Author Topic: Mobile (towed) Artillery  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Odyssey

• Zinc Member
Mobile (towed) Artillery
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
Like to see 'towed' artillery added. Use existing GVs to tow them.
Uses range from anti-tank, soft targets (towns) to anti-personnel.
Loaded out of AP, HE and Incendiary. (Love to see a Town a blaze)
Varying ranges, short or long (5000 to 30,000 yards)
Varying rounds per minute, from 3-4 up to 12

Many to choose from....

German    17cm Kanone 18 Towed Heavy Field Gun (1941)
  American  M114 155mm (155mm Howitzer M1) (1941)
  Japanese  Type 1 47mm Anti-Tank Gun 47mm Anti-Tank Gun (1942)
  American  M3 (105mm Howitzer M3) (1943)
  Russian    MT-13 Long-Range Towed Heavy Mortar (1943)
  British      QF 25-pounder Short Field Gun / Howitzer (1943)
  Russian    ZiS-2 57mm Anti-Tank Gun (1943)
  German   10.5-cm leFH 18/40 Towed Howitzer (1944)
  Russian    100mm Model 1944 (BS-3) Towed Artillery / Anti-Tank Gun (1944)

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/ww2-artillery.asp

Like LST's and Subs, this would help round out the game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:10:53 PM by Odyssey »

"ADMIT NOTHING, DENY EVERYTHING, MAKE COUNTER ACCUSATIONS"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Mobile (towed) Artillery
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
Like to see 'towed' artillery added. Use existing GVs to tow them.
Uses range from anti-tank, soft targets (towns) to anti-personnel.
Loaded out of AP, HE and Incendiary. (Love to see a Town a blaze)
Varying ranges, short or long (5000 to 30,000 yards)
Varying rounds per minute, from 3-4 up to 12

Many to choose from....

German    17cm Kanone 18 Towed Heavy Field Gun (1941)
  American  M114 155mm (155mm Howitzer M1) (1941)
  Japanese  Type 1 47mm Anti-Tank Gun 47mm Anti-Tank Gun (1942)
  American  M3 (105mm Howitzer M3) (1943)
  Russian    MT-13 Long-Range Towed Heavy Mortar (1943)
  British      QF 25-pounder Short Field Gun / Howitzer (1943)
  Russian    ZiS-2 57mm Anti-Tank Gun (1943)
  German   10.5-cm leFH 18/40 Towed Howitzer (1944)
  Russian    100mm Model 1944 (BS-3) Towed Artillery / Anti-Tank Gun (1944)

http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/ww2-artillery.asp

Like LST's and Subs, this would help round out the game.

+1
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:07 PM »
I agree that artillery could be a useful part of the AH ground game. However, I think the best way to implement arty would be to simply add it to a chassis already in game and make it self propelled artillery.   :aok  The M7 Priest with the 105mm howitzer is a prime example.  They could also add in another M3 variant as well (w/ 105mm), come to think of it the SdKfz 251 had a arty piece (10.5cm?) mounted as well.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »
I would like this, but there would need to be some sort of spotter system in place. For instance, like in BF3, if we had our clipboard up and a friendly was with in about 1K, it would show a circle on the map where it hit, with the circle getting smaller and smaller depending on the proximity of the hit to a friendly.
 :salute
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:27:29 AM »
I would like this, but there would need to be some sort of spotter system in place. For instance, like in BF3, if we had our clipboard up and a friendly was with in about 1K, it would show a circle on the map where it hit, with the circle getting smaller and smaller depending on the proximity of the hit to a friendly.
 :salute

I say the best thing for a "spotter" system would be to allow for the "land fire" more like on the naval guns, and better yet allow for the Storch to spawn in with the gv's.  The Storch was carted along to the front via trailer, it wasn't slown everywhere.  A combination of those two things would be great! 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »
I say the best thing for a "spotter" system would be to allow for the "land fire" more like on the naval guns, and better yet allow for the Storch to spawn in with the gv's.  The Storch was carted along to the front via trailer, it wasn't slown everywhere.  A combination of those two things would be great! 
Hadn't thought of that! That makes more sense now that I think about it. :salute
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
I agree that artillery could be a useful part of the AH ground game. However, I think the best way to implement arty would be to simply add it to a chassis already in game and make it self propelled artillery.   :aok  The M7 Priest with the 105mm howitzer is a prime example.  They could also add in another M3 variant as well (w/ 105mm), come to think of it the SdKfz 251 had a arty piece (10.5cm?) mounted as well.   

This would seem to be a quicker solution than having to come up with a way to tow, unhitch, hitch, etc with towed guns.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
This would seem to be a quicker solution than having to come up with a way to tow, unhitch, hitch, etc with towed guns.

Regards,

Hammer

Exactly my point.  Why develop an an entirely new vehicle or two when really all HTC would have to model is the upper hull, gun mount, gun, and gun ballistics, etc.  The M4 Sherman is already there for the M7 Priest to be built on.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »
Anyone remember the artillery system from Dawn of Aces?  You'd fly in one of the two-man a/c over your target area, then select a spot on the map and radio for a spotting round from a fixed arty battery.  This is similar to "land mode" for naval arty.  The round would come in and you would then send a text message to adjust range and azimuth.  In AH, this could be done as a coop activity, with a second player training the guns for the spotter, or the arty could be auto, like DoA's.  Bases would need fixed arty for counter-battery, so you could lift in a storch, find the arty shelling your base, and then direct your base arty to counter-battery the attacker.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »
Anyone remember the artillery system from Dawn of Aces?  You'd fly in one of the two-man a/c over your target area, then select a spot on the map and radio for a spotting round from a fixed arty battery.  This is similar to "land mode" for naval arty.  The round would come in and you would then send a text message to adjust range and azimuth.  In AH, this could be done as a coop activity, with a second player training the guns for the spotter, or the arty could be auto, like DoA's.  Bases would need fixed arty for counter-battery, so you could lift in a storch, find the arty shelling your base, and then direct your base arty to counter-battery the attacker.
Also a good option :salute

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »
If we want them to be used as more than assault guns, I feel like a 150mm caliber gun would be best. Even 5" (127mm) requires a pretty near hit to take out buildings.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 10:39:17 PM »
If we want them to be used as more than assault guns, I feel like a 150mm caliber gun would be best. Even 5" (127mm) requires a pretty near hit to take out buildings.

Not if you go by the current damage model.  The German 88mm (both versions) and the Soviet 85mm do 234lbs of damage.  Compare the actual explosive capacity of those three rounds then compare the US 155mm or German 150mm artillery.  IF HTC continues the scaling as it has it will make short work of a town just by splash damage alone regardless if the bug guns do 312 lbs of damage.  Then again, HTC still has not given the 28cm rocket its due, while they did improve the damage it still lags behind where it should be in terms of destructive power.   

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 01:50:09 AM »
This would be the new way of capping a base, 10km away from it.

Just set up a barrage of 3 guns and no one can take off.

With new GV icon  system they are also close to impossible to track since we do not have smoke from shooting GV/Guns
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »
This would be the new way of capping a base, 10km away from it.

Just set up a barrage of 3 guns and no one can take off.

With new GV icon  system they are also close to impossible to track since we do not have smoke from shooting GV/Guns

Do the 5in naval guns ever "camp" an airfield?  It is very difficult to get 5in guns coordinated let along close enough to the end of a run way to "cap" it. I've seen it where the 8in guns from the cruiser have the end of the runway zeroed in but even then planes get up between volleys. 

The Panzer IV has long range smoke, and the Storch can mark them well enough too. 

I dont think arty would be as dominating as you think, it would still have to be used in conjunction with other systems. 

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
Do the 5in naval guns ever "camp" an airfield?  It is very difficult to get 5in guns coordinated let along close enough to the end of a run way to "cap" it. I've seen it where the 8in guns from the cruiser have the end of the runway zeroed in but even then planes get up between volleys. 

The Panzer IV has long range smoke, and the Storch can mark them well enough too. 

I dont think arty would be as dominating as you think, it would still have to be used in conjunction with other systems. 

And, it would horribly vulnerable to counter-attack.  Towed arty if not just thin-skinned; it's no-skinned!  Unless several players cooperate to protect it, just about anything with a gun on it can take it out.  In the DoA implementation I wrote about, it was not at all unbalancing, though in that case it was also not mobile.  What might be a good way to maintain balance with mobile arty is to only be able to spawn one gun per player.  To be affective, a group of players would need to set up close to each other, and share az/el info from the spotter.  I would note that, if an M3 is used as the tow vehicle, you could always jump in the MG to protect it, but you would not be able to fire the arty while doing so.

Another idea is for a player to be able to "build" a protective berm around his/her towed gun, if they remain stationary long enough.  Imagine that you pull up within arty range of your target.  You press a key that deploys your gun (similar to lowering or raising landing gear, though it might take a bit longer; say 1 min), which effectively immobilizes the gun until you "un-deploy".  A second key press begins construction of a protective, 3-sided berm around the guns (time to complete, say 5 minutes), providing some protection from direct fire and near-misses, once it is complete.  The gun could not be fired while the berm is under construction.  You can still bug-out with the gun (after 1 min "un-deploy" time); the berm would simply disappear as soon as you begin towing the gun away.  This would have a bit of a "Command-and-Conquer" feel to it, I think.  This idea of being able to construct temporary facilities is what's missing from the air-land battle of AH, IMO; it was the idea behind my FOB suggestion from several weeks ago.  I.e. a deployable, but temporary base to conduct limited operations from.  It would add a dynamic element to the MA that is sorely lacking.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."