Author Topic: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA  (Read 6363 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: GROUND VEHICLE ONLY ARENA
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »
Besides, doesn't the modeling of the Ostwind, the Wirbelwind and the M-16 pretty much indicate that HTC was anticipating aircraft versus GV operations?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »
+1 outstanding
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2013, 01:16:02 AM »
I think the GV faction, if that's how you want to describe it, has been pretty well catered for the last few years. Many more GVs added than fighter aircraft, then the icons range shortened.

Recently I was trying to have a fight with an aircraft that was acting strangely, instead of fighting me he was just trying to drag me to 2 flak vehicle friends. How come the icon range was also shortened on Flaks, since their primary purpose is to shoot down aircraft?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »

Let `em eat cake.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:24:12 AM by Arlo »

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »
Tdeacon your going to get this negative crap from these guys they don't gv so they don't care  except to shoot down anything that does not fit into there scheme of game play. Take this Danny guy for instance ever seen him in a gv I haven't and Arlo how about him.....nope but they are quick to find something wrong with what you would like to see happen in the arenas. From what I have read Danny and Arlo you need not have posted any comments at all. Only the persons that are interested in gv'ing should be expressing there view on this topic and not the score padding players who look for the easy kills by bombing gv's. What tdeacon is asking many of his fellow players would like to see this done so that it be gv only area but still were the option to play under normal condition still remain. Going to the DA were it is already done is not the same as just having it in the ma were the bulk of players are. Now Danny as far as my spelling really dude.... this is what I am talking about if you have nothing better to do than express negative crap would your time not be better spent by shutting tfu.... anyways I cant wait to see what your reply is going to be but I bet its not positive. Now I'm not going to post any more replies because it will do no good except to have too answer Danny's and arlo's clever witty comments trying to out do me which I could care less but Tdeacon its a good idea I just wish there were more gv-ers here to support you sir.

I have tried to work it out, but I am at a loss as to what it is you want :huh

You have a GV only area in the DA, but apparently that isn't good enough, you want to be able to GV in the main arena but with total immunity from air attacks, which is just about the epitome of wanting others to play the game your way :bhead

You are correct about my lack of time in GV's in Aces High, although I feel I have more than made up for it in a military career spent exclusively in and around armoured vehicles. The reason that I choose not to GV in the game, is that it is as far removed from reality as it is possible to get.

There are not more GV'ers here to support tdeacon because what he is basically asking for is:

a.) already available in the DA
b.) completely unrealistic (GV's are attacked by aircraft in RL, just look at that score padding tard Hans Rudel) :old:

And if you honestly believe that I was wrong and that "arlo ur ful of it so stfu please say no more" was a constructive, well thought out contribution to the thread, then I apologise :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:34:08 AM by danny76 »
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2013, 04:21:52 AM »
just look at that score padding tard Hans Rudel) :old:

:rofl :rofl

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2013, 06:56:50 AM »
Setting a separate arena for GVs is not good in the grand scheme of this game. A GV main arena will mean that AH has effectively split into two games that compete against each other - players cannot be in two arenas at the same time. Since you will want to play with your squad mates and in-game friends, frequent arena hopping will not happen. The result is two communities with two different requests and development branches - modeling a new plane contributes nothing to the "other" game and vice versa when modeling a tank.

I do support GV areas within the terrains of the main arena. Some terrains already have a string of GV fields that are not very close to air bases and do no threaten air bases by not having spawn points near them. A good example is the ilands map where some remote islands have only GV fields on them and it is quite a travel to fly there from a land air base. Yes, the occasional attacker/bomber may fly there and drop some ords but you don't normally see continuous air presence over them. placing a high ridge between them and the nearest air base will deter players from grabbing a bomber formation and carpet bombing the GVs from low alt. We need more of these regions in main arena maps.

V-base spawning to another v-base is almost pure GV battle. V-base with a spawn point to an A-base is an invitation to an air strike.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2013, 07:08:43 AM »
I've never been one to 'poo poo' on any idea meant to increase player satisfaction, gameplay elements, etc.

That being said....

This. Is. The. Single. Dumbest. Idea. EVAH!

