We simply have to be nuts.  There is a great deal of time spent putting the event together, trying out and testing the game board to make sure that each side has enough stuff to accomplish their goals.  It's important to us that the event is stable and functional, and consistent.  Nothing is worse than a command team spending an entire month drafting orders, running missions, testing flight times and bomb drops, simply to have something "we" forgot be changed at the last minute.  It's never perfect, but we strive to make sure this doesn't happen.

There is a great deal of importance placed on each side having the time to recruit players to their side, practice and train for the eventual battle.  That, I believe, is the majority of the Scenario right there.  The days and nights spent putting out a plan, testing and re-testing, drilling the basics into the team and building up to the actual fight.  Most of the work is done outside of the 3 hours of the frame, mission planning and command discussions often take longer than the frame itself.  This is an amazing thing to watch unfold especially since in most scenarios, there are always new people in those conversations.

The single most amazing part of a Scenario, imho however, is the raw determination to take what has been placed in front of you and figuring out how to succeed with it.  There is no way to accurately duplicate what those brave souls went through in a battle for their lives, yet we can, in a game, learn from that example.  Not one battle ever went forward with exactly what was needed.  Most of the success stories that continue to be told are not of the battles won by overwhelming force, it's of those battles that had no chance in hell of success and were reversed.  Those battles in history, the fights in this game, those are the elements that bring out the best in people, it brings out the creativity, drive and determination of people who fully commit to winning despite the odds.

Scenarios are designed to allow these things to happen.  They are not designed to make it happen.  We fully account for the fact that some people will rise, and others will not.  We allow for the fact that imbalance is part of life, and obstacles are there to be overcome.  The amazing part is that for the most part Scenarios attract so many like minded players that obstacles are blown apart and rendered irrelevant.  This particular event has seen more time spent on orders and planning by both sides than I have seen in a long time.  Discussions have been incredibly well focused on what can be done, what needs to be done, what must be done, and everyone is actively engaged in those discussions.  The positive and proactive energy has been infectious.

It has been a true pleasure hosting this event, and I am sincerely grateful for Stellaris and Bruv119 for their leadership of the RAF, SIM and ASW for their superb efforts in Radar Ops, Redtail7 and 68Raptor for their leadership of the LW, all of those who have done a remarkable job on rescuing their fellow pilots and getting them back into the event, and for those who have participated in the event.  Mostly, however, regardless of your position as pilot, group leader, or command, none of this would be worth it if you all didn't show up and fly.  If we wanted to watch The Battle Of Britain on the history channel we would, Guys like Arlo and others who have been recruiting monsters, Max and others for their incredible rescue efforts, all of the history being shared and re-discovered, everyone brought something to the event that was positive and productive, you have lived this event, not watched it. Scenarios are not a spectator sport, watching on the sidelines until the conditions meet your approval then jump in.  This is a game, some games are made to be played, Scenarios are made to be immersed in.  Thanks for not just playing but participating.

Frame 4 is coming Saturday.  This is it, it's the last one.  The RAF is determined to hold off the LW in their final massive assault.  The possibility that London will be attacked is real.  Frame 4 has the very real possibility of being the single most "don't miss" frame in years.  Walkon or Registered, this is the last one.  Let's put together one last amazing fight.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: BoB Frame 4 Saturday Sept 28 and Pre Final Frame Thank You
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »
And I will, again, be at work.  Ah well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »
HERE HERE!   :salute 
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:52:14 PM »
Outstanding!  :aok

Tally Ho!
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
If you're reading this thread, and never have participated in a scenario, I urge you to wade into the water next Saturday. You WILL have FUN...RAF and LW alike.

:salute to the CM staff for your hard work.

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
 :salute to the CM,s the CO,s for both sides and the SAR guys.

As an RAF group leader (first time) i think its especially important to thank SIM and ASW for spending 4 frames studying maps, taking position reports and plotting enemy courses, for me this really adds to the depth of realism to this event and theyre sacrificing time they could have been up in the sky with us to do this.

If youve never experienced a scenario, this final frame is shaped up to be one of the best battles fought in the 3 ive flown in so far.

Will the jerries or the RAF prevail you could help decide the outcome of the battle grab a Hurricane, Spitfire,109E, ju88, He111 or even a mighty stuka and come fight in the best AH has to offer.

:salute EatG
The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »
Uhh, so why do you trip so hard on numbers per group? The commanders could adjust tactics accordingly. Intel wasn't always correct, and planes would sometimes be down for repairs or maintenance? What's so wrong with 'go with what ya got? Oh, and any personal disputes should not effect enrolment at all!

Just Rumors!  :noid
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:06:12 PM by Franz Von Werra »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:43 PM »
I will miss this Saturday which is a shame because this scenario is really fun.  I urge anyone even toying with the idea to jump in and try it as a walk-on.  
AMAX  in game

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Im going to try and get off work early as well. Unfortunately I have a job that makes me work weekends, but at least Ive been able to make two of the frames so far. This has been on of the better events and I think participation in them helps strengthen the game.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
 :salute CM's
This has been an amazing scenario.  :aok
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:44:53 PM »
Thanks fore all your effort and hard work that was put into making this happen. I had a blast in the two frames I was able to play in  :salute

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
Unfortunately I will be unable to attend this Saturday  I will be out of town.

I had a blast last frame.  Someone fly a Hurricane for me will ya?
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 01:37:44 AM »
I've participated in a few scenarios in the past as a pilot, mostly flying with a well oiled squadron (JG11... great guys and thank you).  I've had a great time each time but it was easy to simply follow a good squad into battle.  In all my years of playing these games I was never able to take part in a BoB event until this time and given JG11's dedication to the Luftwaffe and the fact I was going to fly a Spitfire this scenario was going to be different for me.  I just didn't know how different.

I showed up for frame one and none of the pilots assigned to my squad showed except me.  I was thrust into a group leader position and for three frames I've lead an outstanding group of walk-on's into battle, often grossly outnumbered (5 vs 60+ at first contact in frame two and 3 vs ~105 in frame 3).  I suspect there were similar instances in real life.

I've learned a lot in three frames about what it takes to effectively lead, trying to keep my guys alive while also achieving the tactical and strategic goals of the frame and of the scenario.  With each frame our kill rates have increased and our loss rates have decreased.  I couldn't be more proud of the pilots that I've lead.  We've held our own beyond my wildest expectations despite the makeup of the squad changing with every frame (again I suspect this may have happened in real life).

As I was thrust into a group leader role with initial trepidation I've found I'm having more fun than ever.  I will truely miss Saturday afternoons after this frame.

:salute to the CM staff, both sides command, all the GL's and pilots who've flown on both sides but especially TY to the pilots of 92 Squadron RAF.  We have achived the improbable if not the impossible.  I hope to see you for one last go.

I'll part with some screenies I posted on the RAF forum:

Look what we found

Bombers everywhere

I'll take the 111's

First pass

OMG!

Try again

Scoring hits but no kill

Landing with collision damage... careful

Got it!

Spitfires on patrol

Refueling

Pass one splash one

Pass four splash two

Squaddie goes down

Pass six revenge (scratch 3) but...

I gotta get out of this plane

Whew!  My heart!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:48:30 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »