Author Topic: Gunning from a Tank  (Read 1230 times)

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
Gunning from a Tank
« on: October 27, 2013, 06:58:48 AM »
So, I don't know if it's just because I'm getting old and feeble of sight but.....

that tiny little smudge off in the distance....that's my target?  I just thought that looking through the gunsight would give me a higher magnification.  Is there a zoom function in the gunsight? Or a couple of keystrokes that I'm missing?

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
Re: Gunning from a Tank
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
They did a major overhaul of GV's some time ago. My friend used to enjoy gv,ing but after the update on them he gave up saying he could not see his targets half the time anymore while they where shooting him.
Some GV's having a better zoom then others i find. I am NOT  a GV,er though ,i just do it sometimes  ,so someone might be able to help you more.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »
The changes they made were no more drivers seat (less artwork so more vehicles could be added), auto transmissions (so "gamers" could play easier) and the sites were adjusted to more closely mimic their real counter parts.(so if the site sucked in a tank in real life it sucks here too)

Tankers often do a number of things to help tho. Adjust your graphics setting in game. They move the top slider to "faster" and the lower slider to ".5" range. I find that moving it that far down will remove the trees, but the targets as well. I set mine more like a quarter of the way up off the ".5" end. Next get use to doing everything from the commanders seat atop the tank. This includes gunning. The zoom still works up there and if you practice at it you can shoot from there and get kills. I don't spend much time in GVs so as my aim sucks in planes it is about as bad when it comes to ranging a GV  :P

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
T They move the top slider to "faster" and the lower slider to ".5" range. I find that moving it that far down will remove the trees, but the targets as well. I set mine more like a quarter of the way up off the ".5" end. Next get use to doing everything from the commanders seat atop the tank.
When i GV i just use the ground view f4, and don't touch sliders,do you think leaving view to (full) and just using sliders is better?
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
I do, because I can clear out some of the trees by using the sliders. If everyone was forced into using a set "ground view" I think it would make GVing a bit more fun as you would do more "hunting" than camping, but the out cry LOL!!!! As long as the option is there to clear out your view (to run weaker computers) your not going to be able to make a level playing field as such.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »
Some GV's having a better zoom then others i find.

Tank Gunsight Magnifications:

Panzer IV F & H: 2.4x
Panther, Tiger I, Tiger II: 2.5x / 5.0x
Jagdpanzer 38, Jagdpanzer IV: 5.0x
Jagdpanther: 10.0x

Sherman VC: 3.0x/6.0x

M4(75): 3x
M18, M4(76): 5x

T-34/76, T-34/85: 2.5x

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
I GV all the time.  I never touch my graphics settings.  They are as maxed as my machine can run them and the same as when I'm flying (three miles or max vis range for the slider Fugi's referring to).  I don't think most GVers do what Fugi's sugggesting.

As Lusche already posted most of the German tanks and anti-tank guns have a zoom feature that increases magnification.  The other GV's do not.  This makes it a lot easier to see in a German GV over others.

My favorite tank is the Panzer IIIF which doesn't have magnification.  I never gun from the commander's position unless I'm moving and unexpectedly run across someone but even then I try to stop and get into the gun.  The gunsight markings are too useful and to not use them against guys who can potentially one shot kill you is making a deadly mistake.  Even without magnification you can see potential targets more clearly from the gunsight than from the commanders position at full zoom.

So that smudge in the distance... yes, that might be your target depending on range.  For the most part I don't find them that hard to see unless they are hidden in trees or behind a ridge or something.  At extreme distance it's sometimes hard to tell what's a tank or a treetop poking over a ridgeline but again, to really be able to tell you have to be in the gunsight.  

As with everything else practice will get you where you need to be.  Gamey trickery will not and will more than likely hurt you over time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:15:52 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »
I GV all the time.  I never touch my graphics settings.  They are as maxed as my machine can run them and the same as when I'm flying (three miles or max vis range for the slider Fugi's referring to).  I don't think most GVers do what Fugi's sugggesting.

As Lusche already posted most of the German tanks and anti-tank guns have a zoom feature that increases magnification.  The other GV's do not.  This makes it a lot easier to see in a German GV over others.