It is Evil and must be expunged.

Just sayin'...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:10:30 AM by Fulcrum »
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
Danny is awesome in a 410 sort of way :)

How big was  your weapon when in the forces :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2013, 01:31:48 AM »
I think the GV faction, if that's how you want to describe it, has been pretty well catered for the last few years. Many more GVs added than fighter aircraft, then the icons range shortened.

Recently I was trying to have a fight with an aircraft that was acting strangely, instead of fighting me he was just trying to drag me to 2 flak vehicle friends. How come the icon range was also shortened on Flaks, since their primary purpose is to shoot down aircraft?

Maybe because A-20's kill them with ease, not even necessary to put down your beer as she'll soak up the 20mm, might even get a laughable smoking effect from it while it goes on to kill 5 more gv's and then conveniently lands...Only to rinse & repeat.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2013, 01:53:57 AM »
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
Maybe because A-20's kill them with ease, not even necessary to put down your beer as she'll soak up the 20mm, might even get a laughable smoking effect from it while it goes on to kill 5 more gv's and then conveniently lands...Only to rinse & repeat.
The slightly larger A-20G seems to be disproportionately tougher than the heavy fighters like the 38, 47, 110, 410 and Mossie.  Perhaps that will be looked at when it is updated.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
I have tried to work it out, but I am at a loss as to what it is you want :huh

You have a GV only area in the DA, but apparently that isn't good enough, you want to be able to GV in the main arena but with total immunity from air attacks, which is just about the epitome of wanting others to play the game your way :bhead

You are correct about my lack of time in GV's in Aces High, although I feel I have more than made up for it in a military career spent exclusively in and around armoured vehicles. The reason that I choose not to GV in the game, is that it is as far removed from reality as it is possible to get.

There are not more GV'ers here to support tdeacon because what he is basically asking for is:

a.) already available in the DA
b.) completely unrealistic (GV's are attacked by aircraft in RL, just look at that score padding tard Hans Rudel) :old:

And if you honestly believe that I was wrong and that "arlo ur ful of it so stfu please say no more" was a constructive, well thought out contribution to the thread, then I apologise :)

Danny,

1)   I am not the OP, and the OP's idea isn’t my preferred solution to the lack of GV-friendliness in AH, but I am willing to try it if HTC is.  
2)   The DA thing doesn’t do the job, as mentioned before.  It lacks visibility (the main problem), and it also can be griefed by AC should another player choose to do so, which they will if people start to go there regularly.   There are a number of other objections which have been covered in more detail in previous posts.  
3)   Realism isn’t the primary goal in a game like this.  Fun is.  Furthermore, nobody including HTC has ever claimed that AH game-play dynamics are realistic; they aren’t even supposed to be.  Their purpose is to let us play with (hopefully) realistically modeled cartoon planes and tanks within a game-play framework.  Also note that in general military-history-based games (which I’ve played for over 40 years) take a selected subset of elements from the real thing, and leave out the majority of elements which aren’t fun (like death, fear, discomfort, waste of resources, etc.).  
4)   Building on (3) above, therefore, there are a group of people who want an additional sandbox to play in.  IMHO, it doesn’t hurt anyone else to add this sandbox, as nobody will be forced to use it.  If HTC decides that adding it will bring in more subscribers than it drives away, then they will do so.  It’s just a question of practicality and expediency.  

MH

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
We are going to run a TANK WARZ setup in the Ava from Oct 18-24.  That would be a good indicator if their is sustainable numbers for a ground-war only arena.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
We are going to run a TANK WARZ setup in the Ava from Oct 18-24.  That would be a good indicator if their is sustainable numbers for a ground-war only arena.

Good luck on this, and I will put it on my calendar, but I disagree with the "good indicator" premise for a number of reasons (like it's AVA, it's one-time-only, the terrain and available GVs may not appeal, etc.).

Do you have a thread somewhere giving details?

MH

EDIT:  Thanks for posting the thread.  I see you have ground attack planes with 500 pounders.  So not at all a "good indicator" of a the popularity of a GV-only arena.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:26:51 PM by TDeacon »