Author Topic: Generic GV icon seen from the air  (Read 1999 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Generic GV icon seen from the air
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:56:50 PM »
Another idea to take some of the bombing pressure off perk GVs might be to substitute a generic GV icon for the current ones which indicate the GV type.  This would be what you see from a plane; from a GV, things would stay the same.  Or perhaps have 2 icons when seen from the air, with one saying "GV", and another saying "Flak".

That way, you wouldn't have attack aircraft preferentially targeting perk tanks.  This wouldn't be a complete solution to the current need for GV-friendly portions of the map, but would at least improve things a bit.   

MH

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Generic GV icon seen from the air
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
This is a really stupid wish  :rofl I want no one to shoot me down please HTC  :old:

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
+1 for me
Peanut1 in game.

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
 Not really a stupid request . Identification is very hard from the air . I think from the air it should simply read... Tank ...APC...AAA...WV .

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
+1

:aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
And from the ground you should simply see "unknown aircraft".

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
And from the ground you should simply see "unknown aircraft".

I give a +1 to this wish, if THIS is added to it. 

Have to stay "even" :)

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »
I don't see any particular problem with this idea.

I don't think it would help all that much though.  I am not sure how many fliers target perk tanks over other tanks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 08:16:17 PM »

I don't think it would help all that much though.  I am not sure how many fliers target perk tanks over other tanks.

I actually stay away from them if I can help it, ground or air.  I remember the last tiger II I tried to bomb took over 4 sorties, and over 9k of lethal ords. And I still lost  :rofl

I actually wouldn't mind an icon that is generic. For example "GV" at 400+ yards.   Yet at less than 400 yards away from the target you get a specific name (like you do now).

I think the reason why current icons list the specific type of ground vehicle now, is for two reasons.  One, those with bad eyesight who would have trouble identifying those things. And for the anti-air GVs. (Wirbles, Osti's and M16s).  It's quite easy to get a kill in a wirble and in an m16, at 1.5k (done it many times).  Which is a problem for planes.  The only thing I can think of to counter it, would be to (if icons were changed) make wirbles/m16s icon "identify" at 600-800 yards; and keep the tank's icon "identification" distance at 400 yards.

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
<anip>
I actually wouldn't mind an icon that is generic. For example "GV" at 400+ yards.   Yet at less than 400 yards away from the target you get a specific name (like you do now).
<snip>

Simpler just to ignore the range for this idea.  Have you checked on the size of a GV at 400 yards?  It's pretty damned large. 

MH

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
I've suggested before for a less informative icon.  

For aircraft, I say until they are inside X distance (1000 yards?), the icon should simply say 1ENG, 2ENG, or 4ENG.  Once inside 1000 yards then have the icon show the type but not the model.  For instance, all of the 190's would simply say "190", no A5, A8, F8, or D9 available.  Ditto for P47's, P51, F4U, 109's, Spitfires, etc.  Keep is as generic and simple as possible.

For gv's, until inside 600 yards I say leave it as simple as "TNK" for any tracked vehicle with a turret (non AAA); "HTK" for the M3, 251, and even M16; "WND" for either the WirbelWIND or OstWIND; and "WHL" for the Jeep, M8, and the upcoming Daimler Mk I armored car (2 Pdr/40mm).  Once inside 600 yards then give a the type of tank but not the model.  This would really only effect the Panzer IV's (F1, F2, and H), the M4's (75mm, 76mm, and Firefly), and T34's (76 and 85).  Otherwise, the typical PTHR, TIGR, etc, would all be obvious.

There is too much info handed out from the icon, I think there should be a bigger fog of war present.  Force players to stick their neck out a wee bit to seek out and inspect the target and force the engagement.  Too often we're seeing the 5k+ P51 run away at first sign of an equal or near equal speed plane.  Force him to come in closer for that positive ID.      
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:32:35 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 01:20:19 AM »
How about everyone just stay in the tower where it's safe and warm...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 01:47:21 AM »
I've suggested before for a less informative icon.  

For aircraft, I say until they are inside X distance (1000 yards?), the icon should simply say 1ENG, 2ENG, or 4ENG.  Once inside 1000 yards then have the icon show the type but not the model.  For instance, all of the 190's would simply say "190", no A5, A8, F8, or D9 available.  Ditto for P47's, P51, F4U, 109's, Spitfires, etc.  Keep is as generic and simple as possible.

For gv's, until inside 600 yards I say leave it as simple as "TNK" for any tracked vehicle with a turret (non AAA); "HTK" for the M3, 251, and even M16; "WND" for either the WirbelWIND or OstWIND; and "WHL" for the Jeep, M8, and the upcoming Daimler Mk I armored car (2 Pdr/40mm).  Once inside 600 yards then give a the type of tank but not the model.  This would really only effect the Panzer IV's (F1, F2, and H), the M4's (75mm, 76mm, and Firefly), and T34's (76 and 85).  Otherwise, the typical PTHR, TIGR, etc, would all be obvious.

There is too much info handed out from the icon, I think there should be a bigger fog of war present.  Force players to stick their neck out a wee bit to seek out and inspect the target and force the engagement.  Too often we're seeing the 5k+ P51 run away at first sign of an equal or near equal speed plane.  Force him to come in closer for that positive ID.      

I can go for this.  Gives enough info on whether it's anti-plane or troop carrier, yet doesn't identify it from long-range.

+1

Tinkles

<<S>>
HiTech

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 02:13:57 AM »

Really? There are several regulars you haven't met then.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 06:46:49 AM »
solution...

no icons on enemy planes viewed from vehicles...

and no icons on vehicles viewed from planes.

/end thread
Fester was my in game name until September 2013