My favorite tank is the Panzer IIIF which doesn't have magnification.  I never gun from the commander's position unless I'm moving and unexpectedly run across someone but even then I try to stop and get into the gun.  The gunsight markings are too useful and to not use them against guys who can potentially one shot kill you is making a deadly mistake.  Even without magnification you can see potential targets more clearly from the gunsight than from the commanders position at full zoom.

So that smudge in the distance... yes, that might be your target depending on range.  For the most part I don't find them that hard to see unless they are hidden in trees or behind a ridge or something.  At extreme distance it's sometimes hard to tell what's a tank or a treetop poking over a ridgeline but again, to really be able to tell you have to be in the gunsight. 

As with everything else practice will get you where you need to be.  Gamey trickery will not and will more than likely hurt you over time.

Baldeagle is right, rarely do I use the Commander position to shoot. The Gunsights provide a much better view for ranging and repeatable shooting. The commander position and Zoom view is OK for locating the enemy, then switching to the gunsights to engage. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »
I GV all the time.  I never touch my graphics settings.  They are as maxed as my machine can run them and the same as when I'm flying (three miles or max vis range for the slider Fugi's referring to).  I don't think most GVers do what Fugi's sugggesting.

As Lusche already posted most of the German tanks and anti-tank guns have a zoom feature that increases magnification.  The other GV's do not.  This makes it a lot easier to see in a German GV over others.

My favorite tank is the Panzer IIIF which doesn't have magnification.  I never gun from the commander's position unless I'm moving and unexpectedly run across someone but even then I try to stop and get into the gun.  The gunsight markings are too useful and to not use them against guys who can potentially one shot kill you is making a deadly mistake.  Even without magnification you can see potential targets more clearly from the gunsight than from the commanders position at full zoom.

So that smudge in the distance... yes, that might be your target depending on range.  For the most part I don't find them that hard to see unless they are hidden in trees or behind a ridge or something.  At extreme distance it's sometimes hard to tell what's a tank or a treetop poking over a ridgeline but again, to really be able to tell you have to be in the gunsight.  

As with everything else practice will get you where you need to be.  Gamey trickery will not and will more than likely hurt you over time.

I think you would be very surprised by how many do. I'd also stand by the "most" comment as well. It may be only 55% but that is still "most".

I agree that "game trickery" as you call it (others call it using the tools provided  :D ), is no substitute for practice. How ever I have worked with a number of "GVers" trying to get better at that part of the game and all have said those same things when teaching me. It must be pretty prevalent if it is what a number of them teach.

ridley asked and I gave him answers. It's up to him how he wants to use that information.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
I GV and fly with the same settings,, everything maxed out to the highest settings my computer will stand
,I rarely ever even change from full range view .
 :joystick:
Flying since tour 71.

Offline loony1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Don't forget to use "C" and "V" or your mouse's scroll wheel (when using mouse view) to adjust your range. Think its only available in the Panzer's, Panther, Tigers, Sherman, T34's, Jagdpanzers and Jagdpanther.
Loony2 Of "The Iron Saints"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
Don't forget to use "C" and "V" or your mouse's scroll wheel (when using mouse view) to adjust your range. Think its only available in the Panzer's, Panther, Tigers, Sherman, T34's, Jagdpanzers and Jagdpanther.

Only in German tanks.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
Thanks guys....
Looks like I'm going to have to determine enemy smudges from the surrounding landscape.

(squint! squint!)  How's about a new thread concerning opthamoligists?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:51 AM »
Keep in mind too, tank guys lay in wait for an attacker.  They have the advantage if you are charging.  I charge in like it was a furbal but it is like furbaling with a C47 if you go to their lair.  They get me every time, and I rarely ever see who was doing the shooting.  A tanker needs patience.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »

Does reducing graphics not only allow you to see through trees but shoot through them as well?  :headscratch: Many times you can't see the enemy tank through trees but his shells appear to pass right through the concrete trees to hit you.
    Seems an unfair advantage to game the game in this way.  :bhead
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.