Author Topic: Capt. James A. Shurig  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: Capt. James A. Shurig
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
 :salute
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline realgood

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
 Very sorry to hear of your lost sir  someone close last year was A20 B25 an B24 in ww2  :salute al will be miss
Might as well face it we are all addicted to this hehehe but me really I can ouit any time I want to <Proud Member 2nd Squad >"***Alchemists***"

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
 Sorry to hear this Changeup.

Hopefully he's doing what he loved the most right now! :angel:

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:28 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss, Grandparents are special, there is a relationship and love there that a mother and father just can't fill or understand. :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
I hate to see these old timers leave us. My condolences ChangeUp  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Pepprr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »

Sorry for your loss Changeup.
My condolences to you and your family.

~AoM~

SSACIFMTSHU 
My vids :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0db9fARH0

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 09:00:03 PM »
Awfully sorry to hear that.  I enjoyed hearing his reflections on some of the photos we swapped.

Here again for everybody is my favorite photo of the war.  One day I decided to do an internet search on the tail number, and lo and behold google brought me to Changeup's post on the AH BBS.  While it's not him in the cockpit in this photo, turns out it's one of the very planes he flew on several occasions. :salute
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »
I'll have a drink to both your gramps Change-

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 09:34:42 PM »
My grandfather passed away this morning at the ripe old age of 95ish.  That's both of them this year.  

Very sorry for such a tough year, Changeup.  Sounds like the man lived a long and full life.  Who could ask for more?

- oldman

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss changeup  :salute
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:30 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Changeup but it sounds like he had a long and full life.  Three of my grandparents died around the time I was born and I barely remember the fourth so you were lucky to have them around.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »
Thank you very much gang.  

Neither of them got cheated one bit that's for sure.  I talked to my mom tonight and we visited about what she last talked to him about which was the war.  He missed family.  She said we were all there and he said, "no.  That's not what I meant.  I missed my flying family".  He told her many times he felt guilty because he loved flying in the war and he knew the guys on the ground had it worse...but he couldn't help it.  He loved flying that thing.  BTW, his brother, my great uncle, is still alive at 90 and had a story written about his bailout as a tailgunner in a B-24 over the Italian Alps.  Heck of a read.

Cactus and Guppy, his sister has all of his stuff and apparently he kept a bunch.....flight logs, pictures, and an undisciplined journal for everything from Port Moresby to Guam.  Mom thinks she or her sister will get all of that because that's what they wanted.  My two uncles aren't interested in the paperwork, just the commendations, medals (to be put in a frame for their kids) and of course his flag.  Sounded like a fair trade to me.  I will post what I can when I see it...maybe there's a snapshot in there somewhere.  Thank goodness for good cell phone cameras.

Again, thank you to all of ya.

Changeup
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:20:58 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba