Author Topic: iPhone or Samsung ??  (Read 621 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
iPhone or Samsung ??
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
Need a new phone, been with iphone since 3gs..
but its busted now..so
New iphone 5s or new samsung galaxy S4
bit bored of iphone so leaning towards samsung..
any one any views?
cheers
<S> Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: iPhone or Samsung ??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
Neither

Get something made by Motorola.  I've been using them for years and they work in places that samsungs and i phones don't.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
Try Samung galaxy note 3 ; love it, impressive design, screen ,battery  and great camera with pano and HDR postprocessing software incorporated.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
Samsung S4 here. Great phone. I recommend it.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
Iphone 5s

Just came from android and will never go back :salute

By the way Iphone much better quality
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
Bought a Samsung Xcovery to my younger kid. Total POS. Not going to touch Samsung again. After listening to the kid complain long enough I decided to upgrade my wifes iPhone and give the kid her old iPhone. Now they're both happy again.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »
IMO the top Androids are the LG G2 and the Xperia Z1

I've got the Xperia Z1 and its pretty much a beast on every aspect, including build quality, which is important when compared to an Iphone.

Its interesting to see that apple's market share is pretty different on US soil, still around 50%, while Android is dominant on the rest of the planet.

Fashion victims?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:32:42 PM by SirNuke »

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:47 PM »
HTC makes some good phones...Motorola too. Stay away from iphones unless you want to feel like you're in 1st grade...no customizing it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »
Bought a Samsung Xcovery to my younger kid. Total POS. Not going to touch Samsung again. After listening to the kid complain long enough I decided to upgrade my wifes iPhone and give the kid her old iPhone. Now they're both happy again.

Xcover 2 without contract is about 250€, and you compare it to 500€+ phones.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Xcover 2 without contract is about 250€, and you compare it to 500€+ phones.

It runs android which is same to all the models. And it's a total pile of excrement even if you forget all the security problems.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
Every summer, my family all gets together with all of our spouses and kids at a house on a lake in Northern Wisconsin.  Where the house is located is just outside of the Verizon coverage area, and within in the AT&T coverage area.

My sister and her husband both have iPhones and AT&T service.  Neither of their phones work, even though they are supposedly within the coverage.  It will take my sister's iphone a couple hours to send a simple text message.

My oldest daughter has a Samsung, I forget which model (she has had several of them, because they apparently break easily)...  No service for her up there either.

My wife and I both have Motorola phones, and even though we have Verizon service (which we are actually not even in a Verizon zone while we are there, if you look at the coverage map), our phones work just like they do here at home.  Flawlessly.

I actually take great joy in pointing out to my daughter (usually while she is struggling to text her boyfriend on her crap Samsung phone) that I am able to send texts with ease, make and receive phone calls normally, and surf the internet with no problems on my Motorola phone.  My favorite thing is to call my wife (who is in the next room) and carry on a conversation for a few minutes, hang up, and ask my daughter if her text has sent yet.   :rofl

For my purposes, I have yet to see a phone out perform my motorola.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
Iphone 5s

:rofl    My Galaxy S3 was submerged for a 1/2 hour and still works flawlessly.   I have dropped it off of a couple of roofs with only a Seidio Surface case and no screen protector.    If "better quality" = the crappiest batteries and battery life, then Apple has that market cornered.   Not to mention, I have 300+ albums on my 32GB microSD and still have 3GB for pictures.   Plus, I don't have to bother with iTunes.   Drag and drop.

Jimmy C, I would look into the GalaxyS4 or the LG G2 and the Xperia Z1, as SirNuke suggested.   Those are the only three I would look at with money involved.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 10:34:14 PM »
Iphone 5s

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Iphone isn't any better than any other phone maker. It has never been.

Apple admittedly makes good phones, though their computer OS is clearly intended for the special ed of the computing world. But what they do is sell the brand, and the do it very well. Notice what they did with the headphones; they changed the shape and called it revolutionary, despite the fact that there is virtually no benefits in sound quality to all but the cheapest of headphones, and not any more comfortable than a decent pair of in-ear speakers.

Now compare it to Nokia, and Iphone looks like the cheap diecast car compared to a real Shelby Mustang. I swear to god Nokias should be used as armor on MBT's.

You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Iphone isn't any better than any other phone maker. It has never been.

Apple admittedly makes good phones, though their computer OS is clearly intended for the special ed of the computing world. But what they do is sell the brand, and the do it very well. Notice what they did with the headphones; they changed the shape and called it revolutionary, despite the fact that there is virtually no benefits in sound quality to all but the cheapest of headphones, and not any more comfortable than a decent pair of in-ear speakers.

Now compare it to Nokia, and Iphone looks like the cheap diecast car compared to a real Shelby Mustang. I swear to god Nokias should be used as armor on MBT's.

The only smartphone I've ever damaged the screen on through dropping was my girlfriend's Nokia Lumia (granted the circumstances were extraneous and on that same road trip it survived a fall into a New Hampshire mountain stream), although I've never had the chance to break the screen on the iPhones my friends have had, which seem to come from the factory pre-shattered, case or no case.
The Lumia has a great camera though

My S3's screen was bullet proof, even though I never put a case on it the phone was structurally sound, though it did start to develop some issues with, for example, the lock button.
I have an S4 now that I've put a case on, I'm pretty pleased with it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:43:17 PM by Motherland »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
The only smartphone I've ever damaged the screen on through dropping was my girlfriend's Nokia Lumia
It has a great camera though

Really? My friends decided to take my old Nokia and literally throw it (and the guy is now going to school on a scholarship for his pitching) down the high school bleachers last year. Superficial damage only.

Then again, the Lumia does have a solid glass front now, so who knows.

My brother got the SIII, and He's sent it through the wash no less than 4 times now. Only issue is the microphone doesn't work now, unless on speakerphone.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:43:13 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"