Author Topic: MA Off-peak is dying  (Read 14859 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: MA Off-peak is dying
« Reply #270 on: November 26, 2013, 05:11:58 PM »
+1..

holy !@$% PFactorDave is back?! Good to see you sir.  :salute

Thanks!  Good to be back!  Except for the part where I suck even more than before my break.  That's a lot of sucking!

I have been having fun though.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #271 on: November 26, 2013, 05:37:13 PM »
Nobody would care but I would quit with that price...   Not worth it.
If you actually read my previous posts, the $19.95 meant a 33% increase in revenue to hire more staff and update/add more aircraft, vehicles, subs, ships and gameplay improvements like better terrains.  Not just bump it up to $20 bucks a month for no reason.  That is worth $4.99 a month IMHO and the price of a 5-bucks latte.  Think we could do with one less latte for a much better Aces High?

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2013, 05:42:36 PM »
If you actually read my previous posts, the $19.95 meant a 33% increase in revenue

That sounds like a fact, but it's an assumption. One that I personally would believe to come true, because it doesn't take into account the effect on subscription numbers, both current & future.

Think we could do with one less latte for a much better Aces High?

I can't. Or better: I won't, and most certainly my wife won't, who is paying my account ;)
Many other's wont as well, because price barriers don't work that simple. There is a (mostly psychological) limit how much consumers are wiling to spend for a certain product. Once past that level, number of purchases drop of rather rapidly, even if it's "just a tad more".

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:45:28 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »

Many other's wont as well, because price barriers don't work that simple. There is a (mostly psychological) limit how much consumers are wiling to spend for a certain product. Once past that level, number of purchases drop of rather rapidly, even if it's "just a tad more".

This is very true.  A well run company will balance retention, new accounts, and subscription costs very carefully to try and hit that sweet spot where everything is maximized.  Not an easy trick.  I assume that for years and years, HTC has felt that 14.95 was that sweet spot.

I simply wonder if maybe the sweet spot for a game that appears somewhat dated these days may actually be lower than 14.95...

My hope is that HTC can really freshen things up with the new terrain system and hopefully, a few other surprises to bring the game into a new era.  Enough so that 14.95 becomes the sweet spot again.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
Once a post like this starts up, it becomes more of a community venting process for frustrations with the game and it's creator. Very often the timing is on the tipping point of a change. At the moment it's rather obvious player numbers have tapered off along with poor game play and the subsequent insecurities being aired about the future of the game.

So how long are you going to flog Hitech even though he has announced a rather dramatic upcoming change to the game?

I do hope Hitech will release something more for us to look at that shows our future environment to come with how our aircraft, vehicles and ground objects together will look to us when we finally get to download the new changed version. That's often a good indicator he is very close to releasing the new update.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
Some of you may remember a time when AH actually was F2P...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
Once a post like this starts up, it becomes more of a community venting process for frustrations with the game and it's creator. Very often the timing is on the tipping point of a change. At the moment it's rather obvious player numbers have tapered off along with poor game play and the subsequent insecurities being aired about the future of the game.

So how long are you going to flog Hitech even though he has announced a rather dramatic upcoming change to the game?

I do hope Hitech will release something more for us to look at that shows our future environment to come with how our aircraft, vehicles and ground objects together will look to us when we finally get to download the new changed version. That's often a good indicator he is very close to releasing the new update.

the OP just wanted mall maps in Euro/Pac time , not 3000 dissertions on how to fix the game.

I come from a land downunder

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »
I think new players would be best helped if there was an actual, scheduled training curriculum hosted and run by the trainers in the TA.

Course topics might include topics as basic as setting up your controllers and getting off the ground to more advanced topics like BFM, bombing and dive bombing in attack mode.

Combine that with a one month free trial and an actual game manual (I printed the original out and stuck it in a three ring binder divided by topic and had it beside me every time I played starting out) and potential new subscribers wouldn't feel so lost when they first jump into the game.

I've seen guys sitting on the runway trying to figure out how to start their engine or keep their bomber moving in a straight line or going 1 mph in a GV and when I tried to help they obviously hadn't even figured out the comms system.  I'd guess most if not all of those were lost subscriptions.

It will do little good to draw a whole bunch of new people into the game only to have them leave in frustration.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: November 26, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
the OP just wanted mall maps in Euro/Pac time , not 3000 dissertions on how to fix the game.
very true Redd.

But fixing the playability of maps for off hours due to dwindling numbers isn't just throwing a map on an arena and hope it sticks/fixes the issue.  Could it be as simple as it just opens up the debate as to how to we fix it correctly than address a symptom?

If you keep stubbing your toe on a coffee table, is the solution to just move the table or do you ask other questions, like is the table too big or is the issue  bigger than the table?  Are we not just curious about the issue and being guys, want to fix it for good?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2013, 06:01:34 AM »
I think new players would be best helped if there was an actual, scheduled training curriculum hosted and run by the trainers in the TA.

Course topics might include topics as basic as setting up your controllers and getting off the ground to more advanced topics like BFM, bombing and dive bombing in attack mode.

Combine that with a one month free trial and an actual game manual (I printed the original out and stuck it in a three ring binder divided by topic and had it beside me every time I played starting out) and potential new subscribers wouldn't feel so lost when they first jump into the game.

I've seen guys sitting on the runway trying to figure out how to start their engine or keep their bomber moving in a straight line or going 1 mph in a GV and when I tried to help they obviously hadn't even figured out the comms system.  I'd guess most if not all of those were lost subscriptions.

It will do little good to draw a whole bunch of new people into the game only to have them leave in frustration.

Great point but I think some of the XBOX gen don't want to learn, they just want fast action :salute
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
Great point but I think some of the XBOX gen don't want to learn, they just want fast action :salute

19 pages and I couldn't read them all but did anyone suggest running some AI missions in the MA off peak? I know when I fought them in the AVA they were tough although you can get them to auger like noobs.  :D

Would that interest the Euro players? Having something to shoot at is better than flying around the lonely skies.  :airplane:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »

You might be right about some...  But wouldn't it be nice to create some systems that will make it more noob friendly for the others who are willing to learn?

The worst thing that could be done is to simply throw up our hands and say nothing can be done because xbox gen blah blah blah.

This is a niche game, we need to pursue niche players.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
  19 pages and I couldn't read them all but did anyone suggest running some AI missions in the MA off peak? I know when I fought them in the AVA they were tough although you can get them to auger like noobs.  :D

Would that interest the Euro players? Having something to shoot at is better than flying around the lonely skies.  :airplane:

now that would be cool.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »

More like instant gratification....if you can't win easily then buy something that will turn the tables...or quit..
and if none of that works...cheat...
 talking with my son and nephews about this stuff ...it clearly comes across as the norm these days

although it is known as glitching...not cheating....if you find a good glitch you are the man!!!

My eldest nephew actually only plays games to find the glitch..

To be fair though...he loves AH  but can't afford to play....and it is not a price thing ...it is a lazy SOB who won't work thing... so he gets no money..

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:11:36 PM by SPKmes »

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #284 on: November 27, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »
One of my nephews is a gamer since he's a baby almost, after a while he realized that every block buster is basically the same game, and now looks for small independent gems. These gems usually cost 30$ one time grand max on steam.

It's hard to talk someone into playing aces high when you announce its an independent game costing 15$ a month, fixed price, and that you need to enter your credit card that goes to an unknown database for monthly milking. I thrust HTC but new people don't just yet and the interface doesn't feel securised.

Also for 15$ you can get every major MMO out there.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:22:18 PM by SirNuke »