Author Topic: Teen punished for helping drunk friend  (Read 5830 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Teen punished for helping drunk friend
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
sounds like some of y'all work for the school district.

Perhaps it is just that some folks don't live in a fantasy world where we try to do everything in our power to not face the music when confronted with the impropriety and consequences of our own actions...

From the information afforded so far:

The girl was on the volleyball team.
School rule was zero tolerance with regard to alcohol.
Girl willingly and knowingly entered the premises of a party where alcohol was present.
Cops came.
Everyone got caught.

Even if she wasn't drinking, she was there.  That was against school policy.  I doubt the criminal charges will stick.

I'll be the first to say that zero-tolerance seems like a draconian doctrine.
I will also be the first to point out that she choose to be there, even though she knew what the possible consequences  were.

All I see is a teenie soap-opera where everyone is boo-hooing to the media about having to pay the piper.
If you agree to terms, regardless of how ridiculous they are, violate those terms and then cry about the hammer falling, it shows a lack of integrity.  

I don't see the the apologetic view of why this girl shouldn't have to face the consequences of her own actions.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »
No Tolerance Policy.

~~Translation~~

No Common Sense.

:joystick:
:aok +1
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
I'll be the first to say that zero-tolerance seems like a draconian doctrine.
I will also be the first to point out that she choose to be there, even though she knew what the possible consequences  were.

All I see is a teenie soap-opera where everyone is boo-hooing to the media about having to pay the piper.
If you agree to terms, regardless of how ridiculous they are, violate those terms and then cry about the hammer falling, it shows a lack of integrity.  

I don't see the the apologetic view of why this girl shouldn't have to face the consequences of her own actions.
with consideration of her actions, without proof that there were any improprieties on her part other than as stated, the punishment did not fit the crime. simple. you don't get equal justice under the law, so there is no reason the school board shouldn't do a full review and make a decision based on fact rather than "blanket rules".
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
with consideration of her actions, without proof that there were any improprieties on her part other than as stated, the punishment did not fit the crime. simple. you don't get equal justice under the law, so there is no reason the school board shouldn't do a full review and make a decision based on fact rather than "blanket rules".

I don't have a copy of the rules but, if she violated them, knowing what the punishment would be, shouldn't she face the music according to what the rules are?

I would love to have more details of both the rules and the actions leading up the the police showing up to the party.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
I don't have a copy of the rules but, if she violated them, knowing what the punishment would be, shouldn't she face the music according to what the rules are?

I would love to have more details of both the rules and the actions leading up the the police showing up to the party.

Burn the witch! :devil

:salute

PS: The sky is falling......

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »

Burn the witch! :devil

PS: The sky is falling......

You bet the sky is falling...

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
You bet the sky is falling...

This is why it's good to live way up north,the sky has further to fall.... :devil

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »

mitigating circumstances your honor... why should the school board (governed by the state) rules be any different than state and federal statutes?

sorry but, since there was no out right offense other than her untimely presence, i stand by what i said...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »
The stupid thing about this is that it is local newspaper stuff only in my mind..... with so many other issues and news worthy stories in the world and this is a main newsroom story...to make things worse it was probably picked out by some journo whilst surfing the web ...so sad..... where are the journalists these days....just no grunt work in it these days...

As for the consequences as read .... they have no grounds ... the policy is for drinking, not party attending( from what we read)...
maybe there is more..maybe not... We just won't know till a real journo takes over....hmmmm...story isn't worth it hahaha

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 06:21:02 PM »
Waiting outside for someone who's drunk? Come on! Have you ever tried to get someone who's drunk out of anywhere?

:rofl

Point taken.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
mitigating circumstances your honor... why should the school board (governed by the state) rules be any different than state and federal statutes?

sorry but, since there was no out right offense other than her untimely presence, i stand by what i said...
You can add to but not take away....pretty sure the school has that authority for extracurricular activities which is a privilege.

Still thinks it's wrong...not a good message sent by the school.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »
who's to say she didn't go there to get loaded and just came in at the right time and came up with the "im here to pick up my drunk friend" story

wait a minute, who cares
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
The stupid thing about this is that it is local newspaper stuff only in my mind..... with so many other issues and news worthy stories in the world and this is a main newsroom story

:aok  :cheers:
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm gonna get crucified for this one, but what the hey   :D

I vividly recall a time that when you left school for the day, you were no longer their "property" as it were   ;)

One can only assume that due to the fact the "Administration" claims that playing sports is a "privilege" at said school, they obviously allow whomever wishes to participate to do so, and for free I must add.   If that is not the case, well there is problem number 1

Now as I have read the thread, and  little from other sources as well.  My take was basically that the cops were already there, she showed up and "viola" instant summons.   Mostly because she was on the property, and nothing more.

So, she pays a price for being there.  Nothing more and nothing less than that, simple enough right?  Perhaps.

I have a 23 yr old daughter, who just happens to play volleyball in the Big 10.   Had she done what this girl did, I would have been thrilled she did, because that means she was compassionate enough and smart enough to realize what the consequences of possibly allowing that person to drive may have been.

Oh, and FWIW  she in fact has done so, several times actually.

I turn 50  :old:  in a few short months, as I have aged, and gone thru life I have noticed a few things about our society that quite frankly bewilders me.

Here is a case that can be looked upon as a situation where this young lady in fact did a good thing, heck did the right thing, only to be shamed and penalized.   Sure the cops gave her a summons, they basically had no choice.  She went out of her way to help another, and not only did the law penalize her for her actions, so did the very people we pay to educate her to.......... wait for it............make the right choices in life.

I defy anyone here to meet me face to face over the age of 35 and tell me this girl did a bad thing, cause bottom line she didn't!!!  Simple as that folks.

Our society or educational system no longer supports or attempts to impress on the younger generation to do the right thing, think before you do, use common sense in every facet of your daily life.  Instead,  it has as I see it become a society and system that has no clue how to instill or teach any of those things as a whole.   It's sad   :(

Some will argue it's all up to the parents, and I agree to a point, but the reality is this.  Or educational system used to carry it beyond the home and parents, when they lost the ability to do so.... We all lost

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2013, 05:34:18 AM »
To be frank I think the common school practice of forbidding student athletes from taking performance-degrading drugs is short sighted and stupid.  I think one of the greatest ways in the world to keep kids off drugs in the first place and to to get them back off them later on is to give them something better to do with their time, and sports are just that.  If any kid ever NEEDED to be on a sports team, it's a kid that just started to use drugs.  Throwing them off is the worst thing you can do.

I think a much better alternative to suspension would be a strategic cut in playing time - let the kid play but also hold them back while their team is down - especially if they are a better play - watch them squirm and let them know exactly what their drug use is doing and how it is letting the team down.  Chanel that pack instinct and get their head back into the game...  Don't send them to their room where what's happening on the field is out of sight out of mind.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group