Author Topic: The best medium level bomber in the game  (Read 1682 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: The best medium level bomber in the game
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
The B-26 Marauder was not intended to replace the A-20 Havoc, that was the A-26 which was intended to replace both the A-20 and B-26.

ack-ack

I've read it outright that the B26 was on the drawing board to replace the A20, I don't remember the source nor the exact timeline.  I'm not going to get in to a purse fight over the issue.

As far as torps go, I guess I should have extended my sentence a bit further: the B26 in AH can't carry torps.  Maybe the updated one will.

Again... I brought in the B25, He111, G4M, and Ki-67 for comparison on range.  Anyone compare climb rates and speeds at 20k?  It gets interesting as the altitudes get higher.  Bomb load and defensive guns (offensive as well), all favor the B26 without question.  I thought that was obvious. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »
Being a medium bomber, I never found the endurance / range of the B-26 to be an issue for me, even when attacking several bases. The 26 is rather quick up to it's best altitude and has more than sufficient fuel for almost all tactical bombing at that alt.
I also have to say I never use more than 50% fuel in the G4M either, as going that far into enemy territory that you would need 100% is going to get killed you anyway  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 08:14:27 PM »
I also have to say I never use more than 50% fuel in the G4M either, as going that far into enemy territory that you would need 100% is going to get killed you anyway  :uhoh
The range demanded by the IJN (the customer) for the G4M is what made it as vulnerable as it is.  Mitsubishi told them they couldn't make an effective warplane with the limitations specified and wanted to go to four engines so it could have the requested range and the needed protection, but the IJN insisted on two engines and heavy bomber range.  To meet the demanded range on two engines Mitsubishi had to design it with a wet wing, the skin of the wing is also the skin of the fuel tanks. We know the result.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
A B26 formation is the last type of bomber formation I normally like to try and take down.  Their speed and defensive firepower makes them scary to engage, especially with a fighter not known for high speed, or low on cannons.  They are a great medium bomber :aok

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 12:59:35 PM »
B 26 = a faster, smaller, less fragile B 17.  +1 for the remodel
AoM
City of ice

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
For the longest time Airjer was the only one flying the B26. Now it's a regular in the MA. Darn thing is fast and isn't so much a sitting target like a couple of others. However like the thread states it's a medium bomber. So not a whole lot of ordnance. Still though as Airjer has demonstrated countless times it will sink a cv.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »
For the longest time Airjer was the only one flying the B26. Now it's a regular in the MA. Darn thing is fast and isn't so much a sitting target like a couple of others. However like the thread states it's a medium bomber. So not a whole lot of ordnance. Still though as Airjer has demonstrated countless times it will sink a cv.
???

B-26 has always been one of the most common bombers in the game.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »
B-26 has always been one of the most common bombers in the game.

While the metric of usage (K+D) is not really working well with bombers, as those planes in general (and ones like the Mossie 16 in particular) are often trying to avoid combat, it can show a general picture:

As can be seen, the 26 has never been an 'unpopular' choice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:43:29 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »

I guess you never ran into the deadly pair of B-26's flown by 999000 and tatertot on a fairly regular basis a few years ago.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 01:32:31 AM »
I fly the B26B too  :old:

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 03:09:36 AM »

Don't need lanc pilots converting to a deadlier, faster, and more durable buff ride.  They are happy in their ignorance, and I am happier for it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 06:13:49 AM »
Yes, yes.  The 26 is my default CV killer. It's speed gets you in quick so the admiral doesn't have a chance to come back from AFK to turn it.  Then I drop alt and troll for fighters.  Sometimes I even get a kill or two.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 06:37:35 AM »
I am confused now.  If the B26 designation did not come about to 1948 then in AH the B26 should be labeled A26.  Would that be right?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 07:14:21 AM »
I am confused now.  If the B26 designation did not come about to 1948 then in AH the B26 should be labeled A26.  Would that be right?
You're thinking of the Douglas A-26/B-26.  We're talking about the 100% different Martin B-26.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 07:28:49 AM »
Yes, yes.  The 26 is my default CV killer. It's speed gets you in quick so the admiral doesn't have a chance to come back from AFK to turn it.  Then I drop alt and troll for fighters.  Sometimes I even get a kill or two.

B26 is arguably the best BOMBER in the game IMHO because of it's speed and versatility.  Anyone who thinks it lacks punch in the defensive department isn't paying attention.  I don't fly bombers regularly, but even so recently fought off three (a Spit 16, Spit 14 and a P51) simultaneous attackers after hitting a target.  Lost a drone (which was soft anyway from the field 88) but killed the Spits and sent the 51 diving for a nearby base with an engine hit.

Not too shabby for a "amateur" buff pilot in a "medium bomber". :D  :aok
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)