Author Topic: .50 cal hitting power  (Read 1408 times)

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
.50 cal hitting power
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »
It really seems to me there is a difference in hitting power with f4u-1 vs -1a or d. I fly those the most and it seems more difficult to bring an air craft down with the -1. Same converge same style of flying and targetting and distance there seems to be less hitting power. Was there a difference or am I just off a bit?

Thanks

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: .50 cal hitting power
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »
You're just off a bit.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
You're off a bit.

Each and every one of the US .50 caliber MG's mounted in US and British aircraft in AH have the exact same "oomph".  Mind you, they are a wee bit less than gv mounted US .50 cal MG's.   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
check your convergence settings in these planes. Is it the same?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »
Same convergance yes. Thanks for the answers everyone. Just have to work on it. :-)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
only thing I notice is planes tend to snap a little easier when you have more momentum.

in a slow speed tail chase it always seems to take a little more. 

Like say I'm in a pony diving on buffs I'd get 1 or 2 down in one pass.   If I was co-e climbing behind it would take x amount more trigger time to achieve the same result.  Whether it should or shouldn't is open to debate just my opinion after thousands of kills in various 50 cal aircraft. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
I don't fly them much.  Can't imagine any difference unless the rate of fire is different from model to model.
AMAX  in game

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »
Doesn't the later f4us have a faster rate of fire than earlier model?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
Could be too, the 1 turns a bit better and the lead changes.  You may have noticed on planes that are just a bit slower it is hard to close quickly for the kill.  A big advantage for high alt pickers and planes like the mustang is closure speed.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
Doesn't the later f4us have a faster rate of fire than earlier model?
No.  All WWII M2 .50 calibers are the same for aircraft.

Per HiTech the way the game works is that the same code is called for a given weapon.  In other words the M2 .50 caliber aircraft gun is only coded once and the .50 M2 guns on the F4U, P-47 and Spitfire Mk XIV all call the same code to calculate velocity, drag and damage.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
No.  All WWII M2 .50 calibers are the same for aircraft.

Per HiTech the way the game works is that the same code is called for a given weapon.  In other words the M2 .50 caliber aircraft gun is only coded once and the .50 M2 guns on the F4U, P-47 and Spitfire Mk XIV all call the same code to calculate velocity, drag and damage.

That makes sense because from what I've read, was told in the Marines and what I've experienced, the M2 and is subtle variants has a virtually unchanged receiver since the currently used 1933 inception of the M2HB. The aircraft version known as the AN/M2 was utilized from the Curtiss P-36 all the way up to the McDonnell FH Phantom and the Republic F-84 variants. However a faster firing version, the AN/M3 saw service with the Sabre and none other as far as I know.
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »
That makes sense because from what I've read, was told in the Marines and what I've experienced, the M2 and is subtle variants has a virtually unchanged receiver since the currently used 1933 inception of the M2HB. The aircraft version known as the AN/M2 was utilized from the Curtiss P-36 all the way up to the McDonnell FH Phantom and the Republic F-84 variants. However a faster firing version, the AN/M3 saw service with the Sabre and none other as far as I know.

I thought I read somewhere some of the later P-47s and P-51s may have had the M3 variant at the very end of the war, but not nearly enough of them to justify making it a loadout option.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:14:03 AM »
I thought I read somewhere some of the later P-47s and P-51s may have had the M3 variant at the very end of the war, but not nearly enough of them to justify making it a loadout option.

That would be neat 1200 rpm rather than 800rpm.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 02:02:16 AM »
Aren't all the other F4U's faster than the 1?  If so then a slightly faster rate of closure might be enough to be noticable.  Muzzle velocity is muzzle velocity after all and added to the closure differential you should hit a little bit harder.  At the extreme connecting on a HO shot should hit a lot harder than one from the six.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 07:16:25 AM »
Aren't all the other F4U's faster than the 1?  If so then a slightly faster rate of closure might be enough to be noticable.  Muzzle velocity is muzzle velocity after all and added to the closure differential you should hit a little bit harder.  At the extreme connecting on a HO shot should hit a lot harder than one from the six.

No, only the F4U-1A (marginally) and F4U-4 (a lot) are faster. The 1D and 1C are a little bit slower, since they have fixed pylons adding drag. I think the 1C also adds a bit of parasitic drag due to the increased weight of the cannon.

That would be neat 1200 rpm rather than 800rpm.

Yes, but as I said, I believe it was only a handful of airframes at the very end of the war that had them. If that, because I can't remember if what I read was accurate.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.