Author Topic: got myself a mechanical keyboard  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: got myself a mechanical keyboard
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »
what I dislike is the windows key. Main reason I picked the steel series above other is the lack of left windows key.
I wonder if it were still possible to disable the left windows key in the Registry like in XP...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
I wonder if it were still possible to disable the left windows key in the Registry like in XP...

probably, I play starcraftII and in that game there is an option to disable windows keys.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 02:42:55 PM »
probably, I play starcraftII and in that game there is an option to disable windows keys.
When im playing games I simply pop the windows key off, works very well.
Also it seems the windows key is switched with the ALT key in that picture...
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:25 AM »
Filco here. I can't get use to the deep valley keys; I've always used flat keyboards with shallow valleys.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:54:42 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
Answering myself: Yes, disabling the Windows key is possible. Whaddayaknow, there's even a Microsoft FixIt for that, and of course another to bring it back: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216893  :rock
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »
Well I told my wife that I wanted the 104 trackball keyboard and she looked at me like I was nuts. She says I can only use it when she is down stairs and I have the door shut... lol But It should be under my tree this year. Can't wait :x

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »
anyone knows what is the cheapest mechanical keyboard?

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
If something has the word "gaming" on it you can bet its about 40$ overpriced.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

Cheapest mechanical keyboard is second hand IBM from a flea market or garage sale. Reproduction models cost upwards of 75 bucks.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:31 PM »
If something has the word "gaming" on it you can bet its about 40$ overpriced.

Gaming is 20$, pro-gaming is 40$  :)

That's the point of my question, is there anything in the stores under 70$?

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »
Gaming is 20$, pro-gaming is 40$  :)

That's the point of my question, is there anything in the stores under 70$?
My unicomp ultra classic buckling spring was about 75$ and its the best keyboard money can buy that is new. No flashy back lighting, no "gaming modes" which somehow make you a better gamer, and its about 5lbs. But its US made and VERY sturdy. I can't count how many times this keyboard has had stuff spilled on it, just flip it over let liquid drain plug in 30 mins later and chug along. One time I had a window break in my room during a rather bad storm which caused the death of my "gaming quality razer flashy lights etc" mouse to die. The keyboard lived, not only did it live but it was still on when i came back 2 hours later lol.

EDIT: One thing you will actually notice sometimes when gaming is that this keyboard is rated for only 2 key roll over. Meaning by spec only 2 keys are going to be registered at once. however most key combos allow for 3-4 KRO but it was still an issue for some MMO games. I took it apart and added simple switching diodes between the rows on the membrane pad where the hammer strikes after a key has been pressed. Testing shows its now 6 KRO (besides function keys but meh). But 2 KRO is fine for typing and for aces high and most FPS games.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:59:04 PM by olds442 »

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »
My unicomp ultra classic buckling spring was about 75$ and its the best keyboard money can buy that is new. No flashy back lighting, no "gaming modes" which somehow make you a better gamer, and its about 5lbs. But its US made and VERY sturdy. I can't count how many times this keyboard has had stuff spilled on it, just flip it over let liquid drain plug in 30 mins later and chug along. One time I had a window break in my room during a rather bad storm which caused the death of my "gaming quality razer flashy lights etc" mouse to die. The keyboard lived, not only did it live but it was still on when i came back 2 hours later lol.

EDIT: One thing you will actually notice sometimes when gaming is that this keyboard is rated for only 2 key roll over. Meaning by spec only 2 keys are going to be registered at once. however most key combos allow for 3-4 KRO but it was still an issue for some MMO games. I took it apart and added simple switching diodes between the rows on the membrane pad where the hammer strikes after a key has been pressed. Testing shows its now 6 KRO (besides function keys but meh). But 2 KRO is fine for typing and for aces high and most FPS games.

This steelseries I'm using is rated 105 keys rollover  :lol

I like it so much I was thinking to get another one for work (HP membrane keyboards are meh) but 70$ is a bit over what I'm willing to put in it, hence my question.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
This steelseries I'm using is rated 105 keys rollover  :lol

I like it so much I was thinking to get another one for work (HP membrane keyboards are meh) but 70$ is a bit over what I'm willing to put in it, hence my question.
Key roll overs above 6 is too much really... Are you going to be pushing that many keys at once anyways? besides on USB 2.0 im sure more than 6 KRO is a buffer overload...

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
I made mention prior to Olds posting I had ordered one of these to try out as well.  I've had my unicomp for a little while now.

I have to agree with Olds442.  Next to the original IBM mechanical, it's easily the best, due to the buckling key patent they're using from IBM.  I've tried several other modern mechanicals, and while they are vastly superior to a regular keyboard, none of them capture that....clickness that the original IBM keybaords had, hence me grabbing so many of them when I was given a chance.  The unicomp however is IMO the equal to the IBM in terms of keyboard "feel" while typing, and can be had new for under 100$ incl shipping.  I've had no trouble playing FPS or any other game with it, and while I miss the backlit keyboard sometimes, I'm not often playing in the dark anyway.  My Razers have been sitting idle since the day I unboxed the unicomp, and will continue to do so until I probably end up giving them away to somebody local who hears my whole "mechanical" speech and doesn't know wth I'm talking about.

+2 for the Unicomp.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 03:06:08 AM »
Key roll overs above 6 is too much really... Are you going to be pushing that many keys at once anyways? besides on USB 2.0 im sure more than 6 KRO is a buffer overload...

agreed its overkill and it wasn't the main reason I chose it. I understand they put an additional buffer in the keyboard itself.